All everyone wants to do is drink!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by linswin23, Apr 25, 2015.

1. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Apr 25, 2015

I work with a lot of people in my age range (25-35). It seems like all they want to do is drink!

I like to have a glass of wine at night or a few beers on the weekend, but DANG. I can't drink like my colleagues do. They like to marathon drink. Drink until they are hungover the next day. I honestly don't know how they do it. Also, many of them pressure you into having an extra drink or taking another shot when CLEARLY, it's time for EVERYONE to go home.

Sometimes I get the feeling when my husband and I turn down plans to drink we are looked down upon...

Ugh.

Luckily, I'm starting to make friends with locals outside of my work who are content with just grabbing dinner or coming over and hanging out.

Rant over. :blush:

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 25, 2015

I don't blame you. Unwinding with a glass (or 2) of wine on a Friday night at home is more my style than binge drinking in public. That's not very classy. Now, I do have a friend who said we should go to this one place for their special martinis. I said ok but I will brobably only have one. She agreed 1 was plenty. in that case I'll definitely go!

4. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Apr 25, 2015

just curious, are you talking about other american teachers who teach together with you? also, what age group do you, guys, teach?

5. Starista

Starista Cohort

Apr 25, 2015

Different stroked, different folks. I'm with you (at age 36). But in my younger days I went to happy hour weekly and drank the 2 for 1s with the best of them.

Don't waste time worrying about if they're looking down on you. I'm preaching that advice to myself, too, btw. I'm pretty antisocial at my school now. I saw on pinter st, and it may be cliche but it read: "don't let part time people take up a full time position in your mind."

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 25, 2015

I'm no longer in my 20s, but I never drank in my life & don't plan to ever start. However, I did literally try a sip of my Dad's beer once when I was much younger & didn't like it anyway. That's one of many things my BF & I both have in common. (We don't smoke either.) I just never wanted to. Neither of us has friends we hang out w/ on a regular basis who drink (or if they do, it's on their own time), so there's no pressure on us to ever drink.

But yes, it does seem like everyone drinks. I don't think one needs to to have a good time. It's said it loosens you up. Well I don't need that & if my true personality isn't good enough, oh well. Why must people need this substance (alcohol, etc.) to be more fun to be around, to get them through a hard day/week, etc.?

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 25, 2015

I have learned, over the years, how to get a serious-looking drink (usually a double bourbon on the rocks) and drink it very slowly. If I nursed a drink any better, I could qualify for my RN license. That seems to be the best way for me to enjoy a drink or two while my friends have a drink or five.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 25, 2015

I'll have the occasional wild night of drinking, but mostly a glass or two of wine with dinner for a special occasion. We did get daiquiris to celebrate our snow days we had this year, since we suspected we'd be at home at least two days (in the end it was three.) Obviously I never drink if I'm driving.

My hubby and I are part of a big board gaming group. We could game probably five nights out of the week if we wanted to. Sometimes those game nights have alcohol, but it is never pushed, and many times there is none around. It's a good, clean hobby to get into.

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 25, 2015

I wish I could work in a place with bunch of other young, fun people! I've worked in 3 different schools but have always been either the only one or one of the only people in my 20's. I have some "work friends" that I eat lunch with every day, but they're all 20 years older than me and are mostly only interested in kid-related things. By the time I'm 45-50, they'll all be retired and I'll be the only one that's older! Luckily, I live in big city now and have plenty of friends outside of work. My first job was really rough when it was a tiny town and work was the only place to make friends. Funnily enough, I do drink a lot most weekends but I almost never drink at work happy hours because I don't drink and drive. I figure if I'm not going to drink enough to get any kind of buzz (because I'm driving), I'd rather save the calories and order a diet coke. On the weekends, I take the light rail when I go out.

10. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Apr 25, 2015

I can't drink alcohol due to my religious dietary law. I fortunately live in an area where my religion is the dominant one, so most of my associates have the same dietary law, however I'll pass on what was told to me which I didn't believe until I got well into my twenties.
    If a person doesn't respect your decision about alcohol, that person isn't your friend, get a new friend who will respect your decision.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 25, 2015

kellzy, :thumb:

12. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Apr 26, 2015

We teach elementary to high school. The teachers I am referring to are American, Canadian, European, etc.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2015

this is what my colleagues do a few times per month....we are so busy in school we hardly see each other long enough to have a conversation. We meet at a local place, raise a glass or two, maybe have a snack and just 'download' from the week. No pressure on those who don't imbibe.

14. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Apr 26, 2015

Just chalk it up to different tastes for different people and decline invitations. No need for judgment from them or from you or anyone else about their drinking habits. No one's doing anything wrong. I don't enjoy playing kickball, even though many of my colleagues do; I just don't go to kickball games with them. No big deal.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2015

:2up::clap: bravo!

16. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2015

I grew up with alcoholics. Mom and grandmother and a best friend. So I learned that moderation is the answer. 60 Minutes had an episode about 90 year olds and one of the answers was people that have one or two a day live longer than those that do not. So I have a couple on weekends. In fact a parent just gave me an interesting thing. A glass rifle *(carbine) filled with tequilla, It was for tutoring.

http://sr1.wine-searcher.net/images/labels/61/20/10346120.jpg

17. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Apr 26, 2015

Wow! What a gift!

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Sometimes I like to get crazy and have one too many, but this is an EVERY weekend thing with some of my colleagues. I did my fair share of partying in college, and got it out of my system. For personal and medical reasons I don't marathon drink anymore, as well. I really like most of my colleagues, and we are all really close because we live abroad in a small town. We are each other's support system, and a lot of us live in the same building, so we are REALLY close. However, it seems like everything social that's organized turns into a drinking fest. Almost every weekend.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 26, 2015

Anyone who actually has the nerve to look down upon you, make you feel guilty, pressure you, make you feel like you're not "one of the guys", etc. just because you don't drink aren't good friends at all & I'd completely stop hanging out w/ them. Who do they think they are? Who needs them!

19. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Apr 27, 2015

I agree. But...unfortunately, that's the vibe I get from some people. They most likely think we think we are too good to hang out with them. That's not the case. I just don't want to waste my weekend and evenings with people who aren't true friends, or with people who pressure me to drink more than what I WANT to. Ugh, I thought college was OVER.

20. Starista

Starista Cohort

Apr 27, 2015

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

21. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Apr 27, 2015

My experience is there is less drinking in this profession. As a teacher I cannot slip into the office at whatever time after an all night drinking binge. I also cannot hide behind my desk nursing a hangover.
    In my previous career, it was like Mad Men. Liquid lunch with grease for 1.5 hours was weekly. Week nights would include one 3am night that started with a sporting event or open mic at a bar. Weekends- boating, softball, pool, darts - all extreme "drinking sports".
    Teaching taught me to be on time, be sober, and I lost 20 lbs almost immediately.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 27, 2015

I see, they're those types, the ones who think YOU guys are 'holier than thou' because you don't drink, so you automatically think you're better than them. Yeah well too bad. There's much more to life than drinking. That's their reverse psychology to separate you from them, but to make you feel bad. Still, who needs them!

23. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Apr 27, 2015

linswin, I think you should stick with those people who are not part of this extreme drinking group and hang out more with them

24. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 27, 2015

Me and my boyfriend are both in our twenties, but we feel like old people. Some of our friends are hard partiers, but we more like to sit at home maybe with a single beer and a good show on Netflix.

I have enjoyed visiting beercafes around here for one or two fancy beers in a fancy setting, but I don't like to binge drink, and hard liquor is not my thing at all.

25. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2015

I don't drink, although I had a few mixed drinks "back in the day". I've had colleagues who are amazed that I went through college and never got drunk.

26. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Apr 29, 2015

THIS! Peregrin, this is exactly my husband and I.

I am making it a point to 1. Not let these people bother me. 2. Start doing more things with people who are truly my friends and DON'T care what I do.

27. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Apr 29, 2015

Wow! What was your previous career?