Alternative jobs

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherguy111, Sep 10, 2021.

1. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Sep 10, 2021

Have you ever thought about another job inside or outside a school?
    I have thought about school counseling but the internship is just too long in my state. I couldn't do it while teaching. I currently teach 4th grade ela. I have a masters in Ed tech which gave me the computers/technology license k-12. Then I have a just completed a k-12 licensure for special Ed. I would also love to try teaching a college class to see what it's like.

Iris1001 likes this.
  3. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Sep 10, 2021

The jobs outside education I've considered never seem as exciting or fulfilling to me. They'd just be jobs to go to and then leave. I can't do that, I'd be bored out of my mind.

I am eventually hoping to become an instructional coach, maybe admin, or curriculum development within a district at some point. I still want to teach for a little longer, but I think I'd be really good at mentoring teachers or developing curriculum.

4. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Sep 10, 2021

I do think working with teachers would be fun. But wouldn't like being a principal. I would definitely love if my district hired a tech coach. I feel qualified and confident enough to do the job right now already. We've hired some from outside the district but I'd love if we had one hired by the actual district.

5. Iris1001

Iris1001 Rookie

Sep 10, 2021

Teaching college is a lot of fun. I've been doing it for two years now and love it. :heart:

6. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Sep 10, 2021

What classes do you teach? I'd love to try it an an extra to start with.

7. Iris1001

Iris1001 Rookie

Oct 5, 2021

I teach English Composition 101 at my local community college. It's truly a wonderful opportunity. What class would you be interested in teaching? :)

8. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Oct 5, 2021

That's great! I'd like to teach Ed Tech. I am leading a few sessions on Ed Tech at a conference at a local University next month. I'm excited for that and hope it may lead to more opportunities.

Iris1001 likes this.
  9. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Oct 5, 2021

I have thought that I would probably like to teach Talented and Gifted (TAG) in my state OR in my district we have a position called Challenge. Thinking is as far as I get with it.

Outside of school, I could be a training coordinator. All of us here are far over qualified. For 11 years I worked for a subsidiary of a Fortune 1000 company. We had a training coordinator in the company. The 2 people that held that position never had to teach. They only found trainers to teach us, scheduled the events, and ordered our catered food. It was the biggest bullshat job in the whole company and everyone knew it. It was also the first job to get the axe when times were tough.