Allowed to use copier?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by scholarteacher, Oct 1, 2009.

1. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2009

At our school, each teacher is alloted 1000 copies per month. Trouble is, they pool the number on the grade level, so 8 classes in our grade get 8000 copies. Some people go way over and then others get shorted on their number. Our district/school can't afford toner for the machines. So I'm going to Kinkos and spending $15 at a time to make copies for my kids. Oh, yeah, we didn't get our curriculum literacy workbooks either, so if we want any literacy work for them, we have to pay for our copies or wing it somehow. Anyone else having that problem?

3. hatima

hatima Devotee

Oct 1, 2009

I know this has been an ongoing problem here, but it varies by school and how the money is uses--or something like that. When I was in HS my teachers charged us money for each time they had to give us a new copy of HW or a handout. This cut back on how many people lost important class information. I think they started at $0.25 and went up. One teacher maxed out at $5.00. This was because the school didn't have enough $ for the copy machine and teachers had to go to Kinkos or Office Depot or Office Max, others used Staples. I think one used the public Library.

Some schools here sit as a grade level and say, we need this many copies of this and this, we don't really need this...and so one. Some math sheets are laminated (for games EDM) and reused next year. An alternative to lamination is to put in a paper protection sleeve and you can still use dry erase markers..

As for Literacy alternatives, depending on grade they can write out the answers. But I'd say that would not work for primary. How supportive is the community...can they help out...with fundraisers and such?

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2009

Is there any way a new system can be worked out for each teacher to be responsible for their own 1000 copies? Our copy machine at a school that I once worked at would lock a teacher out when they reached their copy max.

5. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Oct 1, 2009

Like beckysuek, I used to work at a school where each teacher had their own code. It seems like you have a grade level code. If they can make a grade level code, why can't they make individual codes? That would make the most sense.

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 1, 2009

Have the students write more instead of copying so much stuff. Back in the day kids copied stuff off the board.

We write stories, do second drafts, and formal drafts. I use this for grammar and writing.

My kids, 2nd grade, also write story summaries.

See how creative you can be without using worksheets.

7. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Oct 1, 2009

Howdy. How about working with small groups? I sometimes will copy only 5 of any certain worksheet, insert the copies into sheet protectors, and have the students do their work with a dry erase marker. They LOVE the markers. I can just do a quick check of their work, have them erase their work, and you'll be ready for the next group. You could have them do the worksheet in centers, by table groups, by reading group, etc. I ordered a huge box of sheet protectors from my district's warehouse for little $$, and I asked parents to bring in fine tip dry erase markers on the supply list (you could not add it to a newsletter). Try it! (And, I'll chime in...ask for individual copy codes...we also have them).

8. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Oct 1, 2009

I meant that you COULD add it to your newsletter...... ;)

9. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2009

I'll bet your copier can be set to individual codes, and like previous poster said, lock the user out after 1,000. That's what we have.

I teach writing and just don't need so many copies. But the reading teacher needs a lot, so I give her a lot of my "copies left". (We all teach about 80 kids each since we are departmentalized, and she has no consumable items.)

10. Liljag

Liljag Companion

Oct 2, 2009

We actually have an environmental law here where we cannot really make hardly any copies/none for classroom use. An easy way to get the most out of your copy is just to copy it on an overhead and keep it up during the lesson so that students can still do the work during the lesson.

11. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Oct 2, 2009

Yeah, thanks. We tried, but they say it's too much trouble to re-program numbers for every teacher every month. I just can't believe copy resources are that low to begin with!

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 2, 2009

Our codes were for the year. We had 500 sheets a month or 5000 sheets a year. I would copy 80% of mine at the beginning of the year. Then I knew what was important was taken care of each month.

13. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Oct 2, 2009

We have individual copy codes. We are allocated 330 copies per month (for a class of 24 students). This means that I have become more creative where my copying is concerned. Lots of things I will not copy individually I will instead copy it on tagboard, insert it into a sheet protector and give them a dry erase marker. We also have laser printers in our classrooms and I will print on draft mode (saves toner) and print 2 pages per side (ends up being a small book when you put it together) I also print front and back.