almost cried today

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by nyteacher85, Nov 30, 2010.

1. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Nov 30, 2010

I'm an LTS in a 2nd grade classroom. Going in I knew the class was difficult but it's really getting ridiculous. I'm having trouble teaching because of the constant talking. On top of that, I have a student who is very disruptive and throws tantrums when he receives a consequence. Today it got so bad that I almost had a break down. Today I started using whole brain teaching. I have started with class-yes but they are so loud that only a few respond. Does anyone have any suggestions?

3. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Nov 30, 2010

No suggestions just know I'm in the same boat as you...I did cry today though. I had a meeting with the principal and just started crying. But then I went in tough after that and for a good part of the day it was good. The principal looked at me and said I know you want to be here, you accept all help given to you but I can tell your heart is damaged. She nailed it on the head!

Keep your head up and find help. I've learned this year it is not about me. I am taking any help I can get. I don't care what others think of me I'm working to get better and we will.

4. gypsy

gypsy Rookie

Nov 30, 2010

I know how you feel. I'm not in a LTS position, but as a sub I know how frustrating it can get when kids constantly talk over you. All you want to do is teach, but that becomes futile when you're trying to get them to listen. And even when they do quiet down they never really respond to the lesson or participate. Sigh.

How long have you been in the position and how long is the position for? Maybe as time passes they'll get it that you're the teacher and not just some random fill in for a small period of time. I think getting to know the kids will really help a lot too. I've heard that teaching approach you tried works, so just keep trying it and it may catch on. Perhaps you could take some time in the morning to not only go over the existing rules (or work with the class to develop new ones) but to remind them of your discipline plan. Then stick with it, no matter what. Also, as a LTS I'm pretty sure that gives you the authority to call parents as needed (you may want to get advice from other LTSubbers on that though). If the kids see that you are actually in a position of consistent authority, they will likely respond differently to you. And if it's still really bad, I don't think you should be afraid to ask the principal for help.

Try and stay positive at all times. I know it gets hard-believe me. Some days I come home questioning myself and my abilities, but try your best to remain positive. I think a little of that will go a long way.

5. The Substitute

The Substitute Rookie

Dec 2, 2010

Hi NY,

This is extremely frustrating. My off the cuff advice would be to not try to move forward with teaching the curriculum until you've taught them how to behave in class (by all means teach curriculum, just realize that it’s of secondary importance to teaching proper routines) otherwise your stay with this class will feel an awful lot like trying to push a large boulder up hill.

Many young kids have no idea what ‘quiet please’ ‘listen’ ‘come here now’ or ‘straight line’ actually mean. Does quiet please mean no talking? Does it mean talk quieter? Or does it mean nothing at all because mom and dad never follow up with this request at home when they don’t get compliance?

I’d avoid the use of wait time – while this technique is popular it doesn’t work well when compliance is low. If I had to I’d have every student put their head down on their desk until I got a minute of silence, then I’d teach them what silence looks and sounds like (mouths closed, hands and feet still) and I’d hold them accountable for performing it correctly whenever I requested it.

Good luck. I’m sure once you get this class turned around you’ll enjoy your stay there.