Allergy Classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by theteacherinme, Aug 17, 2011.

1. theteacherinme

theteacherinme Rookie

Aug 17, 2011

Hello! This year, I have the "nut-free" classroom. Many of these kids are also allergic to dairy. Can you help me think of some yummy snacks that I could make for my class this year? Each year, I usually have a Valentine's Day breakfast, Thanksgiving feast, random parties to reward good whole class behavior, and a Halloween party. Any ideas?

3. Gracie44

Gracie44 Rookie

Aug 17, 2011

Hi, what about rice crispy treats for being nut free? Dairy can be tougher, I love to cook so I would have to know more about the level of the allergy. For example, I have a really good recipe for a chocolate torte that just requires eggs, butter, and chocolate. I have another good recipe for a fruit crumble that only has butter (which you might be able to remove).

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2011

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2011

We use applesauce in place of butter for my cousin who has dairy allergies.

6. Srohl

Srohl Rookie

Aug 17, 2011

Ask the parents for ideas. They would know better than anyone else. Plus, they might offer to make the treats for you.

7. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Aug 17, 2011

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 17, 2011

Vegetables and dip are always fun and healthy! :D You can cut little red hearts out of red pepper, for example. And the kids wont have a sugar rush afterwards lol

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 17, 2011

Be sure to read labels! I haven't bought pre-made rice krispy treats in years because the word peanut appears on the label! As the Mom of a peanut allergy child, I'm always amazed at how little people know about food allergies.

10. theteacherinme

theteacherinme Rookie

Aug 17, 2011

Thanks everyone!

11. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2011

I would check with all parents before baking/cooking for the kids. While you heart is in the right place, you never know just how sensative the allergy can be. Rule of thumb in my room is that you eat what your parents packed for you. If it is birhday food and it does not have a pre-packaged label for me to read, the kid can't eat it. It may sound harsh, but it is better than dealing with an allergic reaction. Most parents are apprecaitve, and in the past I have had parents of these kids send in pre-approved "treats" to keep in the room in case a celebration or birthday comes up.

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 17, 2011

I seem to have allergies every year. I found that doing an Asian themed feast worked in my class because a lot of the noodles are rice, therefore gluten free and there is no dairy. Just don't do peanut sauce.

Fruits and veggies are always good. There are neat snacks you can make on skewers.

I had all these plans to do a big chocolate unit and may have too many allergies.

13. Alison

Alison New Member

Aug 18, 2011

I've never actually been in charge of a class before, and I am not sure your districts policies on snacks, but all of that aside, I think this idea is wonderful. While I am not technically "allergic" to gluten and dairy (I have Celiac and lactose intollerance), I can understand where you're coming from.

I find that most recipies can be subsituted with soy/almond/coconut/lactose-free milk (yes, they make milk that is lactose-free). However, your options might be limited since children can also have soy allergies and you are avoiding nuts. If none of your students are allergic to soy, I would say that is your best option.

One of my favorite snacks, nut free, dairy free, and gluten free, is "Chex" mix. It is a little different from your normal chex mix, but is pretty good. Buy two different types of chex mix (make sure to get the ones that are gluten free, they will be clearly marked), dairy-free butter, sub banana chips for the garlic chips, and raisins for the nuts. You can also buy gluten/dairy free preztels (bite sized) at most Walmarts. Follow Chex's original recipie for preperation/quantity, minus the "savory" parts, since this is certainly a sweet snack.

This might not work for you, because of other allergies, but if you can serve it, I find it is a great snack, and messes can easily be cleaned up (I have a 4 year old neice and 6 year old nephew).

Hope I helped a little!

(Oh and a note, because I read someone's post about Asian themed foods. The rice noodles are great - big fan of them myself-, but you have to watch out because a lot of soy sauce is made with wheat, and therefore contains gluten. They do however, make gluten-free soy sauce!)

14. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2011

If you google around a bit, you will find a lot of resources for gluten-free vegan diets, including soy free. Avoiding dairy couldn't be easier. You can have all the cookies and cupcakes you want. Look into books like Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. It's a myth that dairy is needed for tasty baked goods. In fact, the overall winner of Cupcake Wars on Food Network was a vegan baker.

Chocolate shouldn't be a big problem if you use quality semi-sweet chocolate without all the fillers.

Celiac disease can be complicated though--some people just need to avoid gluten, but others are so sensitive anything prepared in a non gluten free kitchen can set them off.

15. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 18, 2011

Dairy allergy children may not be able to eat pre packaged rice crispy treats. However, you can make them (or a room parent) and then they would be a fine plan. Dairy free things are quite easy to make....our family is dairy free for exactly this reason and you can PM me for recipes if you would like.

16. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 18, 2011

Dip is one of those things that is dairy and over looked by many. There are soy sour cream products and soy cream cheese and the like. Fruit is a great thing for allergy rooms as well.

17. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 18, 2011

Talk to the parents and check the local chocolate store....you know the kind that makes the candy on site. They may surprise you. I bet the parents have an outlet for chocolate....I know we do! Easter Bunnies are important.

18. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 18, 2011

Really, from my allergy house to the classroom I just ask the teacher to keep me well informed of what is being planned and to let me know what to send and I will send it. There usually isn't a problem at all. We avoid eggs, milk and wheat.

19. srawolf

srawolf Rookie

Aug 18, 2011

I have made cupcakes using a plain white cake mix and then adding a can of pop (red and orange make great flavors but Sprite works for plain). Then cook as directed. These end up being pretty allergy proof.

You can also do chocolate mix and cherry coke or regular, etc. Pretty much anything you want!

20. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Aug 18, 2011

You have to watch the brand of cake mix though. Some have milk products in them. Yellow cake mixes, for some reason(especially the store brands) don't have that problem.

21. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 18, 2011

I found out today that I have one little boy with a severe peanut allergy (well all nuts really but peanuts are the worst reaction) and I'm sad now... I <3 peanut butter with a passion. It's like.. my favorite thing ever on sandwiches... waffles... crackers... and now I can't have it in my room =( Oh well though, I'd rather do without than hurt a kid and get a lawsuit slapped on me.

Great ideas in this thread though, I'll have to print some off for when I have parents want to bring food to the class.

22. srawolf

srawolf Rookie

Aug 18, 2011

Good point, I'll have to be sure to look next time. I usually go with white cake mix so maybe it's been okay...

23. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 18, 2011

As I said earlier I'm the parent of a child with a peanut allergy. Please, please read the labels of everything you plan on using when cooking/baking for your students!

Peanuts can be found on lables of things you wouldn't suspect. Some foods or items that may contain peanuts: frosting, sprinkles, chocolate, vanilla ice cream, animal crackers, chocolate chips, crackers, granola, those big soft cookies from the bakery.

I've been dealing with this allergy for almost 15 years. I read labels EVERY time I go to the grocery store. There are just some things that I won't buy, in part because I'm tired of looking at the label hoping that it will change.

Just be careful when providing food for a child with an allergy. Do you want to be cleaning up a mess or calling 911?

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2011

All of our schools here are "nut-free". We can't serve any food that doesn't come with a nutrition label, so no home-made "goodies". It's been this way for as long as I can remember--since long before my kids were little--reading labels is just part of my shopping routine.

25. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 18, 2011

My children's school went store made a few years ago.....that seems like it would protect the children. It just made everyone think they could read labels....when they couldn't and several children got sick. As a parent....I am ready to let the pendulum swing the other way.

Not saying that you can't read a label....just grouchy. I just got back from a visit to my school where they will be refusing to even allow the allergy children packaged food now to hold in freezers. I am so tired of this battle. I would love to have a teacher like you who is trying to help the children all get the same treatment! My kids have to sit out all the time......it breaks my heart. Now apparently they will be sitting out EVEN MORE!

I would say in your allergy room then stick to fruits and veggies and skip the dip. Some creative people have even used cookie cutters on fruit! That was really cute. There have been great comments made at "special occasions" when the parent brings in fruit that is out of season, the kids really noticed.

26. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 18, 2011

That's just an awesome idea... cookie cutting fruit! It is so simple yet I have never thought of it before. I usually just cube the fruit up.. so boring!

I think I'm going to send home a letter that due to allergies (even though mine is solely nut) the only food that will be allowed in for special occasions will be fruit. It's the safest thing that doesn't leave "little johnny" sitting over here not able to celebrate with the others. Plus this gives me complete control over what my parents bring in, instead of them just.. carrying in whatever they want.

27. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2011

Fruit is great, but if you have any diabetic students, they could be left out, so you might want a backup plan if that happens.

28. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 19, 2011

I am pretty sure I don't, unless the parent forgot to mention it on their record of illness/allergy that the nurse has... which is possible, but doubtful. Thanks for reminding me of it though, I didn't think of anything but the allergies!