Alphabet activities

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by disneyjen0504, Jan 19, 2007.

1. disneyjen0504

disneyjen0504 Rookie

Jan 19, 2007

Hello! I am student teaching in kindergarten and my cooperating teacher wants me to start by working with a small group of 5 kindergarten students who are having difficulty recognizing the alphabet letters and/or sounds. I found some activities and lessons but I would like to have atleast 4 per letter b/c I will be working with the students on each letter for a few days. I want to make sure I have a lot of options should a letter be more difficult or if one activity doesn't work well.
    Any one know of any good sites where I can find alphabet recognition lessons, activities, games, or crafts?
    Thank you so much!!! I only found a few so far! :)

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 19, 2007

I teach 3's and we work a lot on letter names and sounds... here are some of the things we do, maybe it will help.

We decorate our target letter with something that begins with that letter. This week has been Q, so we glued on Q-tips. Next week is R, we're doing ribbon. For N, we did noodles. P, popcorn. etc. My kids really look forward to Mondays when they know we're going to get a new letter. :) While we do it, we talk about the letter, its sound, etc. On Mondays at circle, when we introduce a new letter and sound, we come up with as many words as we can starting with that letter. The kids always like to fill the dry-erase board. :)

Sometimes for a treat, we'll hide various letters around the room and ask the kids to go (one or two at a time) and find either our letter of the week or a specific letter (when we're reviewing). They love this activity, too! We use sticky notes, but you could probably do it just as easily by having them find that letter in books or in the print around the classroom.

Fridays we do show-and-share with our letter of the week. They can bring in something from home (or we'll find something in the room) that begins with our letter. I don't know how practical that is for your group, but I bet they can go find something in the room :)

Hope that helps! :)

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 21, 2007

Maybe you can have this group make letters using their bodies or pairing up with other kids in the group to make letters. You could even take pictures. Making letters with their body and be a powerful experience.

There is a Dr. jean song called alphersize where they work out to the letters. My kids like this one.

Have the kids sit in a circle and say, I need the letter ____. Can someone get me that letter?

Put a few magnatic letters in a bag and have them pass the bag around in a circle. Have students reach in and grab one letter and try to guess what the letter is before they pull it out.

Make an alphabet arc and have students put letters on the alphabet arc.

Make letters using shaving cream or corn meal

Make letters using playdogh

Just some ideas off the top of my head.

5. LV2TCHKinder

LV2TCHKinder New Member

Jan 22, 2007

letters with playdough
    Alphabet bingo
    I have a carpet with all the letters of the alphabet and i call out a letter to each child and they have to run and jump on it.
    cut letters and pics out of magazines

6. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Jan 22, 2007

Make letters out of Stikkiwiks (spelling?), yarn, small pompoms, or Popsicle sticks.

Trace the letters in sand.

Put shampoo in a ziploc bag (this can be hard and messy, so you may want to use a funnel). I used a purple conditioning shampoo that was not very translucent from the dollar store. Tell the students to use the pads of their fingers, not their fingernails, or they will tear the bag and shampoo will be everywhere! Lay the bag on a flat surface. I have cookie trays and black laminated construction paper that I put below the bags. Usually, one student will open the bag or tear it, and this prevents it from getting on their clothing. You can draw letters in the shampoo and see it for a couple of seconds. Maybe you can do this with a mixture of cornstarch, water and food coloring. I'll have to try that at home sometime!

My students LOVE to make the letters with their bodies. We first would look at the letter and guess how many students we would need. We talk about which part we should make first. Where should we start? Is that a curved line, horizontal, vertical or diagonal line. As the children form the letters, the observers will help them by saying, "Your feet need to touch her feet." I took pictures! It was cute. I'm thinking about using those pictures to spell out something out on our yearbook page!

It helps if there is a movement and song/chant to go with each letter. Zoophonics has "o, /o/, octopus" and the students wiggle their arms like an octopus. Have the students make up their own movements so they buy into the activity.

I tried to have them cut out the target letter in magazines and mailings, but that was hard for them. The print was always too small. You can take one page of a comic strip or a child's magazine or old book. Give them highlighters and have them highlight the target letter. Also, have them use highlighting tape to highlight find and highlight the letter among the bulletin boards in the classroom.