Already having beginning of school nighmares

Discussion in 'General Education' started by NewbieTeachr, Jul 8, 2008.

1. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

I had one last night that my hubby and I were working at a new school and had not even went through any introduction to the school. We didn't know where are classrooms were and didn't know any of the other teachers or administration. Not only that but it was our first day and for some reason my parents drove us and we ended up getting there late! I got someone to show me my classroom and my students were in another teacher's class with her students. Instead of me taking them to my class I just sat down at a desk and watched the teacher as she taught both classes....what a nightmare!!

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2008

Yikes! I know its normal to have these, but its still very unsettling. Mine haven't started yet, but I'm sure they will in a few weeks...I don't go back until Sept. 2!

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2008

I've been having them for weeks! And I've been teaching for almost 10 years. I usually get a couple right around the first day of school. We don't go back until the last week of August. I have no idea what is going on!

5. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

I had one last night! In it I had decided to go over my rules and consequences on the second day of school, so the first day of school was a complete NIGHTMARE! The kids were up out of their seats doing whatever they wanted and wouldn't listen to me at all.

6. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

Oh, I've been having nightmares since May. I'm a first year teacher, so every time I decide to plan a certain aspect of how I want to run my classroom, I will have a nightmare relating to it. :eek:
    Instead of freaking out about them, I use them as motivation to be prepared for my students.

7. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Jul 8, 2008

We found out about three days before the last day of school we're getting a new principal. I absolutely adored my old principal and have been having new principal nightmares ever since. They've been a nagging woman, gigantic marine, and a baby to name a few. Ready to get the year started so I can just meet the new person and move on!

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2008

I dreamed I was drunk at an inservice. That was weird.

9. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 8, 2008

I've been having nightmares about this upcoming year since before school got out.

I was overwhelmed with all the changes happening at school, and I had a bad year last year and I am absolutely determined to have a better year this year.

For my to-dos, I found that if I wrote down everything that I had to do, and just add to the list as I think of things, has helped with the dreams tremendously! If things are written down, I know I won't forget them, and my brain can let them go instead of running wild.

Now, the things I have no control over...new team member, new principal, new classroom...I've just decided that I will deal with what is handed to me and I'll make the best out of the situation. A positive outlook is easier said than done, but it makes a difference in my stress level!

I hope your nightmares stop!

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 9, 2008

I'm having them, too :(

11. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

Funny story...

So this just reminded me of a funny story that my co-op teacher told me. She packed her lunch and asked her daughter to grab her a can of pop. Her daughter did and put it in her lunchbag. So at lunchtime my teacher went in to eat and was having a conversation with some other teachers. She took out her can of pop and cracked it open. Apparently the other teachers were looking at her in horror but she paid no mind. She took a sip and realized that something was off with her soda. It just didn't taste right. Haha. Turned out her daughter accidentally packed her a beer instead of pop. She was really embarrassed and dumped it all down the sink, but the other teachers don't let her forget it. :lol:

12. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2008

Newbieteacher, I can see a twilight zone internet conversation here.. Another poster starts describing this nightmare of having arrived at work and the new teacher for the school didn't show up so she had to take the other class too, then this stranger walks in and sits down and observes on the first day of school as she teaches two classes at once. I can't remember the twilight zone music but....

13. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

Why do we have these??? Ugh! Isn't the start of school stressful enough without bad sleep and school nightmares?

Last night's nightmare surrounded teaching procedures. Things were going great until lunch time when a piano player came into the room (my new room is the old music room), starting playing and my kids went ape and ran out of the room to lunch before I could orderly line them up. I had to run out of the room and track them all down. It was horrible.

14. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 9, 2008

I have been thinking about the upcoming year none stop. I think about everything I need to do 24/7. We have so many changes this coming year also. But, I did go into my classroom today and me and my daughter got most everything organized. I have made lists also and the list seems to be getting longer and longer.

15. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 9, 2008

I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one who's up at night thinking/dreaming about this stuff!

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 9, 2008

This thread is hilarious! I'm so relieved I'm not the only one dreaming of school already! Last night/this morning I woke up trying to do Power Teaching, specifically teach the kids the behaviors and responses. But they were having none of it and either just ignored me and carried on their conversations or pointed and laughed so hard they fell into the aisles!

17. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2008

I seldom have dreams that involve teaching, good or bad. However, I do often have dreams where I'm still a student - high school or college. In them ...

I haven't been to several of my classes in a very long time.
    I don't know what my grades are, but I know they're bad.
    There's nothing I can do about them.
    My mom is still alive and very, very annoying (Think George Costanza's parents on Seinfeld. That was my family. Really.)

18. glen

glen Companion

Jul 9, 2008

I've had the same 'student' dream-haven't been to class all semester, it's time for the finals, and I know it's going to be bad...

It's the only reoccurring dream I have ever had.

19. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 9, 2008

I have the student dreams, too. I always dream that I ignore the end-of-term research paper until the last minute and the library is closed.

I also dream that I can't find my class. Usually I dream it's the first day of HS, and the tardy bell rings. The halls are empty, and everyone else in in their class already. Usually I'm looking for a particular room number, say room 123. I can find room 122 and room 124, but 123 is always missing LOL.

20. Sheree

Sheree Companion

Jul 9, 2008

I'm having nightmares too! I'll be teaching at a new school this year. I pray for peaceful dreams for all of you!

21. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Jul 9, 2008

I had a very similar one! I was subbing at a new school and the secretary gave me my assignment and I couldn't find my room. None of the teachers and students in the hall would help me! Then the bell rang! gah!

22. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

It's interesting to see all the different types of back-to-school nightmares that everyone has. I haven't had another since but I'm also out of town and not thinking about school so that could be why :).

23. Teach2reach

Teach2reach Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

I feel your pain! Does anyone else start September 3rd? Maybe we can start a little support group ;)

24. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 10, 2008

I'm going into my 4th year, and I still have nightmares. I always dream that I wake up at 9:00, and by the time I get to work my principal is covering my class. :eek: