Alt. Cert.? Don't give up!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Edelweiss, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

As someone who's going the alternative certification route, I was terrified that I wasn't going to get a job because I have ZERO teaching experience. But then, today it happened...I GOT A JOB! I went in for an interview, spent a great hour with the principal and magnet coordinator, and got hired on the spot!

To all of those who are struggling with a lack of experience: keep trying. Some school, somewhere, will be a perfect fit for you, experience or no!

(On a side note, if he hadn't offered me the job during the interview, I had already decided that I was going to ask for it myself...I really like this school and the staff and faculty I met today!)

3. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jul 16, 2007

Congrats, that is awesome!!

4. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Congratulations!

5. CareerChanger

CareerChanger Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Congrats on the job offer! I also have zero experience and am going the alternate cert route. I was offered an employement contract after my first interview. I am looking for a math spot and interviewed in an urban district... so perhaps they were not too picky :) Made me feel really happy that I would get the offer, even though I am not quite certain it is the best fit for me, and I may still look some more.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

Congrats!!!

Edelweis, what will you be teaching?

7. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Jul 16, 2007

hooray for you!

8. imanevilempress

imanevilempress Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Edelweiss--

Can you explain your circumstances a bit more in depth? I'm going to be finishing my undergrad next year and I'm thinking of moving down to FL to pursue a teaching career. Like you, I would like to go the alternative certification route.

Did you have any teaching experience whatsoever? What was the interview like? Where did you apply? Did you have your alt. cert done before the interview or did you promise to do it your first year?

Thanks!

9. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 16, 2007

Congrats!

evilempress --
    I went the alt. cert. route too. My undergrad was NOT in education and when we moved to NC, I did not want to continue in the field I'd been in, so I enrolled in an MAT program. I got a job my first semester in the program, but my undergrad was in a high demand area.

10. imanevilempress

imanevilempress Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Bitsy--

Do you have to be enrolled in an alt. cert. program in order for a school district to consider you or is the promise of completing a program enough for a district to hire you? Also, is it possible to make your completion an alt. cert. program while teaching a condition of your employment contract?

11. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 16, 2007

evilempress,

I would think that would depend on the HR director or district policy. The gentleman that hired me was really laid back and very trusting. You do have to complete so many hours each year to keep your probationary license, so they expect that you will be enrolling in something. Then you have so many years to take your license to the next step -- this differs from state to state, so I can't be more specific.

Go to the department of education site for your state and see if it has any info. NC's has quite a bit of info, but the best info I got was from the first HR guy that hired me. He was great.

12. Summersoff

Summersoff Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

what part of south florida do you live?

13. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Thanks, I needed to hear that. While I haven't been offered any job on the spot I have interviewed for 4 positions in 2 business days (Fri and today) and I have one more interview tomorrow. I do hope at least one calls me back with a job offer. Congrats on the new job!!!

14. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

Thanks to everyone for all the well-wishing!

I finished my BA in English in May. Once I'd completed my degree, I followed the instructions on the Florida Department of Education's website (i.e., submitting transcripts, etc.) and was issued an Official Statement of Status of Eligibility. The SoE is necessary to be considered for any instructional position in FL. Once I had it, I began applying to Palm Beach and Broward schools. Now that I've been hired, I will be issued a temporary certification. In order to complete the alternative certification program, I have to teach for one year, take the General Knowledge, Subject Area, and Professional Educator exams, and complete one additional course in education (I took quite a few EDU courses as electives, since I knew I wanted to teach, so I only have one left...I believe the magic number is actually 5, though).

I have absolutely no experience whatsoever. No student teaching, no internships, no substituting; the only experience I even have working with children was as a toddler attendant at a daycare when I was 16.

The interview was very much unlike the other two interviews I'd had previously. It was more like a conversation than an interview, really. We discussed our views on students, teachers, the FCAT, and education in general. I simply "clicked" with the principal and the magnet coordinator. The principal knows he's taking a risk by hiring someone with no experience, but I think I was able to show him that I want to teach for the right reasons and that I really want to be a successful educator. He's willing to "take me under his wing" and I'm an eager learner, so the bottom line is, this was simply the right fit for me.

15. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

Gutsy move, Eidelweiss. This might be the route to take if you feel like you don't have anything to loose. Congratulations and good luck!

16. imanevilempress

imanevilempress Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

Edelweiss--

It's funny--I am going to be in your exact same situation in a year's time, except that I'll have certs. in english and history. I'm going to be done with my credit requirements in May 2008 (although my degree is officially conferred in July) and after I'd really like to move to FL (specifically Daytona Beach) where my dad lives. I'm wondering, did you have a hard time finding a job in Broward? Have you heard anything about Dade? Or, and this is where I *really* want to teach, do you know much about Volusia and/or Orange? Again, not unlike you, I won't have any teaching experience or education references, so any experiences you'd be willing to share would be really helpful. :)

17. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

I'm not familiar with Dade, Volusia or Orange Counties, as I knew I wouldn't be applying there. The only thing I can tell you is that English is a high need area in Broward and I was able to get more interviews there than in Palm Beach County. I don't know what the situation will be next year, but the best thing to do is keep an eye on each county's website.