All classes identical

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by REW, Sep 25, 2021.

1. REW

REW Rookie

Sep 25, 2021

I am struggling with this concept that all classes must be identical. I don’t have an issue with that concept, but I’m struggling with being heard by the team.

I am the new member on a well established team. The team lead is very set in her ways and doesn’t like change. Everything has to be identical. I am an experienced teacher and have my own experiences and systems that work for me - that are the polar opposite of hers. She has trained the other two members. We have different philosophies on education.

I don’t know what to do. Team meetings are spent essentially talking at me, scolding me for doing things that aren’t the “teams way.” Tests must be whole class (even though small group is best practice). Homework must follow abc procedure (even though I’ve already set up a different system). Parents must sign off on homework or we have to have a conference. Homework isn’t even developmental (but required for our curriculum so I do it….I’m not making them sign off or have a conference). I could go on…..majority of the time it is something trivial. I’m pretty sure how I manage portfolios will be the equivalent of fight words. But it works for me. The expectation is that she says jump and you say how high.

Now the extreme part, I am clearly hated by the team. I’m ok with that I think. However, anyone who associates with me is also facing her wrath. She already told a few people that she was going to make me pay for speaking up against something. I wasn’t rude, but no matter what I’d be rude. I’ve been told that people have to go through the “initiation” with her, that she’s made them cry, that they considered leaving the school or profession. I’ve worked in this field for long enough, an initiation is bull! It really bothers me to the core that I can’t even do anything without being perceived as a threat.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2021

When you are the new person, you need to remember that there are quite a few things that you do not know about what came before you got there.

For example, years ago we spent an entire week designing a curriculum to fit very specific parameters set forth by state and local requirements. It was a HUGE amount of work. No, it wasn't what everyone was happy with, but it is what we had to do. Imagine after all of that work someone arrives that did NONE of the work and knows NONE of the requirements, yet tries to make changes. One year I heard "I think we should" so many times my head was about to explode. I also thought there were some things we should do differently, but that doesn't mean it is the way we get to do things.

I am not a crafty type of person. I'm very Type A and crafts make my eye twitch. However, I have to suck it up and do it often.

Pick your battles.

As far as the "make you pay" comment, that's completely uncalled for. I'm mostly passive aggressive with people like that, but I have had to be very blunt a few times, too. "I'm not allowing you to continue talking to me like that" stopped a department bully in his tracks. Apparently nobody ever stood up to him, so he ran the show.

Activities and curriculum choices are not the hill I'm going to die on, but I will confront someone for being a d!ck. Just know the difference between the two.

a2z likes this.
  4. REW

REW Rookie

Sep 27, 2021

Ima Teacher- thank you. I am letting things go with the curriculum side of things. I wouldn’t set it up that way, but I clearly don’t know the curriculum the way they do. I am just letting that go.

it irks me when things come to classroom management, student discipline/management of behaviors, and how I set up systems of organization in my room. Then, the passive aggressive. Or straight aggressive. Anytime I say something she flips it that I am being unstable, twisting her words, and more. It’s retaliation. It kills me not to be able to talk openly and share ideas - collaborate. For example, centers and small groups that are not always in the curriculum. I miss that from my previous school. Talking about misconceptions and supporting our learners. I miss it.