All county school closed ...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Michelle, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Michelle

Michelle Rookie

Nov 8, 2019

This morning a huge water main broke that lead to a majority county wide boil water alert in my school district which lead to all schools being closed today.
    What’s the most bizarre reason your schools have been closed for ?
    Happy 4 day weekend to me ( closed Monday for Veterans Day )

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 8, 2019

When my charter school changed from subletting space to leasing directly, the gas bill wasn't changed over to our responsibility. It went unpaid and the heat was turned off. This was in the first week of November a few years ago. We took a calamity day for the students but the faculty huddled around space heaters to have a meeting. We were all out the next two days, thanks to a burst pipe on top of the cold.

Tired Teacher and Michelle like this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 8, 2019

Our school was closed one time because skunks got in an open door one evening, custodians closed the door without knowing they were in there...skunks got spooked when they couldn't get out...and the rest was history.

Tired Teacher and Michelle like this.
  5. Michelle

Michelle Rookie

Nov 8, 2019

Oh my lol :eek:

Tired Teacher likes this.
  6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 8, 2019

I would have to say Hurricane Katrina, and we are so far west in NJ that we are practically in PA. No power for 10 days at my house, 8 days, I think, at the school, then another day when the water system went on the fritz. Trees down everywhere, people trying to get down to the shore to check on vacation homes, and the road I live on was totally impassable for 3 days due to live wires down. That was almost enough to make me give up NJ as a place to live, but every area has something wrong. Growing up, it was tornadoes in the midwest, while relatives north of us had feet of snow regularly. I think that for those people, snow days must get old.

7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 8, 2019

A volcano erupted and started raining down ash. I used to be such a moron when it came to coming in super early to work. So I did not know until the P told me. Once I was there, I couldn't leave because the ash will ruin your engine. So the P told me to stay by the door and not let anyone drop their kids off.
    A parent of the year argued with me when I told her she could not let her kids out. She had 4 of her own and 3 others with her. She told the kids to get out of the car, they did, and I had to spend the day babysitting while most people relaxed at home.

8. rpan

rpan Cohort

Nov 9, 2019

Our entire city had lost power for more than 12 hours and all the schools and offices and everything closed because the AC would have been out. It was a very hot and humid time of the year. But no one in the city enjoyed the unexpected day off because there was no wifi no lights no AC no appliances no traffic lights no nothing. Many people spent the day at the airports or hospitals, where they have generator power.
    We also had a day off for a cyclone. The cyclone itself was not too horrible but it knocked down so many trees and power lines around the city so no one could get to work even if they wanted to. So again, most of the city had the day off work.

9. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 9, 2019

Has anyone ever heard of a gag (prank store item) called a "fart marker?" It is possible they are not sold in the US. 1x a kid in my class got 1. He "let it go" in the hall right before coming to class. When I smelled it, it about knocked me over.
    I thought the kid closest to me had a major accident in his pants. He was looking at me strangely too. ( It never dawned on me until later what he must have been thinking!)
    I headed for the door to get some air and heard 2 teachers reaming kids out about asking to be excused if they needed to do that! ( old days when teachers could do that!)
    We all ended up having to leave the school for the rest of the afternoon because of the smell.
    They've used my room as a hurricane shelter before and the later time I had the volcano problem. I have never heard of 1 or seen one since that time. The kid who did it was basically a nice kid and he just thought it'd be funny, but man that thing was strong!