Already feeling trapped

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Boggarts, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Boggarts

Boggarts Rookie

Mar 12, 2008

I just started working for a day school a week ago. I was really excited about this job but now I'm bored. I work with 3 and 4 year olds as an assistant pre-school teacher. Personally I feel more like a glorified babysitter. Our daily schedule consist of

8-9 am arrival and morning recess
    9:00 4 yr. olds go to Spanish and 3 yr olds stay in room for academics (it has only been color sheets with the letter of the week)
    9:30 4 yr. old return and its free choice
    10:00 3's go to Spanish and 4’s stay for academics (more color sheets but a little more advanced)
    10:30 3's return free time
    10:45 show and tell (no circle time just show and tell)
    11:00 afternoon recess
    11:30 lunch with a movie (everyday!!)
    12:45 put lunch boxes away retrieve nap pad
    1-3:00 nap and quiet time. Non-sleepers are required to stay on mat area and remain quiet!!
    3:00 snack
    3:30-5:30 recess and go home

I asked the director about curriculum; she says we use Mother Goose. But all we do is color sheets and play. She told me to be patient they will be changing things some. She showed some new color sheets she is implementing in the classroom. According to her we have to work on social skills through play before we can do academics.

We don't have an art center in the classroom. It's not allowed. NO play dough, paint, white glue, etc are allowed in the classroom. No free access to paper, crayons, or any other art supply! We can do limited art projects in the cafeteria when no other class is in the room. Guess what 2's use the cafeteria for their classroom. We have no music (too noisy it damages your hearing), no library (kids destroyed books so they were taken out), and no creative outlet (too messy). There is no children’s art hanging on the walls. During the winter and bad weather kids do not go outside but play in the inside gym. It's too much hassle to dress up kids and if one forgets snow pants it's not fair to leave them out. You can not hang anything on the walls. Only on magnetic surfaces and windows.
    :help:

I am so bored and not sure what to do. Did I get into the wrong career field or is there something wrong with this day school. I'm loosing my mind. I am a creative person and want to do more. I just don't know what to do. I'm thinking of looking for another job but I don't want to get stuck in the same situation.
    I have an associations in Early Childhood Education. I hate to walk away from a job I just started. I don't want to leave her in the lurch when I said I was ready to commit myself long term to the position. I'm so frustrated.
    :help: :help: :help: :help:
    Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2008

Instead of doing color sheets, can you do some more activites with the letter of the week. I'm sure that you can get some great suggestions from others. I know that my daughter goes to a preschool and she brings home letter sheets where they've glued stuff in the shape of the letter.

Try having the students write the letter in shaving cream on the tables. This is great fun for them and cleans the tables off! Cut the letters out of sandpaper and have the children trace them. Those are just some that popped into my head.

4. Boggarts

Boggarts Rookie

Mar 12, 2008

shaving cream and other messy materials are not allowed in the classroom.

5. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 12, 2008

There IS something wrong with that day school!! That is not the way an appropriate early childhood program should operate! There should be an art center - and writing and housekeeping and manipulatives and science and so on.

There should be any coloring sheets or worksheets used in a classroom with 3's and 4's. (or, at least, very few)

Teachers are there to meet the educational, social, and emotional needs of the children. If they make a mess, you teach the children how to clean it up. Big deal. The kids NEED to go outside and run around. Teachers are there to help the kids get dressed - and undressed. That's part of the job.

I'd be looking for another job.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2008

I guess you posted before you were finished. It looks like you added some from the first time I read your post. Preschoolers learn best through play, but you also want them to be exposed to letters and numbers, art materials, books. Kids need modeling on how to use the books, the art materials, and everything else deemed "too messy" correctly. If correctly modeled the students shouldn't have any trouble with them. If a student can't handle those things properly well they sit out. I think your director is wrong on this one. And a movie during lunch? What is the point of that?

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2008

I would quit...this isn't a Preschool!

8. lauriloulou

lauriloulou Rookie

Mar 12, 2008

I would definately rethink this position. A great place to get ideas is from NAEYC re: DAP. No open ended art materials but they do worksheets????? These poor children! :(

9. Marleeismydog

Marleeismydog Rookie

Mar 13, 2008

That sounds horrid! My kids love sitting it the corner "reading" yeah the books get torn up but when that happens, we talk about the proper use of books. I buy all the children's library books at the thrift store.

If I was at that "school" i would have to re think the decision!

10. Boggarts

Boggarts Rookie

Mar 15, 2008

Thanks everyone.
    THe director says monday we'll try an aerobics class and a paint project. But if it is misused out it goes.
    I'm already putting my resume out for a new position. I'll just grin and bear it until I can find another job.
    I learned a lot hear, though. I know now what to watch for.

11. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Mar 15, 2008

Good luck finding a better place to be, I don't think I would be happy there either!

12. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Mar 16, 2008

I don't think I would be very happy there either. My children do color once in a while, but we always spend more time on a meaningful, hands-on activity. I also prefer that the children color or draw in a journal where it is more open ended.

13. JeanneSpeech

JeanneSpeech New Member

Mar 16, 2008

Please look elsewhere and don't get disenchanted. I can't believe any parent would send their child there-sounds horrible.

14. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 16, 2008

Wow that is totally different than the one where I worked. Get your questions ready for the next one and ask to tour during a busy kid time.

I never really heard anything from our director about things being too messy. What does your lead teacher say? She must be really bored.

Also, you will have a great reason to give when an interviewer asks you why you are leaving your current job.

lemon