Almost, But Not Quite, Given Up

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsC, May 10, 2012.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 10, 2012

I have almost given up on a couple of my students, and I don't give up easily. In spite of extensions, recess detentions (which they sometimes come to and sometimes ignore), parent phone calls and meetings, meetings with the vice-principal, endless reminders, cajoling and threats, they just won't complete work. It's always, "almost finished" and they'll "hand it in tomorrow". I told them today that I am finally getting the message they are sending--"Get off my back, MrsC." They'll pass this year--we don't retain--but will be in a lot of trouble next year in high school. :(

3. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

May 10, 2012

I'm sorry! I know you won't really give up, but sometimes it's hard. Hang in there. Wish I had some advice.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 10, 2012

It is that time of year Mrs.C! Hopefully with your little talk today, they'll give you some work tomorrow to at least show that they care a bit.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 10, 2012

:hugs: I feel you.

I sent home 46 failing notices today. Forty. Six. I'm running out of pep talks, running out of ways to make them to review for tests, running out of pleas and straight-up begging them to turn in a project.

I honestly believe that they think I won't *actually* put an F on their report card.

6. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 10, 2012

Just throwing this out because I used it once when I had a few students who thought they didn't need to do anything either--
    Compile a list of concepts or standards the student needs to still show you they do understand, then provide them with an opportunity to put together a project proposal that will meet all of those concepts. If they can do the project (which they might want to do since its going to be done their way) and show you they learned something, you met the requirements of what your school wants you to do. You can't force the student to have integrity-- they have to decide how they want to live their lives.

And then just forget them. I've taught close to 400 students already and I have ONE student I just cannot stand-- thank God he's smart-- but he's sexist, crude, and fights the teachers on everything (Mom thinks he's an angelic prince). He does the bare minimum of work and shows me he's learning what he needs to-- I don't bother to try to make him a good child at this point. And I'm counting down the days until I can say good bye to him at graduation and look forward to better students next year. The rest of my 144 students this year I love and adore. :)

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 10, 2012

I'm at about a 50% fail rate. These are seniors who only need to finish my class, maybe one or two others (we're on semester scheduling), before they graduate. At least five have a ZERO in my class, having been with me since mid-January. This is the worst I've ever seen it. Maybe there's some kind of cloud hovering over the middle of the continent?

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 10, 2012

Trust me, cat, that cloud's continent-wide.

9. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 10, 2012

It feels like all of the kids are just getting sick of doing work right now. And the weather is getting really nice, so that's not helping much.

It's hard when you can't help them anymore.

10. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

May 10, 2012

Sounds like a scorching case of senioritis,

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 10, 2012

You don't give up on students, they give up on themselves.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 10, 2012

Doesn't it kill you to reach that point?? To know that you've used every trick, every technique you know, and none of it has made them care. And that they're making an awful decision, and there's absolutely nothing in the world you can do to change it.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 10, 2012

That's what breaks my heart. We can't make them care. We still have 7 weeks left of school, though. We're a long way from done.

Sarge, thanks for your comment. I really do need to look at it that way.

14. Miss Beazly

Miss Beazly Rookie

May 10, 2012

I think this says it all.

15. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

May 13, 2012

:yeahthat: And I actually had a kid tell me that he didn't care because he knew he was going on to the high school! After doing absolutely nothing all year, failing everything, he was passed on to high school because he was not generally a behavior problem and he had no learning disabilities. He had parents who openly felt education was a waste of time and argued with us all the time about how we push kids too hard, etc.

16. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 13, 2012

You know what's funny??? :)
    You guys have all these kids who are about to fail. I have had 8th grade classes with 1/3 of the student below C-, and my own daughter who actually failed a couple of subjects this past semester....
    However, at the detention center all students are getting As and Bs and Cs !!! ??? !!! The principal actually made a comment about that: how is it possible that none of the student have Fs and Ds???? These are kids with below grade level skills, mostly because they hadn't showed up to school or did any work or cared any....

Our teachers dumb down and water down so much... It's so frustrating. I myself have only given 2 Fs since October, and a couple of Ds. This is based on their classwork and tests (we don't give homework) so if they do all their work in class (which they kinda have to, otherwise I get on their case), and don't do so well on their tests they're still ok. But if they really do their work, and they pay attention, that means they won't do so badly on their tests.

Anyways, I make them work hard, so at this point a lot of them hate me. (even my 'angel' class has turned against me). It is because other teachers really don't give them much, and then they come to my class, and it's work work work.

Oh, I'm sorry, I have so much to vent!! We really need a forum on alternative education where I can just let go of my frustrations...

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 13, 2012

MrsC~I totally understand where you're coming from. The seniors know that they're grades have already been frozen so they can't fail the last 6 weeks of school. I have some underclassman that have just given up, no matter what I've done to get them to turn in their work.

18. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 13, 2012

My district is starting something called 8.5 where eighth graders who aren't academically ready for HS are put in this program and have to show are ready before they can officially become freshmen. Sadly, it is not so much about the kids but more about the district as kids who don't graduate on time, or at all, affect the ranking on the state report card.

19. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

May 13, 2012

:hugs:

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 13, 2012

I understand.

I feel desperately that I need to reach these students as they're just entering middle school which I find to be such a determining point in their lives. I want them to want to succeed. Some have rarely felt successful, and I strive to give them a taste of that and hope they begin to crave it. Sometimes it works. Other times, in order to keep myself from going mad, I just have to accept that I cannot control another human being.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 13, 2012

They'll have 4 more fairly major assignments and 2 or 3 smaller ones before the end of the year. For some of them, it's the opportunity to either redeem themselves a bit or completely "tank".

22. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 13, 2012

I have a kid who will definitely fail my class this year. It's just not mathematically possible at this point, and that is after giving him every opportunity to make stuff up. It just can't happen.

He also failed me last year in 9th grade, so they put him back in 9th English (with a different teacher since I don't have 9th this year) plus 10th English. I hate how they set these kids up to fail - he can't pass one English class so maybe he will be able to pass two. :confused: But on top of that - he might fail the 9th English again. He just won't do work and I can't tell if he is lazy or just so confused that he doesn't want to try or look stupid. It breaks my heart. I wish they would just pull him from my class and put him in study hall so he has a chance at passing the other English at least, but they won't, so I told him to just work on his stuff from English 9 while he is in my class.

There is a big difference between giving up on a kid and being realistic about what's going to happen to them. If this kid ends up in his 3rd year of high school next year and is still taking 9th and 10th grade English, I really don't see a lot of great things happening from there. Statistically, it's pretty likely he will drop out. That doesn't mean I won't do everything I can to make sure he isn't a statistic. But we can be realistic about the scenario, too.

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 13, 2012

That's where I see a couple of my students ending up, silver. I try to prepare them for the reality of high school--where they will fail if they don't do the work--but I'm not sure they believe me.

24. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 13, 2012

One of my students with a 0% is also failing TWO other English classes. When I asked his counselor if he could drop my class so he could concentrate on it later, even in summer school, it was denied. She wanted to keep him on track to graduate on time. Most likely I'll get my wish anyway and see him on my rolls for summer school.