All the new jobs in my disctrict...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pete2770, Jun 16, 2011.

1. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Jun 16, 2011

Are part time.

All right, there is actually one full-time position, but I can guarantee that's only because it's highly specialized and no one will move to a rural location to do it unless it's full-time.

So four full time teachers retire, and their jobs come back as .50 FTE (.62 for the lucky ducks that get prep time).

I hope this trend doesn't continue when I'm looking for a job next year. There's no way I could live on half a first year teacher's salary.

Is this a common trend? I don't know how they're working this out...but how can you have two .50 gen ed teachers? What, one teacher teaches in the morning and the other in the afternoon to reduce costs to the district?

The only other thing I can think of is that they have candidates in mind, and by splitting jobs can reduce applicants and allow these individuals to take both and become 1.0FTE. Rural schools will be rural, gotta' love the ol' boys' club.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2011

I know of teachers in California who've shared elementary jobs, in fact. In many cases the district ends up getting somewhat more than an FTE worth of work, typically, and I don't recall whether the benefits or prorated or nonexistent. But it can be a decent deal for a parent of very small children who needs to keep some income but has health care covered through a spouse.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2011

It makes a lot of economic sense. They don't have to provide benefits to part time workers.

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 16, 2011

I am doing a half time grade two this year. It really has nothing to do with benefits in my case, as I still get benefits as a contracted teacher.

In my situation, I am technically replacing a teacher who is out on maternity leave this year. (We have full year mat leaves in Canada). She works half time as a Resource Teacher. However, the Vice Principal chose to take that position this year, rather than what she had been doing (teaching .6, admin .4). That left me with the grade two, but it was only half time, because that's what the previous Resource teachers FTE was.

They definitely did get more than .5 FTE from me... until I took another .5 FTE to match up with it in January.

6. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 16, 2011

I was half-time for one year and I got benefits. I worked mornings and the other teacher worked afternoons. It didn't work out very well. My P hates part time and tried to talk the only half-time teacher left into working full time. So not a trend in Canyons School District in Utah:)

7. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 16, 2011

In my general area, most half time teachers do not get benefits.

8. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 16, 2011

Luc..do they belong to a union or association? My dues were half of what they are at full time. I'm only familiar with Utah, but part-time has benefits. In fact, they are cutting our fulltime and half-time para's, hallmonitors, etc to hourly ( no more contract's for classified workers and our 24 hr classified have to work 17 hours next year) so as not to pay benefits.

9. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2011

Our part time teachers get full benefits, the same as any full time teacher. It doesn't really make sense to me to have two teachers share one class though, unless the district is not paying them benefits, so that may be the case in your area Pete. Even so, I doubt that will save the district that much money, and it seems it would cause the kids/staff so much added stress. I know there are some young mothers and people like that who would enjoy a part time job, but it's not like there aren't hundreds of candidates interested in full time positions. I've noticed in my district that pretty much any specials teacher is part time. My friend is looking for a PE job anywhere within a 2 hour radius of here and she has not found any that are full time. All of our regular teacher positions are full time though.

10. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 16, 2011

@pete..do they pay benefits to half-time?

11. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Jun 16, 2011

Hmm, well, I hope the jobs available when I'm ready to apply are full time. Otherwise it's off to the suburban life for me. :(

I have to check in on the benefits thing. I think they do, but I'm pretty sure it's prorated.

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 16, 2011

I haven't heard NJ schools doing that--- all seem to be full-time. The only time they're gone half is if its in the high school or middle school and the teacher only needs to teach 1 or 2 courses (so they don't need to be there all day) or for an assistant position.

13. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jun 16, 2011

I've seen quite a few .50, .60, even .20 lately.

14. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2011

I've seen .2 lately too.....that would be 1 period...seems pretty ridiculous, unless they are going to hire them as a .8 TA.

15. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 16, 2011

.2? Wow! Would it even pay to get dressed and drive to work?

16. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2011

In our area it isn't really about benefits - it is about part time not being tenure track so they get to keep you on pins and needles year after year after year.

But....it can be about benefits, too. My job was reduced 2 years ago and they gave me back some of those hours this year - minus 1 hour for the entire year so that I don't get the benefits back.

17. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2011

Ours does this too, you get benefits, but no job security.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2011

I've known a few people in the past who did job-sharing. Usually (I actually think it was 100% of the people I knew) it was new moms who wanted to stay at home more with their kid(s). It seemed to work out for everyone involved.

In the world of Latin teaching, I've seen part-time positions advertised everywhere for years--everything from .2 to .8 and everything in between. I myself was offered a .2 teaching job at a private school in town but turned it down because it was one period per day, right in the middle of the day, and so I wouldn't have been able to hold another, full-time position at the same time.

19. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 16, 2011

Job security is an issue. Where I work there really is no tenure. So it's up to the P at the end of the year. One thing I can say about the corporate world (at least for the 20 something years I worked there) I never worried about job security. Never. That was nice, but I love teaching as I know everyone here does. Students need us...sometimes I just feel like saying "please get out of the way and let me teach!" I hope full time teaching never goes away!!!!

20. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jun 17, 2011

.2? Does the coffee have time to perk for that? Wow!

21. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Jun 17, 2011

I was part-time 2nd grade this year. I work at a private school. I taught Religion, Math, Reading/LA. My second graders would then go another teacher for a combined class for Science, SS, and Specials. It was very challenging, mostly because of the time crunch. There is no flexibility in scheduling time with the students. If I didn't get through everything I wanted to in Math, I had to go on to Reading because I didn't get any more time with them the rest of the day.

I did not receive any benefits, but I did make more than half of what the full-time teachers make.

The main reason I took the job was because I felt like a part-time teaching job was better than no teaching job. I knew if I did a good job I would probably be asked to be full-time and that is what happened. I'm actually looping with the same group as their full-time third grade teacher next year.

22. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Jun 18, 2011

I'm a .5 right now and get benefits, so unless they don't have to offer benefits I'm not sure why it would make sense for them.

23. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jun 18, 2011

At least your county has open positions. All the positions "open" at this point where I live are taken by the 1st and 2nd year teachers they fired (wholesale so they didn't have to follow RIF procedures) at the end of this school year.

Its frustrating hearing "love your resume, love your experience, but I don't have a position open at the moment."

24. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Jun 18, 2011

Sorry to hear that Irissa.

I've heard it's a tough climate in Florida for finding work.

How about rural schools around you, or are you pretty much locked into your current location (mortgage, significant others' job, etc.)?

25. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jun 18, 2011

Yah were stuck here.
    I'll sub again next year if I have to. Took a long term 3 weeks into school this year but unfortunately the school I was at lost 4 positions so no carry over into this year.
    It sucks because had I gotten the job 3 weeks earlier I'd have been a full time teacher and up for my continuing contract (due to previous county experience) at the end of this year as opposed to looking again.