Allergies

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by gigi, Jun 20, 2005.

1. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jun 20, 2005

Anyone else suffering from allergies? I have always had allergy problems, take prescription meds, but this year has been the worst! Our cars and decks etc., are covered with yellow pollen. I have been suffering for the past two weeks. Am getting better, but still blowing my nose like crazy and stuffed up.

3. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jun 20, 2005

I have had allergies for several years. I get shots once a month to keep them under control and that helps 200%. I also use a nasal spray daily. I used to suffer horribly due to my allergies but am so much better now.

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 20, 2005

This year was the worst. My students were not feeling well. My mom who never had allergies had them this year and had to go on a perscription to help her feel better. It has been okay here for awhile now but about a month ago our cars were all yellow it was digusting!

5. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jun 21, 2005

I have always had allergies but this yellow pollen has really made me sick.
    So hard when I have started my summer work at a summer camp! You know those buidlings, no insulation, people in and out of the office constantly. We had a lot of rain last week and I was hoping it would get rid of it, but no luck.

6. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2005

I just started having allergies at age 40! I might have even had sinusitis, based on a questionnaire I saw at the doctors' office.
    I have no idea what brought it on, so I can't tell what to be o the look out for. I'm betting it had to do with some items I got from my sister. They smoke in the house, they have pets, and they are not religious about cleaning up after them.

7. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Jun 21, 2005

I got allergies after I had my son...
    last year I had to go on a prescription
    this year they kept me sick for several days...

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2005

I thought I had a migraine last week- it was sinus/allergies/ new weather system pressure moving in......Thought my head was going to crack open!! :( :eek:

9. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Jun 23, 2005

Mine started about a week ago, woke up with a stuffy head, thought I was getting a cold, then my eyes began to water & were itchy all day. Yep. Suppose to be fun this year when you add in all the rain. Apparently things that haven't bloomed in like eons are sprouting again. Great. :tired:

10. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jun 24, 2005

After two weeks and being on meds I am finally seeing the light at the end of this allergy nightmare. I would love to get out and work in the yard, but with the way I am feeling no way!

11. KIF

KIF Companion

Jun 24, 2005

I've suffered from allergies all of my life. I used to live in what my doctor called the worst place for people with allergies. Keep in mind that there are tablets, tablets with decongestants, nose spray, and eye drops. You may need a combo of weapons---ask your doctor! I'm on an entire system.

12. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Jun 24, 2005

My allergies & asthma faded a bit in my twenties, then after that baby boy both became worse! I'm so leary of meds because as a kid & teen I was either jumping out of my skin or asleep on them, so I stoped all together. My Dr. recomended Claritan (sp?) & said it wouldn't be like that. Has anyone had good results with this one?

13. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jun 24, 2005

I used to take ClaritinD when I was first diagnosed with allergies and started my allergy shots. The ClaritinD really worked well for me. It dried me up without being drowsy or any other side effects. Eventually I was able to stop taking it. I know they now have OTC Claritin but don't know the effectiveness of this one. The one I took was prescription.

14. KIF

KIF Companion

Jun 24, 2005

The OTC Clairitin I've found to work really well. I cycle through different ones. A few weeks at a time on different classes of antihistimines. Zyrtec, Allegra, Claritin...most of a "D" formula as well. Flonase (a nose spray) works great for most symptoms as well.

15. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Jun 26, 2005

Thanks for the input! I think I need to do something soon, my asthma gets worse when my allergies kick in. I think I'll try it over a few days when I'm not busy so I can make sure I don't have any bad reactions.

16. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jun 26, 2005

I used to take Allerga D and it worked wonders. Then hubby's company changed insurance companies and they won't pay for it until I try otc meds. Needless to say they aren't working. Going to order my allergra D on the web and get back to normal. It has been two weeks of misery. Just starting to feel better. Am taking Clartin D and Sudefed at the same time! OY!

17. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Jun 28, 2005

Claritin D works for me pretty well
    Allegra D is my drug of choise ;) But just like gigi my insurance no longer covers it UGH, so I've gone to Claritin D

18. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 28, 2005

Everyone here is sick. Mine started with a soar throat that didn't last long, but it went to my ear. I haven't had ear problems in years. I spent almost 2 weeks hearing out of just one ear. Tonight it finally opened up some. I can't take any of the allergy medicine, even Tylenol Allergy makes me drowsy. Claritin makes me horribly ill. The whole room spins.

19. latybug

latybug Rookie

Jul 2, 2005

I live in Oklahoma. The capital of allergies for the US. I am on Zyrtex, Nastelnex, some kind of eye drops, a decongestant and shots once a week. I used to spend my week-ends in bed and use up all of my sick days at school. Since I started my shots, about 2 years ago, life has gotten so much better. I can finally lead a normal life!!!! Allergy season for me is from March until December. The Zyrtex cost me $100 every three months but it is worth it. Take my advice and take care of things now. The longer you wait the worse things get. My students love when I have recess duty because I have to also take Benedril and it give me lots of energy.

20. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2005

Yesterday I was waiting for Jeannie's gym class to get done, sitting beside a soda machine. The longer I sat there the scratchier my throat got, and I noticed this machine was steady running the whole time I sat there. I woke up today and my sinuses were a mess, I felt spacey and I knew something about that musty soda machine set me off.
    Thankfully it all subsided as the day went on.