Alpha-Bits Cereal is BACK! What do you do with them?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by tgi1515, Jul 13, 2008.

1. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

Ok. This is going to sound weird.... I'M SO EXCITED! I found a box of Alpha-Bits cereal at Wal Mart yesterday afternoon. They said NEW at the top... I haven't seen them on the shelf for several years. To say the least, there was ONE box left. It doesn't expire until August 2009 so I bought it and am now hoarding...

What do you do with Alpha-Bits?

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 13, 2008

Oh, what fun and tasty spelling practice you could have. Instead of making words with letter cards, use the alpha bits. Then eat them when you are done! I think I may have to go out and buy some now...

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 13, 2008

What do you do with them? I eat them :D

5. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jul 13, 2008

Use em to teach words like ant, hat, or short words like that or use them for learning the ABC's or Vowels , but I would tell em' like you can eat them when you are done but if you em' before we are done I will take them away. My 1st worry would be that they could not/would not learn with them and just eat em' before you said anything so I think that telling them if they ate em' too soon they would get punished is good and could work! They could work up to bigger words depending on how smart they are. (some learn faster than others as we all know)

6. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 13, 2008

My son will be so happy! He loved Alphabits when he was young! I like the practice spelling words idea!

7. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2008

I've been buying Alphabits every year. Maybe your area or store just wasn't stocking them?

I start out the year with a Chicka-Chicka-Boom-Boom unit. One day we color pictures of coconut trees and glue the cereal on and then we eat it as a snack.

You could use it to make their names, sort letters, spell words...

8. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Jul 13, 2008

If you let them have a few at first, and say these ones are for eating right now.
    Then give the ones out that they have to use and say that these ones can be eaten after the activity.
    Any students that play with them or eat them, take them away and give plastic letters to them.

9. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Jul 13, 2008

I am so psyched! I am going to have to check it out at the local stores. I hope we have them available too. I used to use them for a little treat when we were doing our keyboarding lessons in computers. Then all of a sudden they were gone and I haven't been able to do that since. Thanks for the info!

10. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Jul 13, 2008

Alpha-Bits

I usually have a hard time finding them too-I brought several boxes last school year and stil have one box left-I use them to identify consonants and vowels-
    a few years ago the Mailbox Magazine had a cute graphing activity that I use with them we also use them along with Chicka Chicka Boom Boom activities

I will have to see if my Walmart has them-:thanks: for sharing

11. rani

rani New Member

Jul 14, 2008

Marshmallow Alpha Bits

Hi,
    It's not really related to the discussion but I thought you can help me.
    My name is Rani Horev and I'm from Israel.
    My girlfriend lived in the states when she was young and it was her favorite cereals. I tried to find it through ebay, amazon, etc but with no success.
    I would be thankful if you'll help me to find it somehow or even to find the regular Alpha Bits (I understood the Marshmallow is not so different)

Thanks you!
    Rani