alternate Route or post-bacc program

Discussion in 'General Education' started by amethyst, May 21, 2009.

1. amethyst

amethyst Companion

May 21, 2009

I have a bachelor's degree already and want to get my teaching certification. Would you recommend doing the alternate route or doing the post-bacc program?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 21, 2009

In this economy, I'd do the post-bacc program.

4. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

May 21, 2009

I went the alternative route and it worked out great for me. I did mine through ABCTE.

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 21, 2009

Sorry to sound dumb, but what is the difference? I have been saying I did the alt-cert route, but I might be wrong. I had a BS in Business Administration; then went to a CSU and got a credential. Is that alternate, or post-bacc?

6. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

May 21, 2009

Do you mean a master's program? That is post baccalaureate (post-bachelor's).

7. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 21, 2009

There is also a post BA where you take the courses in teachers education, student teaching etc through the college and then are certified.

I would get the post BA.

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 21, 2009

I would do post-bacc, too. You would have a credential in hand when applying for jobs, which could make it much easier for you to get a job.

9. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

May 22, 2009

I would do post-bacc as well. Definitely a safer route, from everything I've heard/seen.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 23, 2009

Amethyst-
    I've given this same answer to your recent questions regarding your certification/education process...If you are staying in NJ, you should go 'regular' route, getting a degree from a university or college-preferably not online, and get certified through the traditional route...You will be competing against highly qualified candidates from prestigious programs with varied background and experience. The NJ market is incredibly competitive and you want to make yourself as marketable as possible...alternate route is not as highly regarded in this market as traditional university programs...especiallly in early childhood/elementary ed which are glutted with candidates.
    Good luck in your pursuits.

11. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

May 23, 2009

I did a one year program through the university called ATP. It was a mix of post-bac people and fast-trackers (students who wanted to finish college in 3 years).

I really liked it because it was only 1 year w/o pay (rather than the normal 2 year program) and it had a ton more hands-on time in the classroom.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 23, 2009

Is ATP Arizona State University at Tempe Phoenix? I believe the OP is in NJ.

13. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

May 23, 2009

Yes I did ATP at ASU in Tempe. I thought maybe there were comparable programs in other states (maybe under different names)