All 5th grade teachers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Daisha, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Apr 9, 2007

I was wondering if you all had any resources for teaching the human growth and development unit that needs to be taught at this grade, in NM anyway. This unit is also known as the Puberty unit. Thanks!

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 9, 2007

Sorry, we're not allowed to bring it up. School board decided it was a topic best left to the parents.

4. teachertee

teachertee Rookie

Apr 9, 2007

We watch the "Just Around the Corner" Video and that is basically it! The nurse does it for us actually and the boys and girls are separated.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2007

How much detail do you go into--here our grade s learn about puberty and the changes their bodies will go through as they become adults. The topic is covered under our health curriculum and is often taught by the homeroom teacher, although it could be the Phys Ed teacher. Parents must sign a permission form allowing their children to participate in this area of study. The materials I use are from: http://www.ophea.net/ (you need to register, but there are a wealth of Phys Ed and Health resources).

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 9, 2007

We don't teach health.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 9, 2007

Our school nurse does a class for the girls and talks to the bys for a little while about things like deodorant, etc. Fortunately I don't have to worry about that! :D

8. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Apr 10, 2007

Its amazing how much of a taboo subject health education is.
    Then we wonder why there are so many un planned pregnancies in Junior High.

Leave it to the parents... some parents leave if for the teachers, then the kid gets left out in the dark.

Thank goodness for the internet, curious kids can at lease try and find information before they "try it".

It's just too bad that the internet is worse than anything a professional can say in a classroom.

We had a question box, that we could write any question we had on our minds, and the teacher would brave the answer to us in a polite and professional way. we had our giggles, but I learned more about social context of the tween curriculum from those questions than I would have in any textbook, or special health class.

Good luck.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2007

I've always used a queston box as well. Before we begin our unit we set up "ground rules" for our discussions--things like no personal questions or stories, mutual respect, etc.

10. meridian

meridian Rookie

Apr 11, 2007

We watch the Just Around the Corner videos too. We separate the boys and girls. We also give parents a chance to preview the videos and materials if they like and they have to sign a permission slip.

We also talk about Rites of Passage in different cultures and then we have our kids create bracelets. Because puberty is a time for change, they picked one thing they want to "leave behind"-something like fighting with siblings, whining to parents, I can't think of others that came up:sorry: But anyway, then they pick a couple things they are going to start doing that they would take with them into adulthood.

They made 2 bracelets. They use a rubberband to represent what they would leave behind. Then, they choose 2 or 3 beads and put them on suede rope to signify what they want to change. The kids loved it!

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2007

I love this idea!