All I Want is Closure!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sks72, Jun 27, 2012.

1. sks72

sks72 Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

Hi All,

*Warning: This is kind of a lot to read.*

I am so confused about a school district I interviewed with...all the way back in the first week of May!

The school had 3 rounds of interviews: phone, then panel, then teaching a lesson. They skipped over the phone interview for me, and brought me in right away for a panel interview. I followed up with an email to the assistant principal, who led the interview 2 weeks after the fact. She said they were "still in the midst of interviewing," and didn't give me a time at which I should expect to hear either a yay or a nay from them. I still haven't been asked to teach a lesson.

So, 2 weeks ago, my good friend who did have to do a phone interview the same week I had my panel interview, got a rejection letter in the regular mail saying they do not need her to proceed onto step 2 (panel interview).

Now, it's June 27th, and I haven't even gotten a rejection letter. I have absolutely no clue if I'm still in the running, or if I was on the super special "forget about you list." They've also been updating their website regularly, with positions appearing and disappearing!

Should I just assume I have no chance? White flag? Should I follow up? I am such an impatient person, but I know I also need to mind my manners and not look desperate.

It's just hard for me, since this is pretty much my dream school.

The only thing I can say is I am very proactive and have been applying to and interviewing with other schools, so I'm not putting all of my eggs in one basket.

It feels like when you go on a date with someone and YOU think it went awesomely, and you just sit there...waiting for the phone call that never comes...

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2012

It sounds like you are following the interview protocol that everyone suggests and now you just have to play the waiting game. It's very difficult and most people here suggest you do something fun to take your mind off things.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that notification you want comes really soon!

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2012

So, approximately what was the date of your last communication with the principal? I believe another email would be in order and not at all pushy.

5. sks72

sks72 Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

It was on May 17th. A quick, breezy email.

Any suggestion about how to word a second follow-up?

I want them to know I'm interested, but I don't want to annoy them.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 27, 2012

I would take this as you are still being considered, but haven't secured a spot.

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2012

Same thinking here!

8. Ross

Ross Comrade

Jun 27, 2012

I think it is inconsiderate to have job applicants sitting by the phone for weeks or stalking the mailman for notification about a job offer.

Have these people forgotten the stress that they endured waiting to hear if they had employment?

When I was conducting interviews, all applicants were given a date in which they could expect notification.

9. sks72

sks72 Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

There needs to be more interviewers like you!

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2012

Have new positions appeared for the school you interviewed with?

11. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 28, 2012

The answer to that is a big, resounding yes. As callous as it sounds to say, principals are almost always more concerned with what's going to work for their school than they are with the emotions of potential job candidates.

12. sks72

sks72 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012

Yes, 1 new position has appeared for that particular school, as well several paraprofessional positions.

13. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 28, 2012

I would just call at this point. It has been over a month so something has been decided or at least I would think so. Keep us posted!

14. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2012

You may email or call the principal and mention your previous interview and then express interest in the new position posted.

15. sks72

sks72 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012

Thanks for your thoughts, so far. I took your advice and my college Career Center's advice, and I just shot the principal an email. Next week it will be literally 2 months ago that I interviewed with them and never heard back. It's so frustrating.

I'll let you know what she says!

16. sks72

sks72 Rookie

Jul 6, 2012

So, as mentioned above, I emailed the principal last Thursday. Well, it's been 8 days and no answer. No rejection letter, either.

NO CLUE.

They're sending their "Don't call us, we'll call you" message loud and clear.

17. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 6, 2012

Bah. Hopefully someone else will call with an interview!

18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 6, 2012

They could be on vacation.

19. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2012

Move on from this job. Hopefully you'll get another call for an interview with a different school soon.

It's hard, but it's part of the process.

20. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Jul 7, 2012

If it's been this long since you've heard back from them, I would just move on. I don't know of any interview processes that take this long, even when there are 3 rounds of interviews.

21. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Jul 7, 2012

I agree that it's time to move on. I've been on interviews where I never heard back one way or the other, so I know how hard it is. However, I'm a firm believer that when something doesn't work out it's because something better will be coming along.

22. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2012

Exactly!

23. txagteach

txagteach Rookie

Jul 10, 2012

Yes, I second (or third or whatever) that you should keep moving and know that if it doesn't work out, it's because something else is on the horizon.

I was in a similar situation when I interviewed for a position back in EARLY APRIL. I didn't hear back from them until mid-June. It was agonizing to wait and unfortunately, I didn't get the job, but something else came along and I was offered that position the day after I got the "thanks, but no thanks" email.

On the other hand, I think no reply might actually be pretty good--it could mean they haven't ruled you out yet, but can't really say that in fear of leading you on. If you weren't being considered, you gave the principal an "out" with your last email.

Hang in there!