alter certification questions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by PreKyay, Mar 10, 2008.

1. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Mar 10, 2008

Has anyone (in Texas) gone through their Education Service Center for alt. cert.? If so, when was the best time to apply - Summer, Fall or Spring? Are you pleased with the program? That's all the questions I have for now. More later...:)

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2008

I personally haven't gone through it, but have had some friends that went through it. They seemed to be pretty pleased with it. I think they applied generally around this time, took their courses in the summer, and begin teaching that school year. The best thing would be to go to your region's website and get the information off of it.

4. Noggin

Noggin Rookie

Mar 11, 2008

I did. It was great, and there really isn't a better time of year. Once you're accepted, you'll start taking the classes on your plan whenever they offer them and they usually offer them several times a year.

You do have to pass certain tests and take certain courses before you're allowed to become what they call an intern and start job hunting. Then some of the remaining classes you can take while you're teaching your first year. So if you're interested in teaching next Fall- you'd want to apply quickly to start getting classes under your belt.

It was a great fit for me, and the program was very thorough. My only real advice would be to get as many classes as possible out of the way before you actually start teaching- even the ones that they say can be done while teaching. My experience was that certing at an accelerated speed while also trying to tackle your first year teaching is a little rough. And there are more requirements in addition to those classes that will pop up once once you start teaching like portfolio projects and observation reports. So the more you have out of the way before you have classes to worry about, the better!

Good luck! :)

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 12, 2008

I have found that some districts don't really prefer alt certified people, I am by the way. So check that out first. Also, if your program offers student teaching, do it!

Alternative certification worked fine for me. I applied in the summer took all my classes and tests in the fall and winter and applied for jobs last spring for this school year. I didn't get hired but I think I am in a better position this years since I have had the opportunity to have my own classroom for a few months.

Noggin is right, get the classes outof the way before you teach.