All she does is talk...

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by JamTeach, Aug 26, 2008.

1. JamTeach

JamTeach Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

I have a student who from day one has done nothing but talk, talk, talk. It doesn't matter where I sit her, who she sits by, or if she sits alone. She is always talking. I have sent her to another classroom and she starts talking to the students in there. I spoke with the teacher she had for kindergarten and she said she was that exact same way last year and that she didn't give her any warnings or anything. She talked she was out of the room. I don't really want to do that, because one she misses whats going on in our class and two she is starting to distract the other classes.

I have thought about giving her a special talking journal and when she wants to say something she needs to write it down in her journal. She is very bright and would be able to do this. However, I don't want the journal to become a distraction for her and then she will still end up missing what we are doing in class.

Any ideas??

:thanks:

3. Hazel QT

Hazel QT Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

Have you ever tried to sit and ask her why she talks so much? A lot of students find talking and being a distraction to others as a way of not being bored, especially very bright students. However, there is no excuse for her behavior. Maybe you should try talking to her parents and telling them exactly whats going on so they can try to fix the problem. Considering discipline does start at home you need to talk to her parents. But, if all else fails, just send her out. Once she starts missing work and her grades begin to fall she may realize that she needs to straighten up before she repeats that grade level. Sometimes it takes some failure to become successful.

4. JamTeach

JamTeach Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

The parents are not an option for support. I sent notes home every day for the past 2 weeks and mom threw them away in front of me without reading them. The K teacher also said that going through the parents or asking them for support was probably not an option.

5. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2008

Going through the parents would be a silly option in any case. If there's a behavior you want to change that occurs in school, the best way to do it is to change the contingencies in school. The inverse would be parents asking teachers to make sure their child does their homework (or, even more outlandishly, their chores). Imagine how you'd react to such a request.

Does she realize herself that she's talking excessively, and that it's a problem? What if you made a rule for her that if she talks she has to make a mark on a piece of paper first, keeping a count? This might call her own attention to the fact she's doing it. I'd almost want to suggest a gag -- not a binding one, something she could easily pull away from her face to talk, but one that would make her concious that she's talking. Maybe one of those medical masks.

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2008

She will eventually run out of things to say. Maybe a little sooner than most.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 27, 2008

Could it be an excess motor issue? Sometimes that's how it manifests itself in girls. Could it be a self-control boundary issue? Maybe looking at what it could be might be the key. I like the journal idea though. Try it.

8. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 28, 2008

this may seem like a silly questions, but have you tried removing privileges (recess, fun arts & craft activities, etc.) for this? i used to handle my talkers in the same manner as those who got out of their seat constantly, spoke w/o raising their hand, & didn't follow directions. the first time they mis-behaved/spoke out, they got a warning. after that, their initials were up on the board (5 min. lost recess). if the behavior continued, another warning. after that, they received a check mark (10 min. lost recess). & so on & so forth. this may seem a little harsh - i taught in the inner city - but perhaps it will work for her.

you could also put her name on the board & add a tally mark each time she speaks w/o permission. i would turn this into a game & encourage her to get less than 5 marks/day (or however many you feel is appropriate) for a small reward. you can then gradually reduce this #. if she gets more than 5 marks, take a minute off recess for each tally. for example, 10 tallies = 5 min. lost recess (first 5 marks are freebies).

good luck to you - first graders just LOVE to talk!! :)

Meri