All High School Teachers

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by trulyblssd, Jul 18, 2006.

1. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 18, 2006

This is for High School teachers. Nothing against all other grades, but I have noticed that there is a lot of info for elementary and I would like to pick the brain of High School teachers, new or not. So please post ideas, concerns, problems here so that we can discuss.

3. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 18, 2006

I will start...I'm interested as to how I should start the first day of school for High School English. I will have 4 soph. classes and 2 junior classes. Any advice?

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2006

I've taught middle school for a long time now, but I started out in high school English. On the first day we pretty much had our agenda lined up for us by administration.

After that, I always began with a "do now" activity. Sometimes they were things to read, sometimes they were journals, sometimes they were simply grammar exercises or a current event question. Some of my classes, usually upper-level seniors, had discussion questions. They somehow tied to whatever we were doing that day in class. It gave them a "settle down" activity while I took attendance and all the other "have to do" things right at the beginning of class. They typically took 5-15 minutes.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2006

I do my 15 minute spiel about rules and supplies and such. (I talk fast, even for a New Yorker, and by Junior or Senior year they pretty much know the rules anyway.)

Then... gasp... I ask them to take out some paper and I teach! I find something they didn't already know, but something manageable and cover it in those last 15 minutes. (I'm math, so sometimes it's the formulas for factoring sum and difference of cubes, or something else relatively easy.) Then...double gasp.... I assign homework on it. It also shows up on a quiz 2 days later.

Summer's over, kiddies, and this teacher means business.

6. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 18, 2006

That's great! I thought I would be too harsh if I assigned homework on the first day, but reality is this is HS and soon they will go to college.

7. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 18, 2006

While working on my degree my husband would always give me a pondering look when I came home first day of school with homework. I always told him that math is like no other subject. Quick review of syllabus, things you should already know but the school requires you be told every class, and then lecture.

I always wondered why math seemed to be the only subject like this except for the fact there is so much to cover and not enough time!

So extend the trend right on into english! :D

8. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 19, 2006

Homework, homework, homework. I guess that a good way to let the students know that I mean business too!