Almost July, still no interviews. Do you think I'm not getting hired?

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by teacherperson, Jun 20, 2017.

1. teacherperson

teacherperson Rookie

Jun 20, 2017

I just graduated to be an elementary teacher and have applied to numerous positions in several school cooperations. It is now almost July and I haven't gotten a single interview. I started applying in early May. Is it too late to keep hoping for an interview? At what point in the summer do schools tend to stop interviewing? Do you think there's a good chance I'm not getting hired at this point?

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 20, 2017

The hiring season varies throughout different regions... So, it's hard to say when schools in your area generally stop interviewing. It's not uncommon for teachers to be hired at the last minute, though, right before the school year begins. If you're not getting interviews, it could mean that you are in an area without a high need for teachers. It could also mean that you need to work on your resume and cover letter. Without more info, it's really hard to say.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2017

In many areas, getting hired immediately after graduating is uncommon; many new grads need to put in some time volunteering or subbing to build some experience and make some connections. Have you applied for sub positions? That said, I was hired for my first contract position at the end of the first week of school.

5. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jun 21, 2017

I got hired 5 weeks into last school year. So there's always hope.

6. Sab

Sab Companion

Jun 21, 2017

Where are you looking?
    I just graduated in CA and am trying to look for jobs around the bay area, which I haven't been successful in thus far either. I applied to a few rural places as backup options and those have been the first to call me and seem the most desperate for teachers. I've gone for a few interviews with some sites and ended up withdrawing my application in every case upon realizing I really, really don't want to live any of those places, but I'm getting worried I'm going to end up with no job too.

If you're willing to move, look for schools offering a huge signing bonus if you're credentialed. It's a sign that they need teachers really badly.

Anyways, I don't think it's too late yet, most people who graduated with me are still looking also, but I sympathize because I'm getting pretty stressed about it too!

anon55 likes this.
  7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2017

If you are not getting interviews, the first thing I would do is to evaluate your cover letter and resume. When my son graduated, he kept telling me that he had a cover letter and resume that they had crafted while in the university - all education students did this. When I actually was allowed to read these "fine" documents as I helped send out applications, I realized they were so poorly written (in terms of selling one's self to potential employers) and generic that my guess was that they all ended up in the trash. I gave him an extra graduation gift at that point. I paid for a much more professional resume for him, written to accentuate the positives, structured to highlight all of his skills and accomplishments. He started getting interviews almost immediately.

You may be an excellent writer, so understand that I am not saying that you can't create a cover letter and resume that would get interviews, but after the situation with my son, it would be negligent to just assume that your cover letter and resume are really grabbing the eye of hiring personnel. There are forum members who are really good at helping you do it yourself, although I personally pay to have my own, as well as my son's resumes written by professionals. We have input and the right to have changes made during the creative process, so it is still individualized, but we benefit from the fact that these writers make a living doing this. Word of mouth and success in securing interviews drives their value and customer satisfaction, which ultimately makes them successful, so they stay on top of trends, styles, and what the potential employers want to see in a CL and resume.

I am NOT saying that your CL and resume are bad - only that I would be looking there first to see if changes could be made that might improve your chances of interviews. Your CL and resume are the only documents that the hiring committee have to determine who to interview, so make sure yours does you service.

Best of luck!

mathteachertobe likes this.
  8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 22, 2017

I agree it depends on your area. Some schools might not know what positions will be open yet. Keep applying and maybe also put your application in to sub just in case.

9. laoshijiejie

laoshijiejie Rookie

Jun 22, 2017

I know in my area a lot of positions are still waiting for budget approval or for a student number increase and they most likely won't hire until the end of summer. I've heard quite a few people say they were hired right before school started or even after school started. Just keep applying and don't give up hope!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 22, 2017

We had two positions open yesterday, and we start school the first week of August. Two people in our building transferred to other positions in the district, so now we have two open.

11. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  12. JaySilver21

JaySilver21 Rookie

Jun 22, 2017

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I just received my first interview (didn't get hired). Some schools will wait almost 30 days after posting a job before conducting interviews.

13. Sab

Sab Companion

Jun 22, 2017

The thing that drives me nuts is that I started emailing some districts on Edjoin that hadn't even viewed my applications to ask about their hiring timelines and they all have said the positions are already filled. Wish they would remove the postings so I didn't have to waste so much time applying for filled positions! Some of them were very recently posted too!

Anyways, just today I got a super super last minute interview, they called me today and interviewed today. So I guess it's definitely not too late yet!

14. Angelhair

Angelhair Rookie

Jun 29, 2017

A week ago I thought this was it--I will not get any more interviews and my first two interviews were so horrible, totally unprepared. This week I got 3 more interviews and today 3 offers. Never give up. Some people even got hired in September or November.

bella84 likes this.
  15. Sab

Sab Companion

Jun 29, 2017

All the places I withdrew my application was because I realized throughout the interview process that I just wouldn't be willing to relocate for the job. Like, a couple weeks ago I drove several hours to an interview for a 5th grade position and when I got there they told me I would sign an open contract with the district and could be placed in any school or grade. Considering it's not even July, I definitely wasn't about to do that. In some cases looking at the available housing on Craigslist has deterred me. Honestly, I would just strongly prefer to stay in the Bay Area. I'm not that willing to move to rural nowhere in CA where I know nobody. I'd rather sub a bit longer in the area while working on my single subject credential for the following school year or find another job entirely. I'm not particularly picky among districts in the bay, I've applied almost everywhere (except south bay so far)

16. Sab

Sab Companion

Jun 30, 2017

I get that. Teaching is way different than subbing, and it's virtually impossible to actually make a living off subbing alone anyways. I don't want teaching to be my career forever though. And I just don't want to take a job where I'm going to be miserable, I know how horrible that can be and at this point I'm just not that desperate. Maybe I'll expand my search during the latter parts of summer, but right now it doesn't seem necessary. I'm still seeing new desirable positions on Edjoin posted pretty much daily, so I'm not yet willing to sign a contract for a job I don't particularly want

17. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jun 30, 2017

This is my experience too. Administrators here actually look down on resumes with sub experience on them. They think that if you were a good teacher, you would have gotten a contract. I got really lucky in my area that a high-needs district found me in late August. Subbing is a choice of last resort, and hope to get out of it as quickly as possible.

18. Sab

Sab Companion

Jun 30, 2017

I am getting interviews in the bay though. I just got two offers yesterday. I just haven't gotten hired out of it yet lol but hopefully soon

19. DawnH

DawnH Guest

Jul 2, 2017

Do not be discouraged. I just got a phone call today (Sunday) from a district to have a phone interview tomorrow. It is a screening interview. Last year I was hired at a charter school for January after winter break. You just never know. Do not give up. Good luck :)