Alternative consequence to losing recess??

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by mel-bel, Jul 30, 2009.

1. mel-bel

mel-bel Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

I like my behavior system (changing colors, moving up/sown depending on behavior). The only thing I don't like is the loss of recess. I LOVE the fact that most kids find it to be an awful consequence so they usually change their behavior after the warning and never have to lose their recess. I HATE having kids in my room during recess and if I have them sit on the wall or something, they don't do it. Besides, I think they need that time to get their wiggles out, etc. Does anyone have a suggestion of what I could do instead?

BTW, the consequences are warning, lose recess, contact parent, principal.

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2009

I won't ever take a whole recess away (unless they are in office) because in the end, I am really the one who suffers because Johnny is getting his wiggles out in my classroom instead of outside. I am looking more into Love and Logic and having the kids be self-reflective and problem-solvers. I have found that clips don't work with me...good luck. I look forward to seeing the different responses.

4. old n new

old n new Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

I have made my kids run or walk a certain number of laps around the playground or for a certain amount of time. One parent commented that her son would like that consequence because he loves to run. However, her son did not like it at all. Running to play and running as a consequence are two totally different things.

5. teach12

teach12 Companion

Jul 30, 2009

I also have my students walk during their "missing recess" time. At first, when you explain to them that they will be walking during part of their recess, they seem to think "Oh, that will be fun!" They quickly find out it is not all that fun to walk in a square while the rest of the friends are running around and playing with each other!! It seems to work well for me, and that way they are still getting some energy out, which also helps me! I also very rarely take away all of a students recess...it has to be something MAJOR for me to do that because like was already mentioned....that is really just a punishment for yourself!!

6. mel-bel

mel-bel Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

Are you out there watching as they run/walk? I'm 5 months pregnant and can't see myself out on the playground during recess, unless I have yard duty.

Maybe I can incorporate some free time at the end of the day (like 5-10 minutes max) and those kids who would usually "owe recess" would have to write a note about why they missed free time.

I'm just trying to get away from using recess as a consequence. What do you think?

7. aek471

aek471 Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

I will sometimes give my kids silent lunch. It means I have to give up my 20 minute lunch period and sit with them, but they're being quiet anyway. They HATE being quiet during lunch, esp when they see everyone around the talking. Sometimes it's a whole class silent lunch, sometimes just certain kids. Seems to work like a charm.

8. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 30, 2009

I like the idea of silent lunch. I don't think our recess monitors would be okay with keeping an eye on students I had walking and I wouldn't want to give up my recess prep time. I haven't tried silent lunch though..hmm...

9. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2009

I love that idea. I think it's more reflective on the part of the child instead of punitive.

10. mel-bel

mel-bel Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

Reflection

Does anyone have a form I could use/modify for my reflection writing?

It would have to be pretty simple at the beginning of the year, not to much writing for the kiddos, and then could maybe get have writing space towards the end.

11. old n new

old n new Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

I usually have one recess duty a day anyway so the walking works for me. But if I didn't have duty, I agree that I wouldn't want to give up my time in the classroom. We have a 30 minute Fun Friday. One teacher takes the kids who need to finish work or have been in trouble a lot during the week. Those kids finish work or write a letter to their parents about why they missed Fun Friday. The other teacher takes the rest of the kids for a fun activity.

12. teach12

teach12 Companion

Jul 31, 2009

I think you just have to find something that works for you. The walking at recess thing is my ticket. Our whole team does the same thing, and we are the only ones out at our recess time so none of the other teachers mind watching my kids, just as I don't mind watching their kids. I know being outside for recess when you are pregnant is no fun! I was nine months pregnant at the end of last year and had recess duty 2-3 times a week! I have tried the quiet at lunch thing, but we have SO many kids in there at that time, that that would too hard to inforce. There is only 1 teacher on lunch duty...and the whole time is spent opening food, milk, and cleaning up messes; not enough time to make sure kids are not talking. And our cafeteria is small so there is not much room to move kids away from others. I like the idea of having free time at the end of the day, but I don't have extra time for that, and I know I would hardly ever do it. So, like I said...you just may have to try different options and find what will work for your class....every class is different and you just have to find the ticket!!

13. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 31, 2009

In the past I have had kids walk laps during recess. They have also done lunch detention (separate table from friends) and loss of computer class time (not required). This year I am just doing time outs and loss of Fun Friday. We started doing Fun Friday the last few months of school last year and the kids didn't like losing it.

14. taryn_liz

taryn_liz Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

At my school, it's easiest to walk laps. If I'm not out there, there's about 5 other teachers that are willing to watch my kids...as long as I watch there's on my recess duties. I find that making them walk at least keeps them active, versus just standing against the wall or sitting on the bench.

15. mel-bel

mel-bel Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

Question about Fun Friday

If I use free/fun time as a consequence for negative behavior, I'd rather do something like Fun Friday and have all of my offenders do their time at once instead of having some free time at the end of every day but I'm worried that too much time has gone by for the consequence to really be effective. For example, Sarah breaks the rules on Monday and would normally sit out part of her recess that day but now doesn't receive the consequence until she misses out on part on Fun Friday.

What are your thoughts on this? How effective is it?

16. teach12

teach12 Companion

Aug 3, 2009

I agree with you that it wouldn't be very effective in those type of situations, especially with such young kids. I like my students to come in everyday with a "clean slate."

Maybe you could do something (basically the same thing, just word it differently) Instead of it being a consequence for negative behavior, Fun Friday could be a reward for positive behavior. Each day that they have acceptable behavior (whatever you determine that to be) they could "earn 5 mintues" of Fun Friday time. So, If Johnny has great behavior Monday-Friday, he earned 25 minutes of time. Then if Sally only has 3 days that week of great behavior, she only earns 15 mintues. Maybe that would help them if they are trying to earn something rather than not lose something....does that make since???

17. mel-bel

mel-bel Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

Great suggestion

I really like that! I think that sounds managable and fair. I'm going to try it.:) Thanks for the help!

18. foxteach1

foxteach1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2009

I did the same thing! Works like a charm, and it's win-win for you!

19. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2009

We are not legally allowed to take any recess away in my state. So- I use "take a break" and also use time off our "fun friday" end of day time if need be. I also believe greatly in Apology of Action and use it a lot.

20. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2009

Would this be some kind of reflection statement or something?

21. mel-bel

mel-bel Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

I think I've decided.....

At the end of every day we'll have "file folder fun." The kids can play file folder games for 5 minutes. Anyone who broke rules will have to fill out a reflection form instead of playing games. I just finished creating a TON of file folder games so students can choose to play by themselves or with a partner.

WHat do you think?

22. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2009

I think it would take 5 minutes to set up and put away the games.

It took some of my kids longer than 5 mins to write reflections. I don't know...the thought of something at the end of the day just doesn't sit well with me.

But - if you can deal, it sounds great.

Maybe I'm just not a file folder kind of person. I don't know. Maybe I just don't know what file folder games are, lol.

23. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2009

I think the kids would love it and I like the immediacy of your plan. Plus, it doesn't take away recess.

I agree that 5 minutes might be too little time. Maybe 15 minutes?

24. mel-bel

mel-bel Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

Maybe 10 minutes?

I don't want it to take up too much time, but you're probably right about the time. So maybe 15 minutes at the beginning of the year and then shorten it to 10 once the procedures are in place. I have all my file folders in a crate and I think I'm going to let my kiddos keep one at their desk at all times for early finishers, so that should cut time on distributing. I really like this basic idea, now I just have to iron out the detials. Good thing I have another two weeks to figure it out.

Does anyone have a reflection form I could borrow/steal? I'm thinking maybe just draw a picture at first and then add lines for sentences as the year progresses.

TIA

25. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

I haven't ready everyone's posts yet, so maybe this is something that's already been mentioned. Maybe you could work on it with them in the beginning...or even all year. If you only have 1 or 2 kids...give them the form and read it to them. Ask them the questions and make them give the answers. Questions like, why did I miss my free time today? and What can I do differently tomorrow to keep my free time? You could write their answers in the begining and have them write them later in the year. Just have them "sign" it and put a "sign and return" sticker or stamp on it if you want it taken home. Or you can keep it on file and not contact parents until you decide it's time.

26. Fairborn

Fairborn Rookie

Aug 19, 2009

Can you offer the "criminals" a way to earn back their recess?

27. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2009

Yes. Sometimes I have the child write a note to another or I will have them figure out how to "fix" whatever was "broken" be it feelings or things.

28. kwiatt1st

kwiatt1st Rookie

Aug 25, 2009

I was reading this the other day, about having the kids run laps doing recess and I love it. Each student in my class gets three paper suns to keep in their desk. They act as their three warnings after I have taken away all their suns I call their parent and last year I had the kids sit out during some of their recess. Today I have one running laps for me. At first he thought it was funny, after the 2nd or 3rd lap is wasnt so funny. He behaved very well the rest of the day. Thank you for the idea!