allowed to give infractions at this school?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by oldstudent, Mar 19, 2012.

1. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Mar 19, 2012

Why are subs no longer allowed to give infractions at this school?

One of my favorite schools to sub at is the same middle school I attended over 40 years ago. I hated it then, but I like it now.

I just learned the other day, however, that subs are no longer allowed to give out infractions, or, maybe we were never allowed to, but I was merely unaware of this.

Infractions are signed by the teachers in the students' agendas for behavior violations and must be signed by parents.

Too many infractions can result in detentions, Saturday school, or expulsions.

I never had to give out many, but the knowledge I could was a tool I could use to encourage good focus.

The students know that subs cannot give out infractions, so our hands are now tied a bit. The students are still generally good, but with this restriction, it is likely more behavior issues could arise.

What is the rationale for putting this restriction on subs?

Is there a belief that students will test subs more often, resulting in a disproportionate number of infractions that the administrators will not want to deal with?

Is there a concern that some subs will be hot tempered and give out unearned infractions for trivial matters?

Is there the belief that students cannot be expected to know the tolerance level of a sub, hence compromising the validity of the infraction?

Any ideas would be welcome.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2012

I would guess that perhaps subs were giving out too many infractions. Perhaps some subs were using infractions as a first step in classroom management, when the first step for most offenses should be a short conference with the student or something else.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 19, 2012

I think that subs may give out more referrals (are they the same as infractions?) then teachers. There are several reasons for this:
    1. some subs cannot handle classrooms
    2. even if the sub is good, the students often act up, because they think it is a day off, when they can goof around, etc. sometimes they cannot handle having their routine disrupted.
    3. teachers often encourage subs to write referrals.

I remember several teachers left me notes saying "anyone giving you any problems, send them to the office with a referral". Normally, you would go through several steps before you'd get to a referral: verbal warning, set change, time out in another classroom, give detention (teacher would need to call home and enforce it), and if all else false you should send the kid to the office. You can write a referral without sending them to the office, but either way, it's the last resort. Unfortunately, a lot of subs follow what the teacher says 100 %, which could result 5-10 referrals in one day, if they can't handle the classes, if they're rough or are just having a bad day. (in this case it's unfortunate, because in my opinion, the teacher is not giving very good advice here).

In a way I can understand why they would limit this, but it does tie the subs' hands, and if the students know it, they can take advantage of it.

The only idea I have is to write up the infraction, leave it to the teacher, and let the student know it will be enforced. Of course this is not that great, because the punishment is not immediate, and if the teacher doesn't enforce it, the sub loses credibility. But if it is enforced, then it can work.

5. hatima

hatima Devotee

Mar 19, 2012

Sounds like a school I wouldn't be back to as a sub. What is the school going to do to ensure students show subs respect. Subs should be a little harsher than the teacher because kids, even the good ones, tend to take advantage of subs unless they know the sub has the power to cause "trouble" for them.

6. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Mar 19, 2012

Referrals used to be for 7th and 8th graders and infractions for 6th graders.
    I believe they have changed it so all grades get infractions, thus eliminating referral slips.

I will need to clarify this.

All responses make sense so far.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 19, 2012

What is the actual difference between an infraction and a referral? I've never worked in a school that used infractions.

A referral (at least at the schools where I have worked at) is an actual referral to the P, because the problem is serious. For example: physical injury, property damage caused by a student, or repeated offenses of disrespect, or being tardy 4 times at one school, or not showing up for detention (in this case AP assign detention for double time). These 2 are specific to schools.

So referrals shouldn't be given out for anything minor, that's how they lose their effectiveness.

8. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Mar 20, 2012

Infractions do not generally accompany a trip to the office. They usually do not.

Therefore, subs giving out infraction should not influence the administrators.

I will need to find out the relationship between infractions and referrals, and if subs can give referrals.