(almost) got a job!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by newteacher26, Aug 21, 2010.

1. newteacher26

newteacher26 Companion

Aug 21, 2010

I'm a little upset. Yesterday was meet the teacher for my kids. While there, the school principal came up to me and asked me if a principal from another school contacted me. I told her no. She said she'd given my name to her just 2 days ago because she was looking for a teacher. She told me to go to the school and speak to her. I hesitated a bit because i wasn't dressed; I was wearing flip flops, jeans and a tee. Well I went anyway. The principal was busy but asked me to leave my name and number. Well, she called me this morning and told me that because they had to make such a quick decision, they'd already hired a teacher on Thursday (same day they did interviews). I was bummed when she told me but I went ahead and told her that her campus just so happened to be the one where i'd be doing my student teaching starting next week. She was so excited to hear that and told me she could not wait to meet me. :) Even though I didn't get this position, I still have hope that something will open up!

For those of you who haven't been hired, don't lose hope!! Go volunteer/sub. Keep in contact with HR. Make connections. I was able to get to know the principal by volunteering at the school and attending all of my kids' school functions. Put yourself out there for the principal, teachers, and staff to get to know you.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2010

I don't understand how you were looking for a job when you have student teaching coming up? :confused:

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 21, 2010

That was my question.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2010

I am also confused. Unless you were hoping it would be an internship type position where you do that instead of student teaching, but I thought you have to be in a special program for that????

6. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 21, 2010

I've heard of student teachers ending their student teaching early because they were hired for a position. I'm sure if she's in a high need position or the school needs her NOW to fill a position, the state will waive the student teaching and allow her to get a license.

7. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Aug 21, 2010

My friend in VA did exactly that. She had student teaching to do, got hired in VA and they waived her st requirement.

8. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Aug 21, 2010

That was going to be my first question too! Good luck with the student teaching, it might give the Principal a chance to see you in action and if nothing pops up at that school they might at least be able to recommend you to somewhere else :)

9. newteacher26

newteacher26 Companion

Aug 21, 2010

That's exactly what Texas does. If I were to be hired full time all I'd have to do is apply for my probationary certificate. My 1st full year of teaching service would be my internship, which replaces student teaching. At the end of the school year I will be able to get my standard certificate which is good for 5 years at a time.

Most of the alterntive certification programs here in Texas work that way. I'm not in an alt cert program but my university is one of the few (that I know of) who work the same way as one.