Aligning IEPs and teaching to the CCSS

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by deefreddy, Aug 16, 2015.

1. deefreddy

deefreddy Companion

Aug 16, 2015

I'm curious if teachers at the Foundational level (mod/sev, multiple disabilities) are aligning their teaching to the CCSS, like described in the book Aligning IEPs to the Common Core State Standards by Browder and Courtade-Little. Most all of the teachers in my district teach "life-skills", meaning money, cooking, basic math, sight words or functional words and task box type of vocational skills. They also do some sort of community instruction (mostly ordering food and bus training) at the high school level. Our district also has a Unique Curriculum subscription (which my students find very boring at the HS level).

Just curious if you've had success teaching grade level content with adapted materials, and if so, do you have any suggestions on where to find materials.

3. ca_sped

ca_sped Rookie

Aug 16, 2015

I do a combo of CCSS and life skills. The CAA is based on the CCSS standards so you need to teach them at some level. I end up adapting everything myself, because I haven't found anything suitable out there and Unique is broad but not very deep. You're not going teach addition with three math problems a month. I end up using the topics and supplementing with additional materials during my teaching time.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2015

Our mod/severe students are working towards the "extended evidence outcomes" that go along with the standards, not the standards themselves. Do not all states use the EEOs?

I went to a training for sped teachers of all levels last year about aligning goals to state standards. They said you were supposed to start with the standard in mind and then keep going backwards until you arrived at whatever skill the student needed to accomplish next in order to work towards learning the standard. Honestly, I felt it was all semantics. Unless you're teaching something that has absolutely nothing to do with any standard (which is highly unlikely) you're pretty much going to arrive at the same goal regardless of if you started with the student's level in mind or the standard in mind.