Alright, I just had one of my worst days this year!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, May 27, 2009.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 27, 2009

My kids have been pretty good most of the year, but they were just completely bouncing off the walls today. I could get through maybe 3-5 minutes of a lesson before they would start getting VERY loud. I think I might have to completely re-vamp my activities for the rest of the year so that they are moving more, because they are just wild!

This is my first year, but I'm guessing this is typical? I hope!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 27, 2009

Let's just say it gets worse before it gets better :)

Yes, it's absolutely typical at all age levels.

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 27, 2009

You're almost to the end!

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 27, 2009

Friday is the last day I'm teaching :) I just can't get my kids to do a single thing--- thank God I planned independent projects where they work at their own pace to complete a project.

6. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

May 27, 2009

Ummm... I think this sums up what I am thinking:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

Just when I thought my students' behavior couldn't be worse, they proved me wrong today. Now, during my rest and relaxation time with AtoZ, I read this comment. Thanks a lot. :p

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 27, 2009

I have 8 days of classes left. Four of them are double periods with my slowest class, including the last day of classes. That's 80 minutes of math with only a 4 minute break in the middle.

But you know, they make me laugh (well, when I'm not homicidal)

As much as they drive me to drink, they're a lot of fun.

So take a deep breath, and know that they're going to be a little crazy for the rest of the year. And then they'll go back to their parents for 2 months.

Hey, if I can survive childbirth, I can do this.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 27, 2009

:rofl: Thanks, lil...that was a great video!

9. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

May 27, 2009

I am at a school in its first year being open, we have had 3 different school leaders. Our culture sucks (at a school that is largely dependent on culture building). Our kids are absolutely coo-coo. To make matters worse, a letter went home to students who earned an end of year trip to Washington DC. Half the kids earned it, the other half...you know how they are acting right now.

10. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

May 27, 2009

The good news is I move to sunny pastures after this school year....

11. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

May 27, 2009

Hang in there. We've all been there. Remember there is always Prozac! :) We should have a "prozac-lick" in the teacher's lounge. Just remember a few more days and then they will be home with their parents complaining they are bored and fighting with their siblings!

12. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 28, 2009

It is normal!! All I can say is keep them busy, try to add in some new things. Extra recess, extra sharp discipline. When they get too loud, heads down, lights off for 5 min. to calm them. I've been adding music lessons that let them move, but they usually get too wild then also.

Movies? Free drawing time? Free choice time? extra snacks? Just keep them moving. word searches? checkers? reading with an upper grade buddy? Go for a walk?

It is a hard time of year. Today we began our morning block after recess with wonderful centers - they fought, cried, got injured (fell down from a sitting position and whacked nose!), whined, and pushed my patience to the limit. sheesh. Right now they are watching a movie, having horrible fruit gushers, and I am working on report cards. There is just not much to do with them this time of the year. They are so excited!

I keep reminding them and myself "Let's end our year together with some happy times." If it doesn't improve tomorrow, I am going to write a note home BEGGING parents to please get them to bed earlier and limit the sugar intake.

But I love them to pieces and I am really going to miss this group!

13. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

May 29, 2009

Trust me, I am feeling the same way! My kindergartners are acting better than my fifth graders right now. I honestly (and I never thought I'd say this), can't wait for them to get on to the middle school. They've become way too mature for our elementary school and their attitudes and behaviors have started to drive me nuts.

14. SuperBug!

SuperBug! Rookie

May 29, 2009

LOL, those fruit gushers are so gross but my kids will do anything for them! :D

15. mclaugcr

mclaugcr Companion

May 29, 2009

I love the idea of a "prozac-lick"! There have been many times this year that I would have taken advantage of it! :rofl:

16. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 29, 2009

I had mine study for their Quiz Bowl, I told them that the ones who couldn't study quietly couldn't compete. They were extremely wonderful and they were learning too.

17. childfont

childfont Rookie

May 30, 2009

It happens friend . In fact it is the part of the life . . . . . .

18. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

May 30, 2009

End-of-the-year-itis! Yeah!
    It's the nature of school.
    The upside is that they WILL be out of your hair in another few days. The downside is you might miss some of them.
    Hard to believe right now, but true! LOL