Almost Finished my first week

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by 1cubsfan, May 3, 2012.

1. 1cubsfan

1cubsfan Companion

May 3, 2012

I have almost made it through my first week in the classroom! I have two more weeks, then summer, then finish my student teaching in the fall.

So far it has been fantastic. The students are amazing (freshmen and sophomores... I am so impressed with their maturity and insights), my mentor teacher is giving me full autonomy in the classroom (even working in the hallway so the students will go to me), which would probably be intimidating to some but I find that it really gives me the responsibility, and so far my lessons have gone well.

The one thing that has been difficult is making sure I am ahead of the students. The classes are doing two novels, and I hadn't read either of them since high school, and I had literally two days to learn them before I started teaching, so that has been difficult.

The other thing that is harder than I expected is having to write lesson plans. I have to write full nine point lesson plans for two classes, every day.

I find this very impractical because the structure of the class doesn't really fit the structure of the lesson plan. While I do keep in mind the intro, closure, objectives, etc., it just isn't feasible. The lesson plan format also doesn't really lend itself to running a classroom- who do I need to talk to, what reminders do I need to give, what assignments do I need to introduce, what procedures will I have to reinforce, etc. So I end up having to write out my daily plan somewhere else anyways. I also find that I need to be so flexible because things come up, take longer, etc. that I don't end up following the lesson plan anyways.

Do any teachers actually write full lesson plans for every lesson each day?

3. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

May 3, 2012

I have asked many teachers that very question...and am often met with a laugh in return. :)

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 3, 2012

I don't. Just the objectives and any activities associated.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 3, 2012

When I was going through my credential program I learned to write the full lesson plans (3 pages), those were my only experiences. Then when I started student teaching, I was just writing the lesson plans for myself, but the only way I felt comfortable was the full plan. Not with everything, for example I didn't spell out accommodations, etc., but did include everything step by step.

It wasn't until much later that i was able to reduce it. Now my lesson plans for English look like this:
    - silent read 10 minutes
    - warm up (on Powerpoint)
    - vocab
    - intro to story, discuss background
    - quickwrite
    - read part of story, pages XY-XZ
    - answer questions 1,2,3
    - closure: quickwrite

For geography is simpler:
    - warm up (printed out), usually includes vocab.
    - read pages XY, paragraphs XY
    - ask questions (on Powerpoint), student answer and take notes
    - interpret maps, etc - optional
    - view video clips - optional

I have everything on Powerpoint, so that is the skeleton of my lessons, and this plan is just a point of reference, to what needs to be done, how to manage time, and to make notes on actually how much got done.

You're writing the lesson plans for yourself, so do what makes you feel comfortable.

6. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

May 3, 2012

You write lesson plans until you get familiar with the topics and their timing. That's one thing my student teacher has a hard time grasping. She can see how I prepare for class, and doesn't understand how I can do it.

Unless it's a topic I've rewritten over summer or winter break, the lesson plan is the same. I know approximetly how long things take based on past experience.

For example, today the kids were discovering Pascal's triangle. I knew the warmup exploration was 15 minutes long, the discussion was 10 minutes, and then the same problems were another 15 - 20 minutes. This left me 30 minutes for practice classwork before needing a wrapup closure. I knew all of these things because I've done it in the past. My lesson plan exists in my head.

I was more formal with my student teacher when we first started together, but now she writes lesson (detailed) plans solely for her coursework. When she first started, I asked her to show them to me, now I only ask to see the topics, how long they'll take, classwork, and any problems questions she thinks may arise. She still writes the lesson plans and keeps them in the binder, but as she's begun to notice, once you've taught things, you have a better idea how they run. (Because of scheduling, this is the 2nd time she's taught this class.. so the material is not new to her.)

Of course, if it's something I've rewritten, I write a basic plan... but that's usually done when I write the lesson. I just review it before the lesson is given.

Everybody is different though, I know people who write detailed lesson plans and it works for them. As I told my ST... you'll find what works for you and you'll run with it

7. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 4, 2012

The paperwork will get easier: you get more efficient at it, and you build up a library of the stuff.

I hope you can focus a little on the fact that your lessons and relationship with your students are going so well. Those accomplishments and skills are far more rare and important than facility with mere paperwork.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 4, 2012

That seems really late for a student teaching placement. Are you still student teaching next year or is your student teaching considered done?

I always do a short format lesson plan. These differ from the long-format lesson plans that my credential courses require. I can provide a link to my template here:

https://drive.google.com/previewtemplate?id=1i13rgqmQN_tBNK_Y31IkkU21e3mSa5ZQDKhnFTyatS8&mode=public

I try to make it so my lesson plans do not exceed a page in length, and the main purpose of it is to have documentation that my lessons match the California State Standards, and that I have objectives and assessments. (My assessments are usually just a short exit ticket at the end of the day where they have to draw something and write a complete sentence about what they learned specifically about the topic we covered that day on a quarter sheet of paper.)

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 4, 2012

The only times I've ever written a full lesson plan was when I was going through the BTSA program my first year of teaching. After that, I've never written a lesson plan again.

Good luck with student teaching!! :)

10. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

May 8, 2012

I write lessons for the entire week and submit them to the administration.

11. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 8, 2012

I wrote lesson plans for my student teaching, but haven't written any since. I just quickly outline the topics i'm covering and write down a few problems to do as a class. None of the teachers in my school actually write the kind of lesson plans that I learned how to write in college.