Alternative Certification

Discussion in 'General Education' started by littlebit18000, Jun 26, 2008.

1. littlebit18000

littlebit18000 Rookie

Jun 26, 2008

For those of you teachers who went thru alternative certification did anybody not pass there first probationary year.

I read a report stating that about 60% of new teachers who go thru alternative certification do not pass there first year.

Thats a scary though,has anyboy known someone who went thru there first year and didn't get the ok from the principle therefor did not get fully certified.

3. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Jun 26, 2008

I went through alt cert, and know many others who also did. No one I know had any trouble. We all made it just fine! I'm in my fourth year.

I think it depends on what sort of alt cert you go through. I did ABCTE, and it really helped me.

4. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Jun 26, 2008

I got into teaching through an alternative route (TAPP in GA) and there was one person that started with my group that did not get the nod to continue her second year, but it was an obvious decision. We were in a pretty tough school and she did not command the respect of the students and they ran all over her. She broke down regularly in front of the students and ended up going out on emergency leave after Christmas and did not complete the first year. She tried to get a transfer to another school the next year, but was unable to do so. As her colleagues we tried to help, but we were also in our first year at this school and did not have the skills or experience to help much. I kept in touch with her and she ended up going back to her previous career (engineer).

5. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 26, 2008

You said what I was going to say. I will be entering my fourth year too. There were over 30 of us in the same cohort, and we're all still teaching.

6. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 26, 2008

Hey, I did TAPP too!

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 26, 2008

Do you know where that statistic came from? I heard something about ACP the other day, but they were talking about the percentage of non-certified teachers schools start the year with-it would really surprise me if that was the case. I went through it and everyone from our group was approved except one who didn't pass her certification tests the 2 times she took them.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 26, 2008

I also went through the alt-cert program (TeachLouisiana). Of the roughly 20 people who began the program with me, I think that 2 dropped after the first semester (of just methods classes), 1 hasn't been hired as an intern yet, and can't not work because she is a single mom - so she's working at her old job & looking, and then there's me. I have been blessed enough to have a husband who earns enough to allow me to student teach. I completed my student teaching in December and received my certificate in January. Since then, I have been subbing, taking professional development courses, and sending or taking my resume to every school within about 20 miles of me. Hopefully, when the principals go back to work before school starts, I'll get hired.

9. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2008

Can you tell us what report, who wrote it, where we might find a copy of it? I did a web search, and found one report that stated quite the opposite.

http://www.ed.gov/admins/tchrqual/recruit/altroutes/report_pg13.html

BTW, I am an ACP teacher.

10. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jun 27, 2008

I was an elementary teacher for 17 years and went through traditional certification ... but after burning out, I pursued a culinary arts career. I earned a culinary arts degree and worked in the food service industry for six years. When I decided to go back into education as a culinary arts teacher, I went the alternative certification route and was certified based upon my training and work experience.

To be candid, as teaching standards for culinary arts in Arizona evolve, more and more schools are hiring teachers with alternative certification backgrounds (with industry work experience) instead of hiring teachers who have come up through family and career education.

The reason for this is that the standards are emphasizing training for restaurant operations ... and how can you teach restaurant operations if you've never worked in a restaurant?

Last year I attended a culinary arts conference and was appalled to find that many culinary arts teachers were engrossed by a presentation on decorative garnishing. How do you make a "rose" using a paring knife and a tomato? How do you carve a fruit basket? How do you make flowering scallions? All of these techniques were fairly basic and anyone with fine dining experience or culinary school training would have been familiar with these techniques.

The family and career education teachers were understandably engrossed by the presentation ... but yikes ... in this instance, how can teachers from a traditional training program adequately prepare their students to work in a restaurant?

One novice mistake that I've seen culinary arts teachers without restaurant experience make is the over emphasis on knife skills. Many teachers teach fine dining knife cuts ... the batonnet, the julienne, the tourne ... not knowing that the average restaurant doesn't use these knife skills. Since most restaurants are not fine dining, the average cook only knows how to mince or rough dice.

To be candid, if the average restaurant needs evenly diced potatoes for home fries, they BUY potatoes that have been pre-diced and par-cooked. It's cheaper and faster and a lot more cost effective than having to pay someone to peel and dice potatoes. Profit in such restaurants is made by relatively low prices and high volume production.

So - in answer to your question regarding alternative certification, I think you should know that in some cases such as career and technical training, teachers who pursue the alternative certification route are often better qualified than teachers who went the traditional route.

11. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 27, 2008

I'm in Texas and I work with a large number of alternative certification candidates every year. Each state's alt cert program is going to differ greatly so you can't compare apples to oranges. Honestly I would have to say that those statistics sound about right to me. I do personally know a few alt certs who have not had their contracts renewed by the principal at the end of their probationary year, with good reason. I know many more who just quit because they had no idea what teaching was going to be like. Then there are many more who struggle to pass the tests.

It's getting hired that's the biggest problem though. Our district will ONLY hire alt certs if they are bilingual or in a High School specialty that is hard to fill, like math or science. This is something the alt cert programs are not up front about. I know at least 8 monolingual teachers who went the alt cert route and have not been able to find public school jobs for over a year, they've been forced to take "charter" or private school jobs that pay peanuts.

12. littlebit18000

littlebit18000 Rookie

Jun 27, 2008

thanks, very interesting

13. SuperMissM

SuperMissM Rookie

Jun 27, 2008

Hmm, does anyone know a good Alternative Cert program in Northern Virginia? My boyfriend is possibly looking into teaching as a career change, and I wanted to do some research for him!

14. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2008

Rather than go with an alt cert program that was "self-standing" (i.e. not affiliated with any other professional educational organization), I chose to attend the program offered by the county department of education. I live in Houston, and our county is huge -- and includes nearly two dozen large school districts. So I am fortunate that each district in my area works with the graduates from my program, just as the county D of E works with them. Then again, that is why I chose this program :)

15. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jun 27, 2008

Look up charter schools in your area they usually have an alternative certification program.