Allergy Classroom Question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by soleil00, Aug 19, 2011.

1. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 19, 2011

For those of you who have had experience with having a child with severe allergies in your classroom, I need your help!

I have a sign posted outside my classroom because I have one student who has a severe nut allergy (to all nuts, not just peanuts) and the nurse requested that I sent home a note to all the parents on Monday as well.

I'm not really sure exactly what to say to the parents, so any ideas on how to write this form letter would be great. As you can tell I'm not real great at articulating what I need to say! I take ten times too long to get to the point ;)

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2011

I have a couple of sample letters that our school board uses--all of our school are nut-free--I'll send them to you if you PM me your email address.

4. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 19, 2011

That would be awesome! Thank you so much.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2011

I would ask your nurse if she has a sample letter. Every year my nurse gives me a letter to send home explaining any severe allergies that I have in my classroom or even on my team (we all each lunch together).

6. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 19, 2011

MrsC had some really awesome ones, but that's a great idea too mopar! I probably should ask the nurse if she has any form letters that I can borrow.

7. theteacherinme

theteacherinme Rookie

Aug 19, 2011

Can you send me those documents as well?:) I posted something about allergies just the other day. I will have 4-5 students with severe nut (peanut and tree nut) allergies.

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2011

I know many schools, including mine, have a table for children to sit at who have severe allerigies so someone is responsible to check other children's food and we are extra vigilant washing the table etc. with cloths that don't touch tables which may have nuts.

Even if you send a letter, some people will still bring nuts, so if they can bring their own lunches it becomes a problem with other kids who spread the nuts by touching tables, toys, etc. Also so many products have hidden products you really have to know what you are doing reading labels.

Enforce the policy as best as you can and have all the kids wash their hands after eating. Can the epi-pen stay in your room rather than the office? Get trained on how to use it. I had a child a couple of years ago who was in the emergency room 3 times at his previous school due to cross contamination issues. It was life threatening so take it seriously.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2011

If you PM me your email address, I can send them.

10. FLeducator

FLeducator Rookie

Aug 20, 2011

Allergy Song

A teacher at my school wrote an allergy song that we play for our kids. You can find it on itunes or cd baby for 99 cents. Just type in The Allergy Song and it should come up (by The Recess Trio). It is a really cute song about not sharing food. It is probably not what you are looking for to share with parents but it is a great message for the kids.

11. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 20, 2011

They won't do the separation here because that would mean they would need another aide to watch one kid at lunch, and that's a "waste of money" and the aide's time supposedly. I laugh at my schools' thinking sometimes.. though I can talk to my lunch aide and ask her to just be vigilant and watch for any visible nut product in lunchboxes. I know there are those hidden nuts and that's the hard part.

The epi-pen, for some weird reason, can only be used by the nurse so it cannot be in my room. Though our school nurse is just one hall away so it's not like she's really far from my room, it's still pretty dumb that for whatever reason I can't have it in my room/be trained in using it. :confused:

I will have a talk with my kids though about washing their hands after eating, but it is kind of difficult since our kids go straight out to recess from the cafeteria and I don't see them until they are already outside.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2011

Our entire staff--office staff and caretakers included--have mandatory training in using an epi-pen every school year. We ask parents to send in two epi-pens at the beginning of the school year. One is kept in the office and the other with the students, either in a fanny pack or in a safe place in the classroom.

13. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 20, 2011

That would be great, but our school won't do it for some reason. This year is our highest group of allergy kids, so I don't understand why they don't have everyone trained.

14. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Aug 20, 2011

My own child is so allergic to tree nuts (which is NOT a peanut allergy, btw) that she had a reaction to the empty can of cashews a (fine arts) teacher had thrown away in her "nut-free" class' trashcan (teacher had eaten them during her break).

So, it is wise to encourage hand-washing. Handling papers that get passed back, or sharing computer keyboards with others who have eaten nuts could be something to watch for. (I think my child's school has the students use a wet wipe before using the computer).

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2011

It's always explained to us that a child can have a reaction anywhere--hallway, playground, in the gym--and if we are all trained and the epi-pen is with the child, help is always right there.

16. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 20, 2011

I may have to bring this up to my P on Monday... I know she'll go for it but it is the higher ups that worry me. They have a tendency to say "shut up, do your job, and don't worry about it" more or less...since this would cost them money to train everyone.

17. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2011

We actually have a clause in both our certified staff and assistant contracts that state that only the school nurse may handle medication except on a field trip. We used to keep epi-pens in our classrooms prior to this addition in the contract.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2011

Policies are in place for a reason. We don't have school nurses, so we do need to do things differently than we would if there was one. As well, Ontario has some pretty unique legislation when it comes to anaphylactic students.

19. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 20, 2011

I believe this may be the case for my district as well. I know we aren't even allowed to keep inhalers in our room for our asthmatic students, the nurse brings it to them at a scheduled time. That's probably why I can't keep or handle epi-pens in my room for my kid.