alphabet cards

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by love2teach, Sep 13, 2007.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2007

Does anyone know of a site where I can find plain (no pictures or designs) abc cards? You know, the little ones that the kids use to build words. I want to make a set for each kids. Everything I have found on line has pictures or bubble letters. :rolleyes:

3. little317

little317 Groupie

Sep 13, 2007

Why don't you use a program like Microsoft Word and make a table with all the letters. It would save you money. I know what you are saying about having trouble finding plain ABC cards.

4. Tulips

Tulips Rookie

Sep 13, 2007

You could also use microsoft excel and make them on that and them laminate them for durability.

5. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2007

I thought of making them on word or excel, but was hoping that someone else had made them and posted them somewhere on the web for me to use!!! I guess I was just being lazy!

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 13, 2007

I just made a set. I printed them, laminated and cut them. I also glued magnents onto the back of a set for the board. I did them on pastel colored paper, so they could easily be seen on white table top surfaces or the white board.

PM with your email address and I will send the attachment. There are six of each of the most letters, and three of each of the less common letters. I made the set double-sided so that there were capitals on one side, and lower case on the other. I didn't have any way of finding the frequency of each letter, but so far it's been fine.

The other thing I did was use a bunch of old scrabble pieces. The kids love them!

7. Tulips

Tulips Rookie

Sep 14, 2007

The scrabble pieces are a great idea. Thanks!

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2007

Wow, littleschool, I don't think I could have done it double-sided. I'm just not that computer savvy nor do I have the patience!!

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 14, 2007

Our computers at work print out double sided if you want them to. It wasn't any extra work. I guess I had seen somewhere that the pieces should be caps on one side lowercase on the other so that you can do proper nouns.

I ended up printing just half of them double sided, and the rest single after all. I finished all the sets today. I ended up doing what I called "Mystery Word" with words from the 4 blocks, Big Words for Big Kids book. When we had some extra time or they finished their work, they kept working on. They are so into finding the words! This is the first year I have really done this well- instead of cutting out, they each have a set and we are doing it whole class with magnetic letters- and they LOVE it!

10. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Sep 14, 2007

What about abcteach.com. You have to be a member to get those kinds of things but it is a great site. I think I paid about $35 for the year.

11. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

12. rogue0208

rogue0208 Companion

Sep 15, 2007

Those are great, mommaruthie, thanks!

13. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

Sep 16, 2007

14. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2007

Thanks so much! These sights are great!!
    Littleschool, thanks for offering to Pm your flile, but I think what I have found is going to do the trick!! :) I appreaciate the offer!

For now, we are just working on cvc words, so one set for each kid should be enough. What about later in the year? If I make a 3copies of each letter, do you think that will cover it? This is for first graders?