All animals banned in classrooms

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherman1, Sep 1, 2009.

1. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Sep 1, 2009

Hello everyone,

I have a dilemma. Our school system has banned ALL animals in the classroom.

I have always had a variety of classroom "pets" and know how much the kids benefit by having them - especially in an inner cty school.

Although an increase in asthma and allergies is supposedly the reason for the ban, the administration won't even allow fish, reptiles, amphibians or insects.

After searching the web, I believe we have the dubious distinction of being the first and only school system in the country to have an "animal ban".

Has this happened anywhere else and how do I get them to listen to reason?

:confused:Teacherman1

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 1, 2009

You won't. They don't want to hear it. Our district did the same thing years ago, and it wasn't just allergies. There are issues with reptiles and samonella, there are animal bites and scratches, there are children with phobias, and there is the issue of the insects that have to be stored and the live (or freeze-dried) rodents that are fed to many reptiles and the trauma it causes some children to watch them being fed, there is the issue of foul odors from poorly kept habitats (which unfortunately happens) as well as who cleans the enclosures (teacher, or custodian), who hauls away the wastes, and who deals with escaped animals, as well as the perceived "emotional trauma" when the animals die over night.

There are the emergency issues when the school gets snowed in during a winter storm, the power goes out, and everyone comes in days later to the stench of dead fish, animals, etc fills the air. It takes days to get that smell out.

Years ago, after a hurricane, we were out of school for over 2 weeks. There was no power at the schools or our homes. All the food in the freezer rotted which was quite a stench. It was hot, humid, and our school had no windows that could even be opened. By the time anyone could safely get to the buildings, all the pets had died, and there were hordes of insects (maggots, flying gnatty creatures, and such) all over the place. It was horrible.

Districts often just don't want to deal with the issues, so they simply ban animals. It is a loss in some ways, but I got over it. It was less work for me. I brought my classroom pets home, and kept them here. Thank goodness when that hurricane came through, I had brought my bunny and guinea pigs home.

4. TeaRoses4M&D

TeaRoses4M&D Rookie

Sep 1, 2009

I loved having animals in my classroom, I think students learn many important lessons from the experience. My team and I had birds for several years, then we were told we couldn't. We explained that noone in either class had any allergies and none of the parents had complained but the birds still had to leave the classroom. We were told we could have fish. That being said, I do understand the allergy/asthma concerns especially with the furry creatures, but why doesn't your school at least allow fish or hermit crabs? I know people are allergic to fish that you eat, but the fish in your room are not being touched. Maybe doing some research on the benefits would help persuade your school. In answer to your question no, I haven't heard of it happening to this extreme. I am sorry to hear this. Good luck!

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2009

I think they had better get busy then and ban the cockroaches, ants, and mice.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 2, 2009

LOL good one!

There you go! Get some of those hissing madagascar cockroaches as pets and claim you just collected them as they were running around the room. LOL

7. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Sep 2, 2009

:lol: love it!

we are not allowed animals either, so you are not alone

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2009

Not trying to be snotty, but is a fish considered an animal?!?

I can see the hamsters & furry things that might be distracting (sorry but those squeaky wheels drive me insane), but fish that swim & make no noise.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 2, 2009

Well, a fish is neither vegetable nor mineral, so that sort of leaves animal by default...

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 2, 2009

My shoe is neither vegetable nor mineral either...

:lol:

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2009

Is that a "pet shoe" like a "pet rock?"

I wan't trying to be funny about the fish question.... I think of classroom animals they are usually furry & maybe the school boards think so as well.

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 2, 2009

You may have to go this route...

[​IMG]

Fake fish

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2009

I've seen a smaller version of that & one with a turtle at Walgreens!!!

14. greengables

greengables Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

No class pets here, either. Allergies, phobias and fear of lawsuits. :(

15. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 2, 2009

We are allowed to have fish, but they considered banning them for this reason. If the power goes out over a 3 day weekend, the water can get very moldy, and some children have severe mold allergies. I'm not saying I agree with it.

16. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Sep 2, 2009

put up a bird feeder with bird seed in it. instant pets, plus kids get to watch them in their natural environment.

17. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2009

I actually went this route! ...minus the fake fish. Just water and rocks and plants.

18. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Sep 2, 2009

We can have animals but there is so much paperwork involved - no one bothers. We adopt webkinz for class pets and let the kids take turns taking it home and writing about what they did with it.