Alternative Careers for Teachers

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Emmy, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 22, 2011

My daughter is an equestrian instructor. Couldn't find a job in NY where she lives. Does subbing and more and more her income depends on teaching students how to ride. Horses are her life and she recently told me that this job is a great way to enjoy both of her life interests - horses and education. She works with several special needs kids, kids with autism, etc. for whom horseback riding is actually a form of therapy.

Are college positions just as hard to obtain?

2. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jun 22, 2011

I worked for a university doing many different administration jobs. Most require you have a bachelors degree for mid level administration. (College Admissions Officer, College Course Advisor, Financial Aid OfficerTranscript Evaluator... etc)

3. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Jun 22, 2011

I can't find ANYTHING!!!! Not a teaching job, banking, assistant, retail, NOTHING!!! I'm so angry and frustrated and the more rejection letters I receive, the more depressed I get.

My last option is to join the National Guards just to pay my bills. I'm like the ultimate "girly-girl" so my family will probably think I've gone nuts, but that's my last resort...I don't know what else to do. I'm also sick of people telling me "But there are tons of jobs in Texas!" I'm like where are they??? No one is giving me a chance. I'm ready to throw in the towel!!

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2011

I've looked into so many different things that it's ridiculous and there is just not much out there right now. There's tons of things I'm qualified to do (because so many jobs require just a bachelors degree), but when it comes down to actually getting an interview it is almost impossible. But I understand that it's usually because they can find someone with a lot of experience in that field because so many people are out of work. It is still very frustrating, though!

I've thought about going back to school (and still may do so), but there's really nothing that is almost a guaranteed job anymore and I don't know if I can justify going back to school when I'm still not sure if I would have a job afterwards. The one program that interests me is becoming a LPN, because there still seems to be a good chance of obtaining a LPN position, the program is relatively inexpensive and it only takes a year to complete. Then if I like nursing I could work on becoming and RN while I'm working.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 24, 2011

MzQualified & Kangaroo22, I'm sorry. How long have you been out of work? I know someone (a non-teacher) who's been out of work for 2 yrs, maybe a little longer. This person would never join the military, but it's so incredibly frustrating watching this happen to my friend. The only thing I can do for this person is keep praying & saying to keep looking.

What the heck do people do when they've been out of work for 2+ yrs?! How are those people living, paying their bills, etc.? My friend alternates a few days a wk living w/ ea of his divorced parents & he does lawnwork for someone about twice a month, but that doesn't even pay for gas for the car.

6. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Jun 24, 2011

The best opportunity for a temporary carreer is probably in a health care field.
    Careers in Nursing, X-ray technician, Pharmacy technician, medical coder... etc can likely be obtained in under a year and start you at about $25,000.

These are not the best long term alternatives, but the best for finding work in tough economy when you have no transferable skills.

7. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 24, 2011

I think this thread is quite helpful too, in making people who feel hopeless see that there are others around here like them. I too, am a teacher looking for real work (not subbing). I too, have come to a point where it feels like an exercise in futility to send out job applications. It's tough, because here on this board, we have our share of rose-colored glasses wearers, who paint (if not a rosy picture), a picture as if things are bound to improve. That this is just another "recession", ones that we've all lived through before and vaguely noticed. The reality is that things (economy) are not bound to improve anytime soon, and will almost inevitably get worse before it gets better. In 2015, do you still want to be hanging on to your dream of being a teacher? In 2020 even still?

These are questions ALL of us need to ask ourselves. The truth is that which I bolded above. It's not what Obama or any other bozo in a suit and official title wants to tell you. The question I suppose, is how you or I get from here (June 2011) to there (2015, 2020)

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2011

Ms. I--I have a decent part-time job, but really want a full-time job.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 24, 2011

I see. Well, good luck to you!

10. Starling

Starling Rookie

Jun 25, 2011

There isn't a whole lot I can come right out and tell you as I signed a non-disclosure agreement when i started working with them. Work is any hour of the day you see fit, whether it be from 7 am - 4 pm straight or at 3 am for 15 minutes because you can't sleep.

If you go to this site: https://www.leapforceathome.com/qrp/core/login
    and click on "Become an Agent" you can find more information there.

You need to be tech savvy and know your way around the internet. Because it's an IC job it is never a secure thing from day to day - but if you get good monthly reviews your contract is likely to be renewed every 6 months. I'm at month 13 right now.

Even taking into account taxes we'll need to pay I'm making $350 more a month working 4 hours a day then I was teaching full-time at a private Catholic school. I won't have health insurance come mid-August if I don't pick up a teaching job but that's something we'll have to figure out then.

For now, I'm actually pretty happy doing this - there is zero micromanaging, no lesson planning, and no parents at my classroom door over goofy little things.

11. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2011

Here are some you can check out...
    -Marketing
    -Sales
    -Banks
    -Help Centers
    Good luck,
    Rebel1

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 26, 2011

Thank you Starling. I need to look into this.

13. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Jun 27, 2011

Are you talking about totally different careers to get into? I actually just left teaching last summer. I'm going to be starting a job as a broadcast captioner working at home. It only takes about 8 months to train yourself (if you're disciplined and devote a lot of time to it), and I'll be working at home and making twice as much as I did teaching.

I loved teaching, but wanted to look for a job where I work less hours and at home. This was the answer to my prayers. It's not a scam either, lol. It's a real career that's in demand.

14. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Jun 27, 2011

Look into teaching English abroad in Korea or another country. A buddy of mine from college, no education degree, does it. First year was 32k and I think he's up to 40k or so now after a few years. Gets room, pays board, so it's almost all take home.

Another option, again with leaving, is teaching with the DOD or US embacy schools (Middle East and Africa in high demand).

If you can do what most people cannot (read leave the country for the school year) you'll stay in work.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 27, 2011

Congrats, sounds good! Now, I see you're in NYC. I'm in southern CA. Would I be able to work at home & do this from where I am or is this type of position ONLY in your area? What's the website to look up more about this? Thanks for your info. (I'll PM you just in case.) :)

16. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Jun 27, 2011

I just visited this site, only to discover that it is a forum. I thought it was a direct company that offered at-home opportunities.

Are opportunites available by registering for the forum and then visiting various threads to find opportunities, or am I missing something?
    I would welcome feedback from those who have found work from this forum. I am somewhat confused.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 27, 2011

oldstudent, look at post #50 on page 5 of this thread (the last post of the previous page). She gives a better site for it. I bookmarked it & am going to read through it later.

18. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Jun 27, 2011

It looks like one has to be internet savvy to qualify for these jobs.

I first need to get rid of my slow dial-up, but regardless, I think I will search for other opportunites where I do not have to compete with computer masterminds.

19. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Companion

Jun 27, 2011

I'm trying to find ANY sort of a job right now! Ultimately, I think I'd really like to sub next year while also being a server part-time - however, I have no serving experience, so we will see if that works out for me. I've been applying for teaching jobs, office jobs, retail jobs, etc. NOTHING so far...ugh.

20. tgtbtj

tgtbtj Companion

Jun 27, 2011

I am reading all these posts and it makes me so sad. I can't believe that it has acutally gotten this bad in the teaching field. All througout college all I heard was how high in demand teachers were. They failed to explain that the teachers in high demand were those that teach high school math and science. I thank God everyday that I was able to find a teaching job at a private school last year. All I can say is just don't give up no matter how discouraging it may be. Believe me, I never thought I would find a job. I will be praying that things improve soon not just for you guys but for everyone including me. I think that we all deserve to do what it is that makes us happy and right now it is just awful.

21. xitalianacutiex

xitalianacutiex Rookie

Jul 2, 2011

Well here is my story...

left an alternate route to certification program in NYC because I knew if I stayed in the program and the school I was teaching at I would never become the educator I wanted. I moved to Delaware and worked at a private school in the dorms and then left when I got hired as a preschool teacher. I knew I wanted to work as a para in the public school system, so I took a job as a special education para, it paid okay (1200 a month after taxes and full benefits). I also knew I would be applying to another alternate route program in Delaware that was much better for me.

The first year of the program you are required to be a para so I did that for another year and then got a teaching job in another part of the state for my second year of the program.

Unfortunately, I had just left my lousy abusive alcoholic ex. I had to relocate, continue going to school, and teach a grade and subject I was completely unfamiliar with. Then on top of that I was dealing with the aftermath of leaving my ex. It was emotionally exhausting and I just crumbled under the pressure (I would get calls about my ex in jail, creditors calling etc, while at work). I just got depressed and the anxiety was so bad I could not concentrate. I would sit at my computer at home and my mind would just be blank.

It got to the point I could not successfully complete the projects needed for certification in Delaware. I did receive my degree, but not the certification (Which stinks because I had PERFECT evaluations all year). So I moved to GA to be closer to my family.

Got a job at a private school... They offered me 24 grand a year to basically be a lead teacher for two classrooms, do lessons for both classes, etc. It was mutually agreed that it was not working out, so I went on unemployment for a bit.

Two months after leaving the private school I took a job as a nanny and case manager for a teen girl with special needs. I know a lot of teachers who lost their jobs (met a lot of them at the unemployment office) and that later went into the direct care or nanny field. The pay was just as much as I got teaching, and I was living with my parents so I saved - went on a huge vacation to Hawaii to see my boyfriend there. But then left when the family's drug, alcohol, and abuse problems got too much for me to handle.

I was just recently hired to teach in an urban district in Florida. I have the temp. certification there- I am eligible for a professional cert. once I take the tests and complete a competency based program (I think its a one year new teacher type program- no papers or giant projects involved!) that I was told could be completed even sooner depending on what my needs as a teacher are. The thing going for me is that starting with this next school year all teachers who are teaching a class with 100% of the students with autism the teacher needs to have the autism endorsement.

The most frustrating thing for me is I had applied everywhere in my area, for retail, for theme park concessions, movie theaters, etc. I got a call for a movie theater interview while I was in FL on teacher interviews. I also got one more call for a teacher store but was not hired (huh?). Back in March I went on some interviews and they flat out told me that the job was beneath me. If I want to work and will accept the work, then what is the problem? It is really depressing to not even be able to get hired at a target or walmart with a master's degree, etc.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 3, 2011

I know, it's crazy! I don't care if someone has a doctoral degree, if that person needs work so badly & is willing to work at Walmart (for example), what does the employer care? But, I know, earlier in this thread, a good reason was stated that the employer will think that the moment the person gets a better job, they'll be outta the minimum wage job they're in. Well, I still say so what. I'm sure there's thousands of other people that will take the person's place when they leave.

23. storyteacher

storyteacher New Member

Jul 28, 2011

I had the exact same situation with a hiring freeze immediately after I finished my student teaching. I had an interview last week at the school where I've subbed a few years and strongly suspect it's having to pay me for my Masters in Secondary Ed that's the problem, but can't be sure.

24. storyteacher

storyteacher New Member

Jul 28, 2011

Same exact problem here, but I don't live at home.

25. MrsCK

MrsCK Companion

Jul 28, 2011

There are some job opportunities if you live in Georgia! The University of North Carolina is performing research on Georgia's Bright from the Start Pre-K and needs data collectors to travel to pre-k's in GA and observe/collect data. It's called an Intermittent Temporary Data Collector because it's only a few months at a time for one year, but the compensation is good ($18-22 an hour) and they reimburse travel and any necessary hotel. Look it up! I found it on Craig's List and they emailed me more information if I was still interested.

PM me your email address if you want me to forward you the flyer they sent me.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  26. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jul 28, 2011

Emmy, have you looked at community college jobs? Many community colleges look for librarian assistants. I've seen jobs advertised in my area for those positions and they pay pretty well. What about a job with the city? Sometimes city jobs are specialized. What about non-profit jobs? There's a really great website called idealist.org and you can job search non-profits of all types across the country. Don't give up! You will be able to find something that suits you and your needs.

27. teach&admin1

teach&admin1 New Member

Jun 11, 2012

Just joined after I read this post. I can speak from teaching and administrative experience that it is HARD to find work. I graduated with my second masters in Education last year and haven't found full time work. I have looked in all areas of education including higher education and it is a challenge...but you have to keep at it and really EXPLORE all areas and sites to find positions.

I have also found that a personal appearance after you have done an online app can help. Seeing a face can separate you from the ones online.

You just have to keep pushing...and im speaking from experience. I'm still looking but i see too many chances to stop trying...

28. DedicatedPaPa

DedicatedPaPa Rookie

Jun 11, 2012

I was also a teacher. I am basically a radiology technician right now. My boss told me that I could possibly have med school paid for if I am good at my current job with my employer. I am super excited right now. It beats being a teacher in these times.

29. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2012

Dedicated, what do you need to become a radiology technician?

My goal at this point is to take classes at the community college while I continue my part time work (after school program team leader and teacher).

Right now, I'm interested in something in health/fitness/nutrition or finance/business, two areas that I've always been interested in.

30. DedicatedPaPa

DedicatedPaPa Rookie

Jun 11, 2012

Basically, you need to get an associate degree in being a radiology technician, pass your exams, get your certification. It's basically a $50-55k job with full healthcare coverage and retirement benefits. With many years of experience, your salary will probably max out at around $65k. But, I'm not planning to be just a radiology technician. The good thing about this job is that it provides a lot of clinical experience, allowing you to branch into many other career paths.

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2012

Thank you for what you do.

Undergoing radiation is an incredibly emotional experience. The radiation itself doesn't hurt (until you get into the "sunburn" days) but the emotional toll is huge. Lying there, it's hard not to think about why you're there.

Having caring people in that position is absolutely critical. I was incredibly lucky to have radiology techs who were the right people for the job.

Even if it's not the career path you intend to stay in, know that you're making a huge difference to each of the patients you see each day.

32. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 12, 2012

I see this is a rather old thread, but might I suggest...

Advising/recruiting in colleges-especially community or JuCo
    Adult GED classes
    Adjunct professor (my community college requires a Master's with 18 hours in s specific field)
    Residence hall director/advisor
    Museums/libraries

33. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 12, 2012

I worked as a tutor at a community college last semester. It paid 24.99/ hr. I didn't get a lot of hours, but at least I felt appreciated!

I also supervised a student teacher in her field experience. The pay was lousy, but it was enjoyable and great experience for my resume. If you have a significant amount of teaching experience, I highly recommend doing this to bolster your resume!

Speech pathology assistant is one job I have considered for the future if things don't work out. It would mean about a year's coursework at the community college level. These positions seem to be in demand as districts try to cut costs by hiring fewer speech pathologists and splitting them between schools.

34. Sweets2005

Sweets2005 Rookie

Jun 17, 2012

I looked into being a SLPA but not every state utilizes or allows support staff in SLP, and my state is one of them. :(

35. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jun 18, 2012

Teaching opportunities in all areas are not dead, many areas are desperately seeking candidates, though many may not be willing to work in those districts.

Getting a Masters would not hurt you. I can tell you that I too have been incredibly frustrated/depressed about not finding work yet, but opted to get right back into the swing of things by starting my Masters this summer (after only graduating last month). I have found this to be the best move I could have made. #1, I'm learning an amazing amount of information I did not learn in my undergrad education. #2, I am keeping busy, rather than sitting at home waiting for job ads to post. #3, I feel I am showing employers that I am seeking to keep up to date and learn as much as possible about education.

In addition to that, I am also seeking an additional endorsement to my license by taking another Praxis exam this summer. I love this particular science and would love to teach it (earth/space) if possible. Many schools in my area want a teacher who can teach more than one subject, especially in middle schools (my preferred area).

Time and time again, I am told that many teachers have been hired right when school starts or even after school starts. I'm set to sub this fall if need be. I have looked elsewhere at higher education jobs as well, since I have enjoyed working at my university for a few years now.

36. Sweets2005

Sweets2005 Rookie

Jun 18, 2012

I think that having a Masters has hurt me in my previous state. The difference in pay between bachelors and masters was a huge hike. After graduating, I found a temp position for the remainder of the year and in that school there were 4 of us who were not even invited back to interview (despite excellent evaluations) and turned out all 4 of us had masters degrees. I think we were just too expensive! Maybe getting a masters degree in something more specialized than just a plain old MEd would be better?