Allergies

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 7, 2008

My eyes have been burning a little lately and I am sniffling a bit. (Can it be from all the physical activity in setting up at school?) Yet I have been for the last month. What do you guys do to battle allergies in the school setting? This NEEDS to get better... :crosseyed

Aaahh.. by the way, one of my helpers stood on a chair yesterday to prop something on top of my cabinets, and there was NASTY dust galore up there, apparently!

3. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Aug 7, 2008

I have horrible allergies when I am at school. I am fine when I am home (which is across the street) so I know it's not the trees or anything. I have to be very careful what I use in my room and I have to dust constantly! Our janitors don't have time to dust, so it gets so gross. Plus, maintainance only comes every 6 months to change the air filter.. I change it myself now. The one time I was there when they change it I almost died! That thing was SOOOOOOOOOOO nasty! Other than that, I just have to take my allergy meds every day before school..

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 8, 2008

I think I may need to go to the top of the cabinets, but put on a mask! My friend said it's really disgusting up there. She looked quite sickened. I hope there's not a lot of dead bugs up there. Not encouraging at all... but I couldn't imagine going to school and having that up there with the kids in my room. (Yet I'm positive I have for all this time in the other rooms because I've never looked at the top of the cabinets...)

5. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Aug 8, 2008

Do you have blinds or curtains? You might clean those also, esp. if it is that dirty on top of your cabinets.

6. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 8, 2008

I have horrible allergies as well-- so I'm praying my room won't be too dusty or have some kind of material/chemical that makes me start sneezing. It sucks because only benedryl works for me--- but it knocks me out.

Personally for me, I found that when I drink coffee it helps me stop having allergy attacks. Idk why, maybe there's no connection, but perhaps there's a tea, coffee, or another liquid that could help calm your allergies in the classroom.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2008

My HS had a mold problem in the ventilation system (and we did not have windows that opened either) and I had a sinus infection at least once a month for 4 years- not kidding. We even had 2 teachers who were so bad that 1 quit and another had her classes in the Alternative Ed building across the campus! (of course this was our early childhood teacher whom I had at least 1 hour every year).

My school has a lot of dust. But, I can't do the dusting or I will be out at least 2-3 days. I would have my kids do the dusting on Friday afternoons. I second the checking of the blinds! This year should be better- different building, fresh paint and new blinds!! (The new blinds have not come in yet and I have been sniffling for 2 weeks now).

Oh, get a prescription for Nasonex. It works miracles! I only use it when pollen is bad or if my nose starts to feel stuffy. I am severely allergic to pollen, mold and dust. I couldn't live with out it!

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 8, 2008

Dust and mold are very likely in any classroom. I cleaned off the tops of bookshelves in June and will do it again before kids arrive. It gets so nasty.

I use the generic version of Zyrtec - at Walgreen's. It works as well as the prescription. I'm allergic to my cat.

9. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 9, 2008

Allergy queen here! There was another thread about mildew/mold but when I moved my file cabinet and poster boxes at the end of the year the wall was covered with M&M. The AC closet from the adjoining room had standing water and it had absorded thru the drywall. Now I know why I ended up on breathing treatments.

If you don't go to an allergist play with over the counter. I use Publix brand (little pink pill) besides my prescription. If you need decongestion I recommend Zyrtec

I invested in a handheld shop vac. I got it at Lowe's. This way I can at least keep my class dust free. I thas many attachments to do behind the computer etc.

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2008

There was a good layer of dust on top of those cranberry-colored cabinets/cubbies! I took the Swiffer duster and got it off. Then I got rid of the duster as fast as I could. At least there were no bugs, though. Maybe that's why my friend's son sniffles and hacks when he goes to school.

11. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2008

I have had such allergy problems in the different school buildings I have been in and now in my home since the flooding, I am just going to get allergy testing done. I am tired of guessing what I am allergic too and just want to know. I have perscriptions for three different kinds of allergy meds and that still isn't doing the job.....

Of course with my luck I will find out I am allergic to wheat and oats like my daughter......and I love warm rolls, ohh and covered in butter yummmmmm

If nothing else, go get allergy testing, then you can get doctors notes like mine requireing me to have a white board not chalk board

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2008

Even when I filmed in my classroom yesterday, I was extremely congested. Something was aggravating me, even though I had dusted off the top of the shelves. I guess I will go to the blinds next...