Alternate Seating

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by shoebottom, Sep 13, 2015.

1. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Sep 13, 2015

I am looking for alternate seating for my students. I have 2 Hokki stools that I received last week. I am not 100% that I like them. What else is out there that is worth the money?

3. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Sep 14, 2015

I just googled Hokki. (I'd never heard of them). I'm assuming you have elementary students; at first glance, I'd be uncomfortable with regularly using that type of chair, too. My thoughts are, any chair is awkward for an elementary student. They fidget because their muscles are telling them to move. But on the other hand, rocking in any direction while sitting for an extended period of time might go against ergonomic posture, (although I read the ads that said they're ergonomically correct). I read in a doctor's column in our local newspaper that the current thought today, for adults, is to move muscles after every 15 minutes of sitting. I can also imagine students experimenting with the novelty of the Hokki chair during class; it could become a distraction, and the multi-task of trying various movements while learning could inhibit proper brain placement of new learning. I'm curious now to read up on the research; perhaps they are a great new invention--these are just my initial thoughts.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 14, 2015

I'm looking into different seating for my high school classroom. I need some kind of desk for days they take tests, but I do not like the desks in my classroom as they are too small and cramped feeling, and not really big enough for my high school students.

5. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Sep 14, 2015

So far the biggest thing is them wanting to rock all over the place with the. stools I have read about some chairs like yoga ball, not sure what they are called. I teach 4th grade.