All 4 English Tests at Once?

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by hse6m, Mar 1, 2009.

1. hse6m

hse6m Rookie

Mar 1, 2009

I have two weeks until the next CSET sitting. I am going to just read and read and practice between now and then. Historically, I do pretty well on standardized tests. I took ERBs from 1-7th grades and then SATs at least once a year from 7-11, took the LSAT with 2 weeks of prep and took and passed two bar exams. If there is one thing they drilled into me, it was enduring scan-tron and short essay tests. I wish the rest of life went that smoothly!

On the other hand, I have not prepared for this material and although I majored in English and Art, and completed law school, all of which I believe will help me on these tests, that was years ago.

I'd really appreciate everyone's input on whether to just go in there and try taking all four tests and see what happens or whether to just take 2 and wait until May to take the other 2.

Thanks so much y'all. This forum is an amazing resource! I am so grateful for everyone's input!

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2009

Theoretically, the tests are designed so that someone who is well prepared can pass all the subtests in one sitting. I would expect someone who majored in English and recently graduated to be able to do this. The rest of us usually spread the pain over two or more sessions.

If money is not an issue, trying all four at once won't hurt. They will give you all four subtests at the start of the session. You can decide to focus on passing fewer once you start. And you will get a glimpse of what all the subtests are like.

4. hse6m

hse6m Rookie

Mar 1, 2009

that's a great idea- if it looks like I can't do them all, just ignore one. I hadn't thought of that! Thanks!

5. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2009

And one of the nice things about CSET is that all potential employers see is a transcript that says you passed, nothing about with what score or how many tries it took you.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 1, 2009

With a background like yours, hse6m, going for all four sounds reasonable.

7. Furthuron

Furthuron Companion

Mar 8, 2009

I took all 4 at once and passed the first 3. I think if I could go back and do it over I would have done 2 and 2 just because I feel like I rushed through IV to get it done in time. However, if you feel confident with the subject matter, it shouldn't be a problem. Just remember to not take section IV for granted! :)

Good luck!

8. hse6m

hse6m Rookie

Apr 14, 2009

It worked! Thanks y'all!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 15, 2009

Very well done, hse6m!