Alternate Route to SpEd Certification

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by kidatheart, May 31, 2006.

1. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

May 31, 2006

Hi, Are there any Jersey people out there that have obtained a sped cert through the alternate route? I want to get started, but I am not sure where to turn.
    :confused: :confused:

3. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 31, 2006

what alternate route? I'm in NY, close to NJ, and may move there in the future. (not planning to, but a whole bunch of my friends have moved there recently and they have a nice community)

4. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 2, 2006

Alternate route

Hi, BOE!
    Alternate route allows you to obtain the certification while teaching full time.
    In the case of Special Ed, I know that I have to take 2 6-credit courses to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility which would allow me to teach the subject.
    My problem is I can't figure out if it is something I just enroll in, or if I need to be referred by NJBOE or a school... or what.
    So confusing!

5. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 2, 2006

Alternate route

Thanks, TearDrop!
    I will go there again today, but it seems so vague and getting a hold of the local BOE offices is difficult!:p

6. Leikela

Leikela Companion

Jun 2, 2006

Hi!
    I am actually in an alternate route Special Ed program right now. Here's the difference though: I'm doing it through a Federally funded program called NJCUE. This is a great program!! You need a BA in liberal arts and to have passed the PRAXIS II so you can get your CE.

The best part about this program is that the credits are towards a Master's degree and the Federal government pays 80% of your tuition and the school district that you're placed in pays the remaining 20% of your tuition.

Also, everything is structured for you, so no long confusing searches on what to do next. I had to write an essay, get two letters of recommendation and interview with 4 people at the same time. It was rigorous but worth it!

With NJCUE we are given a mentor for the first year to guide us with any questions and we get a $2000 stipend for when we're student teaching for the months of July and the first two weeks of August.

Also, you are given a teaching job so you don't have to go looking for one. Here's the deal breaker for a lot of people though. You have to teach in either Paterson, Newark, or Jersey City. Newark was actually my first choice so I've been placed there. They pay the most and have the best teacher's union.

I could ramble on all day about NJCUE, but if it's not for you, it's not for you. Here's where you can find more info on it.
    http://cehs.montclair.edu/academic/cop/njcue.shtml

BTW, it's actually two 3 credits classes that you need in order to teach Special Ed with a CE. I'm taking those courses right now. I'm loving it so far!!!

Also, for a different alternate route in Special Ed, you have to apply for a specific program through a University. I don't know too much about that though since I choose to go through NJCUE. I do know that you have to find your own job, pay your tuition, etc. If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

7. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 2, 2006

Thank you so much for the info!! NJCUE sounds ideal, but all of the locations are too far north for me to travel daily (I have a 5 year old:angel: ). I would love to do it if they offered programs down here in sunny south Jersey! When you finish the program, what will your degree be? Dual elementary/sped?

I am going to try to enroll thru TCNJ in Ewing/Trenton to take the 6 credits. Wish me luck!

8. Leikela

Leikela Companion

Jun 2, 2006

kidatheart,

You're in luck. For the last year (Year 5) of the program, starting May 2007, NJCUE is expanding to Trenton, Camden and Elizabeth. For more information, contact the program director, Marilyn Davis, at davism@mail.montclair.edu

After 18 months, I will have dual certification K-5 and Special Ed (students with disabilities) and 33 credits toward my Master's degree. You get to pick your own Master's in Teaching program so depending on what you actually want your degree in will determine how many credits you have left for your Master's.

Since this is graduate school, I can only take 6 credits in a graduate non-matriculated program so I have to take the GRE's or MAT's over the summer so I can declare a major/program at Montclair State University.

The best part about the program is that you're really a part of a great group. My two classes this summer are all with NJCUE students that were placed in the Newark school districts. So we have each other for support, questions, etc... So far it's a lot of fun, a lot of work and I cannot wait to start student teaching in a few weeks!

Good luck to you in whatever route you choose though! :)

9. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 3, 2006

I am writing to her today!!

10. Leikela

Leikela Companion

Jun 3, 2006

I just read in your other post that you already have a teaching certificate. I'm sorry, but NJCUE is only for transitioning adults who want to switch careers. You cannot have a previous teaching certificate. You'll have to go the traditional way for Special Ed. I'm sorry! NJCUE is such a great program too. You'll do great though!! Best of luck to you!!

11. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 3, 2006

That's ok - I feel like I am a mid-career changer because I have been away from teaching for so long!! :( I'll figure it out one way or another. I have to get the schools to respond to me first. :eek:

12. shouts

shouts Companion

Jun 8, 2006

I was hired as a special ed teacher last year with a CEAS in elementary ed. (K-8). I had a lot of experience with the population, though.

I was hired on an emergency credential (that the school applies for after they hire you) then I had to complete six credits.

They can't hire you on an emergency credential this far ahead of next year. They have to prove they have no other qualified applicants, so that probably wouldn't be until late August.

13. Leikela

Leikela Companion

Jun 8, 2006

shouts,

Where in NJ did you get hired on an Emergency creditial? Just curious. I'm will be teaching Special Ed come September and am taking the 6 credits over the summer.

14. shouts

shouts Companion

Jun 8, 2006

But in NJCUE - aren't you obligated to teach in an Abbott district for 3 years? OUCH! That's why I didn't do it.

Bridgewater!

15. Leikela

Leikela Companion

Jun 8, 2006

Yup, and at the end your Master's degree is paid for and you end up with two additional certifications that are paid for that normally costs thousands of dollars.

If you feel that way about the Abbott districts then the program obviously isn't for you. NJCUE is actually highly competitive for the dual certification and they can only accept 60 applicants out of the hundreds that they receive. Also, I know lots of people who work in Abbott districts (Newark, Paterson, Plainfield) and love it. I'm sorry you're only going on the stereotypes.

PS- You wouldn't qualify for NJCUE anyway because you already have a CEAS. It's for transitioning adults only.

16. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 8, 2006

So is it a problem for me to apply to a school and take those 6 credits without having a job lined up?

17. shouts

shouts Companion

Jun 9, 2006

No - I don't want to work in a district where all the lessons are scripted and students are tested excessively with no money for resources. I'd rather have the district I'm working at pay for it.

Take the six credits, get the C.E. and you'll get hired somewhere! There will still be openings come August.

18. Leikela

Leikela Companion

Jun 9, 2006

Actually, all the lessons aren't scripted. At least for Special Ed their not. You're just not the right fit for urban schools. These children deserve a chance just like the next kid. Do you not agree? Newark gets the most money from the state actually and have some of the best resources around. It's the children that don't have the resources at home that is the problem. These children were born into poverty. It's not their fault. They deserve a chance and that's what I'm there to provide them with. To each his/her own.

19. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 9, 2006

Thanks so much for the info! I was a little worried!:(

20. soon2teach

soon2teach New Member

Sep 14, 2006

Hi,
    I am researching the NJCUE program and hope to become a special education teacher. I was hoping that you could clarify exactly which Praxis II test is required. I am pretty sure it is Elementary Education: Content Knowledge (0014) but I also think that Principals of Learning and Teaching (PLT) might apply as well. I dont want to go down the wrong road. Also, is it true that next summer is the last for this program?

21. Leikela

Leikela Companion

Sep 14, 2006

No PLT's are required, just the PRAXIS (0014) Content Knowledge. I've heard numerous rumors regarding the program. The last I heard from the previous director is that the NJCUE program is out of funds and will only fund the last cohort, which is my cohort. Then I heard that they are going to continue on with the program but the people involved would have to pay their tuition.

In case you didn't know, NJDOE just passed a law saying that in order to get your Special Ed CE all you need is your transcript and proof that you're enrolled in an alternate route program for special ed. The 6 credits is no longer required.

For more info on NJCUE, check out the message board:
    http://njcue.proboards47.com

22. soon2teach

soon2teach New Member

Sep 14, 2006

Thank you for the quick reply and the link to the forum. At 47 years old, I just graduated with a BA in Liberal Arts and am eager to explore this and other alternate route programs so that I may hopefully get into a fulfilling new career.