alternative cert. looking for job!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by pommom, Jun 20, 2015.

1. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 20, 2015

Hi, Im new, this is my first post. Sorry if these kind of posts are over done or annoying...

So a little about myself. I just graduated with my Bachelors in English and minor in special education.

Im in the alternative cert prgram in San Antonio Texas.

I passed my English 4-8 content and my special ed supplemental

I applied at about 11 Districts. I hope I get at least one phone call.

When do schools usually do summer hirings? Do principles like to wait until close to August? I applied 2 weeks ago and havn't heard anything... Those that have done alternative cert, how long did it take to get a job?

I know its going to be difficult to find a job becasue Im a new teacher in the alternative cert and in common English, but Im still hopeful! I do have a good job right now in the mean time, so Im still okay!

3. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 20, 2015

I think most in texas did a lot of hiring at the end of may/first week of june when school ended.
    I did an acp also in tx and will say i had a hard time both times i have applied. Sometimes i think major districts dont like to hire from them for whatever reason.
    Make your resume as unique as possible and go to any job fairs that might be over the summer.
    I recommend charter schools as well. I worked my first year with a harmony school. Less pay, but they often hire acp candidates.
    Good luck.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jun 20, 2015

If you are willing to relocate, Oklahoma has several schools that are in desperate need of teachers.

5. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 20, 2015

Thanks I took a look at the website. I never even heard of that school. What district are you at now?

6. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 20, 2015

cant, i just bought an expensive house here, plus my family help out with babysitting my son. Thanks for the info though!

7. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 20, 2015

Im currently looking for a new place. I liked the Harmony school I was working at, but it was a 3 hour round trip drive. :dizzy:

I've signed a letter of intent with another charter school, but its just an independent school, not a "chain".

8. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Jun 21, 2015

In North Texas, I could definitely tell districts did a lot of hiring in late May/early June. I am also an ACP candidate this year, so I know the struggle.

However, I had a job offer in May, but unfortunately due to teacher transfers, I don't think the vacancy ever opened up. Oh well, but it does give me hope that I am doing *something* right. Haha

Regardless, districts still have large amounts of openings posted, so keep updating your information! One district around here *just now* postes some of their openings, so it's definitely not a lost cause yet.

One thing to keep in mind, I don't think it's uncommon at all for the better, suburban districts to go through all of their qualified certified candidates before they consider us folks. So, I'm definitely expecting things to pick up in July when final numbers come in.

9. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 21, 2015

now that you completed your one year probationary, dont you want to try to get into a well known district? Is Hamrony accredited by TEA? When you were firts applying for teaching jobs for your probationary, did you have any districts call you for an interview at all?

10. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 21, 2015

Are you 4-8 generalist? How many places have you applied?

11. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Jun 21, 2015

Yes, I am generalist 4-8, however I'm really only applying for math jobs.

I've applied to just about every district within driving distance - inner city to suburban. Some were only pooled positions others were for actual openings. I've had four calls for interviews, sat through 2 interviews and had one (eventually retracted) job offer. One interview was from my ACP giving the school my resume.

12. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 22, 2015

Harmony is accredited. I've never had a traditional public school even call for an interview. Last summer I applied maybe 20 applications to 4 districts. (Some districts you apply to each school, some you do a generic application for the whole district) this summer i probably did close to 60 applications between 6 districts and went to a job fair. Again, not one call from a traditional public school.
    My resume really lacks, so theres that.
    Last year harmony called me in may, so i took the first offer (first interview ever too, i thought i bombed),: it worked out in my favor anyways because i was offered kindergarten-which was my dream grade. I really only want to leave this place because I hate the drive.
    This year i had the on the spot interview at the job fair and accepted the offer on the spot as well.

13. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Jun 22, 2015

My first job was with a Harmony school as well and I went through Texas Teachers too. I left only because I wanted to move back closer to my family. Harmony has schools all through out the state. I know you really want to teach math, but you may need to think about teaching another subject for a year just to get your foot in the door someplace. I worked there for a year and didn't have any trouble getting into a public school after that. The only thing I can really say, especially if you are looking at charter schools, is to check out their school report card. You want to make sure that they have not been rated unacceptable.

http://harmonytx.org/default.aspx

This is another good website to find teaching jobs in Texas.
    http://www.schoolspring.com

14. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jun 22, 2015

Hi!

I'm in Texas as well and went through Texas Teachers for my ACP. Last year I did my probationary and I received my standard at the beginning of this month.

I'm Generalist EC-6 and Special Ed EC-12 certified and I applied everywhere and got one call, accepted it then got I think 5-6 other offers for interviews. If you want sped then summer is the time. Special ed teachers in my experience decide just before or in the summer not to come back....the summer and relaxing helps to reflect (that's me right now).

I don't think being an ACP harmed me at all. I had non-certified teaching experience before so that helped.

I did sped my internship year and my biggest worry was being locked into that. My worries have vanished now. I've had 3 offers, 5 total interviews I went on and 5 others I turned down. Only one of those was a principal that just looked at my resume in the district files and wanted to interview me for an inclusion position. All the others were general ed positions.

If you're willing to wait between now and August 10th a LOT will open up. Once August registration starts and schools realize just HOW many people are listing to the media and the "Texas is cheap, MOVE HERE" mantra and they get an influx of hundreds of kids positions will be popping up.

15. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jun 22, 2015

Oh, also I do have to say in Texas I believe to teach Special Ed you need to be highly qualified as a generalist. I think if you were already a teacher they'd put you in a spot and you can take it but as a new teacher and a probationary at that you need the EC-6 or 4-8 Generalist.

You can apply for ELA positions 4-8 but not special ed.

16. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 22, 2015

so my sped supplemental doesn't add any value?
    I can teach English/Reading sped 4-8.

17. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 22, 2015

Okay, I applied at Harmony today. So as of right now, are you going to teach at Harmony again unless you get another teaching position? I applied everywhere too! Even though its only been 2 weeks, Im starting to get discouraged... I know I still have the rest of the summer. Keep me updated on your job seeking! Good luck!

18. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 22, 2015

Yes, that's probably my plan. But i signed a letter of intent with a school closer to my home, so I'm pretty sure I've got a new job.
    One other thing, just be prepared- harmony requires all ELA teachers to get the esl supplemental certification (or at least my campus did). You have the whole year to get it, though. And it's not bad to have it in your resume anyways.

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 22, 2015

Principals will hire whenever they have openings. Generally, they don't wait as most of the better applicants will be snapped up. We have about three more weeks to resign without penalty in Texas, so other than added classes, most of the openings will probably be filled within the next month.

20. mjhoudek

mjhoudek Rookie

Jun 23, 2015

I am also an ALT CERT teacher and sub for two years then a para for one year but I am relocating so now I imagine I will have to start all over again as a sub. Not what I was wanting, maybe one day.

21. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Jun 23, 2015

I think most districts are requiring teachers to be ESL certified now. The nice things is that since it is a district mandate, a lot of them are paying you back for the test if you pass it.

22. ACinTexas

ACinTexas Rookie

Jun 23, 2015

Try the large urban districts in your area. I was hired on the spot by a regular (non-charter) public school at a job fair as an AC candidate.