already being pushed out!

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by newtoteach, May 27, 2008.

1. newtoteach

newtoteach Rookie

May 27, 2008

I am a new 6th grade teacher who has failed the math GK test (sigh) and has until 6/30 to pass it w/o losing my job in 6th gr. world history. I am studying like crazy and taking review classes and confident I'll pass-but there's another teacher in my dept. (who teaches 8th) and apparently she is already planning on taking my room next year and told another teacher she'd really like 6th grade and knows I prob. won't be here. Now, am I wrong to think that this is really unprofessional of this teacher? I'm still here, aren't I? And God willing I will be next year....I have had a very good year and have not had to deal w/ teacher conflict. If you were me, would you confront this teacher who wants you out :) or just let it be and pass the test (hopefully) and let her eat her words...

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 27, 2008

I wouldn't say anything to this teacher. You don't want to confront her and then have to deal with that all next year.

4. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

May 27, 2008

I agree, leave it alone. It's not worth it. Just study for your test and do what you have to and don't worry about her

5. newtoteach

newtoteach Rookie

May 27, 2008

Thanks-I'm not very confrontational anyway...it just really gets under my skin that she would actually voice her hopes to another teacher.

6. smalltowngal

May 27, 2008

I'm sure that she didn't think it would get back to you which doesn't excuse her from her comment. It might shed some light on why she said it.

7. newtoteach

newtoteach Rookie

May 27, 2008

Well of course. When things are said behind someone's back we always hope that they don't end up hearing it:) I'm just overwhelmed-as a first year teacher I've done nothing but survive all year and this is my last hurdle.

8. smalltowngal

May 27, 2008

I understand, and the teacher probably thought the teacher she told wouldn't tell anyone else so "her secret was safe". It could be that it was taken out of context, and she could have said IF she isn't here next year, then I want that room. That's why I think its best not to confront her b/c you dont know the whole story.

You have made it through the first year just fine it seems so you can get over this hurdle as well. :)

9. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 27, 2008

Don't confront her. Just smile widely when you see her next year ;)

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 27, 2008

Good luck on your test! She'll definitely have to eat her words when you pass! :D

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 27, 2008

What are you doing to prep for the test, newtoteach?

12. newtoteach

newtoteach Rookie

May 28, 2008

Teachergroupie-I am being tutored by a math teacher at school and am currently taking a four day intensive review course at our prof. dev. ctr. It seems to be helping so we shall see!:) I suffer from text anxiety and math wasn't my strongest subject...but I'm trying to be confident that if this is where I'm supposed to be that it will fall into place.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 28, 2008

Sounds promising.

Try this also: as you're taking the test, imagine yourself teaching it. What would you tell someone who's facing question X and isn't sure what to do?

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 28, 2008

Another thing: Please practice noticing what you know in the questions you encounter, rather than what you don't.

And please spend at least as much time noticing what you're doing right with math and with tests as what you're doing wrong.

(Can you tell I'm grieved by people having test anxiety?)

15. newtoteach

newtoteach Rookie

May 30, 2008

Thank you for the advice! I'm learning how to break down questions-and imagining teaching it is an excellent idea.

16. StillTeaching

StillTeaching Rookie

Jun 4, 2008

I agree with SmallTownGirl and ScienceTeach: You need to stay clear of this kind of conflict and you don't know both sides of the story.

Think about what you DO know for sure.......you can't trust this gossiping teacher. Be smart and stay away from her. She obviously didn't have your interests in mind. In fact, what could her intentions have been in telling you this? In my experience, she's probably looking for a little excitement at your expense! Sorry that you have been exposed to such unprofessionalism. Unfortunately, some teachers try to "kill their young."

Hang in there.....and seek out professional teachers who have integrity and will support you.

17. newtoteach

newtoteach Rookie

Jun 5, 2008

Thanks guys! I am taking my exam on Monday morning and I'm at peace about it. Whatever will be will be....:)

18. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 5, 2008

Let us know how it comes out newtoteach. We'll be pulling for you!

19. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2008

Good luck on your test!

20. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2008

Be glad it's just a teacher that wants you out. I just spent two years with a principal who hated me. ( our oldest girls are the same age and it stems from extra curricular stuff) I have endured harrasment and NO support from the front office. This March when she new I wasn't going to be here next year she hired the new teacher to take my place and EVERY freaking email that needed to be sent to the rest of the team requarding my replacement she sent to me as well. At one point the new teacher was coming to my room for an entire day to check out her new school and to get used to the new routines and stuff. Needless to say I was suspiciously sick that day. To me it felt like they were taking the jewlery off a the dead body in the coffin. It was pure torture my last few months at this school. (not by my team mates but by the front office) They totally went over my inventory sheet with a fine tooth comb to make sure I wasnt taking anything I wasnt supposed too. They even came into my room while I was gone and took stuff that didnt belong to them. Lets just sau I am glad to be gone and looking forward to the future.

21. kermy

kermy Companion

Jun 7, 2008

TX... that totally sucks, I'm hapopy ur out of there too!

New I would just pass the test and let her eat her own words. I would probably gloat a bit too at work and tell everyone including her :) that you passed the test! Good Luck!!

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 22, 2008

I agree that the comment, as you heard it, was very unprofessional, however, I also agree that it could have been taken out of context. You just don't know. When you get back next year, you'll have to deal with her, so it's best just to smile wide and pretend you never heard anything.

23. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Jul 2, 2008

Some teachers in 8th grade have been put there unwillingly. We had two teachers from 6th get switched to 8th by the admin. without wanting to change grade levels. You never know what kind of background this person has and reasons for wanting 6th. That doesn't excuse her saying what she said. But, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and things do get mixed up in "telephone" communications from one person to another. She very possibly could have said something like, "IF the job becomes available, I want that position." You just pass that test! Congratulations on a great first year.