Alternate Route Certifications in MS

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by dillpickle, Mar 31, 2007.

1. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Mar 31, 2007

I am so stressed out! I have a degree in Psychology. While working as a children's case manager with a mental health facility I decided to get my Masters in Ed. and do the alternate route for certification. I did this because it made me mad seeing my sweet, little clients with "problems" sitting in the back of the room coloring while everyone else was working. Anyway, my license is supposed to be for 3 years. It's a provisional license. I got my license in Jan 2005 so I assumed it would expire in Jan 2008. NOT THE CASE... it expires this JUNE. Therefore, I will not be certified come August when school starts. I have one more class to take before I can get my standard 5 year license. However, to take the class I have to be teaching. I can't teach if I'm not certified. I know that some districts will emergency certify candidates, but how am I to find a decent job when they are going to hire the ones who are certified over me...even though I have experience. I'm so mad at myself for not catching my professors mistake. I am also mad at her for misinforming our class. The state dept of ed told me to set up a meeting with the superintendent of the district I wanted to work for and explain the situation to him and see what he would do. This makes me so nervous because as they were telling me this today at the job fair I cried. I cried because I was surprised and totally expecting to find something for the fall...I was not prepared to hear from one district that they never do emergency certifications b/c that means the applicant is not qualified based on NCLB. I have teaching experience therefore I would think I'd be qualified. This seems like such a technicality to me. I am just stressed and don't know what to do or how to approach the superintendent. Any advice?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2007

How about non-public schools? Religious schools operate under different rules; you may be able to get your year of teaching there. Somewhere around here is a link for private schools. I'll try to find it.

4. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Mar 31, 2007

Yes. I applied at several local private schools this past week as well. I wouldn't even have to have the emergency certification long. It would only be needed for 8 weeks while I finish the course. After the course is over I could get my standard 5 year license. That is what I'm going to tell the superintendent in the district that I want to work in. The state dept said they do issue emergency licenses though. It's just stressful because I stayed home this year to be with my newborn. He was born July 26. I'm ready to go back to work now though.