already sick

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pencil Monkey, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 18, 2014

It's the second week of school and I am already sick!

I HATE being sick. I can't take any sick time for me. I save it all for when my own children are too sick for school and I always go over my allotted sick days. :dizzy: Last winter I caught pneumonia and I was sick for two months.

Is there some kind of secret potion I should be taking to prevent this from happening again? I take Vitamin C and zinc already.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2014

:(

Hope you feel better soon!

Have you tried Zicam?

4. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Aug 18, 2014

Me too!!!! Today was the first day of school and I was up half the night with a fever of over 102...at one point I lost vision in my right eye!!! But I am at a new school and couldn't miss the first day of meetings! My boyfriend gave me something nasty....he has been sick for 4 weeks now and this is my 6th day of a fever. What can be done?

I really hope you feel better.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2014

Oh no! I hope that you feel better soon! I've heard teachers swear by Airborne. Haven't tried it myself, but have seen it work for others.

6. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2014

Oh no! Feel better soon!

On our 2nd day with students last week, my DH had a high fever. I told him that if he got me sick the first week of school, he had to write my sub plans. Or even better, he had to be the sub!

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 19, 2014

8 hours of sleep every night. Wash hands frequently.

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 21, 2014

Drink plenty of water, take a multi-vitamin (your body needs more than just zinc and vitamin c), get some exercise in, get plenty of rest (exercise will help you sleep better). If I take a hot shower as soon as I get home, I notice that I get sick less often- probably washing off all of those germs. During the school day I end up washing my hands 3-4 times and while I don't normally use it, if there's a stomach flu/cold/virus going around I will pull out my giant bottle of hand sanitizer and no I don't share it with anyone.

9. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2014

I never got a flu shot until this past fall and I stayed pretty healthy all during cold and flu season. Also, I get plenty of regular exercise, eat healthy, and take a multi-vitamin daily. Washing hands frequently and keeping your hands away from your face will help a lot too! I keep a window cracked open in the classroom to allow air to circulate because, even though we have central air, I always feel like it's the same old air being circulated throughout the room...yuck! I also have the kids 409 their desks and our common surfaces daily. Don't forget door knobs and handle pulls!

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 21, 2014

This is our first week of school (started on Monday the 19th). I drink TONS of water each day (at least two gallons) and wash my hands all the time. However, I've already come down with a cold! Ugh! :(

11. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Aug 21, 2014

This is my first full week of classes and I've been sick ALL week. Kids came last Wednesday. By Saturday, I was feeling pretty crappy... by Sunday, I was even worse! Over the weekend, I took the max dose of Airborne and had about 10 cups of tea!

Yesterday, I took Delsym, Mucinex, Sudafed, Ibuprofen, AND Afrin nose spray. I felt okay until I came home, but today was awful. I ran out of Delsym this morning and couldn't make it to the store on time, so I took the measely dose and coughed up a storm in the classroom. I brought in my own tissue, which was smart because I'm already half way through the box. I look like Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer because my nose is so red. It's starting to chap and it's shiny. :(

I get 8 hours of sleep, wash my hands and use hand sanitizer like crazy, but I'm still sick. :( I'm prone to sinus infections and 90% of my colds turn into one. I'm praying that doesn't happen this time! I wouldn't dare call in sick during student teaching!