Already Broke One of My Resolutions....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Aug 14, 2012.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 14, 2012

and school hasn't even officially started yet. :(

I said that this year I wouldn't put in so much extra work, say "no" when asked to volunteer for things more often. It's not that I don't like helping out, it's just that it's become the expectation now and I think it's unfair. Some people are just expected to step up and do more.

Well, a colleague asked me to help her with a presentation and it's a topic I'm really comfortable with, and she was nervous about, so I agreed. We met at school yesterday and knocked out a powerpoint and handouts in 2 hours-no big deal. As we were leaving, we were told by the admin to change the direction and include something different. Went back in today to make the changes. Plan on going in Thurs to do my room (our Meet-the-Teacher is Mon-we have meetings all day-if I don't go in and set up my parents will be looking at disarranged furniture and boxes. They've never planned it this early). Just read an e-mail that we are supposed to come in Friday to preview the presentation to be critiqued. *sigh* - so much for my last official week of vacation.

I just have to somehow learn to say "no". I blame my mother for giving me such a good work ethic. ;)

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2012

What the ?!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2012

My plan for the upcoming year is identical to yours, so I totally get where you're coming from.

Since you've already agreed to do this one thing, finish it up. After this, the answer is no. Say it with me....NO! :)

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 14, 2012

I'm going try...I'm really going to try! :p

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 15, 2012

Stay strong, girl!!

7. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Aug 15, 2012

I said no to something this week. An opportunity to get paid extra hours, a type of work I would like--but I know there are too many other demands on my time this year (at school and at home), so I said "thanks for thinking of me, but no. I would not be able to do it justice with my other commitments right now."

It's hard to say no!

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2012

Think of it as a nice way to ease back into work. You've gotten dressed this week, left the house, gone into school.

Use the rest of your free time this week to start practicing saying no. You'll need it this year.

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2012

It should just give you more resolve. You see what happens even when you say "ok" to something that you think will be no sweat.

This is my resolution this year too. It shouldn't be too hard... as union president, the founding GSA advisor, revamping the school newspaper, teaching a new prep, and probably starting my doctorate, I literally just can't do anything else.

10. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 15, 2012

I might consider saying you have another commitment on Friday and send them the PP via email or let your coworker go over it with them. Just a thought...

I hate being asked to do extra all the time, especially when it's not required, but 'highly recommended'. I also turned down several paid hours this summer and told them the cost of childcare just didn't justify it. My team looked at me like I'd lost my mind. While daycare isn't the same as my salary, when I get taxed and have to drive in, plus pay a higher daily rate, no, it is totally not worth it. I'll skip what amounts to $10 and hang with my daughter. :) Good luck!

11. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Aug 15, 2012

I tend to agree.. I would say you have an other commitment for Friday and either send it in via email or let the coworker handle it.

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 15, 2012

Borrowing from EtiquetteHell.com, I would use the term, "I'm afraid it won't be possible."

13. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2012

Those of us who are coming in to work in our classrooms before school begins have already been approached by admin to take on extra things. We actually were hiding out today and staying on the alert for footsteps so we wouldn't get approached! We have a hard time saying "No" too. I got suckered into taking on one new job on Monday. Not happy....

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2012

The correct answer was NO!!! :p

And repeat this 10 times.