Alaskan Cruise Experiences???

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by teach'ntx, Dec 28, 2011.

1. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Dec 28, 2011

:help:
    My DH and I are celebrating 10 yrs this summer and have been saving for a nice trip. Right now we are planning on an Alaskan Cruise which is what I have always wanted!!! :love:

However, I know nothing about cruises as we have never been on one, or Alaska trips as I have barely been past Seattle. I would love any and all input on cruises, but especially cruise lines to Alaska. (I did find a small thread from this summer, but I am looking for more details :D)

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 28, 2011

4. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Dec 28, 2011

We did the Holland cruise through Alaska when I was a teen. I have been on 3 cruises (2 with my family growing up and then our honeymoon) and I love cruises since they have so much to do just show up!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2011

Our family is looking to go on a Disney cruise this summer. We've just logged on to the disneycruise website....we also have an 8 yr old so that's why we're choosing the Disney cruise line.

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2011

We did Alaska on Princess several years ago, including the land portion. I think Princess does cruising very well.

7. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Dec 29, 2011

Yes, We did Princess our other 2 cruises. They are nice! =)

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 29, 2011

I have been on an Alaskan cruise and am thinking of going again. Remember that the land tours are an extra fee, so plan accordingly. We loved the cruise, but we love every cruise. The best memory is sitting up in the lounge watching the eagles fly around.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 29, 2011

I have been on Holland Amercia to Alaska. I also have been on Royal Carabean. Both were wonderful.

10. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Dec 29, 2011

Thanks for all the info!!! We also have money set aside for some of the excursions. I am really looking forward to this trip and want to get every little bit out of it as who knows if I will ever make it again!!!

I do know that we most likely won't be doing Disney as we are leaving the DD's with the grandparents and cousins :)

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2011

My mother-in-law went on a cruise to Alaska a few years ago. She said that the best excursion she went on was to Katchikan, Alaska.

12. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Dec 29, 2011

I did an Alaska cruise with Holland America about 12 years ago. We ended up chosing Holland America because they had the most port visits. If I recall, Princess only visited 3 ports, while Holland America did 4. If I go on a cruise, I want to see the land I'm visiting, not just the ocean, so I look for the cruise that has the most ports.

I loved Holland cruise lines - the people were so professional and friendly, the food was wonderful, the shows were great, and the boats themselves were great. We did a Norwegian cruise 2 summers ago to Hawaii, and I thought the Holland line was a little nicer. My in-laws do a Princess cruise each year and my mother-in-law, who has also cruised with Holland America, likes Holland lines better than Princess. She thinks they are overall a nicer line.

My suggestion is to chose the cruise line that has the most ports and is most affordable to you. I would also go with the cruise line that has "free style dining" - where you get to chose when you eat and what you wear, and you aren't stuck eating with strangers when all you want in an intimate dinner for 2. That was the one thing that I loved about Norwegian - dining was totally up to you in regards to where you ate and what you wore. Once you chose your cruise line, I recommend going through the shore excursions and booking them before you get to the boat. It ends up saving you money (and time because the lines are long to book the excursions) and you don't have to worry about the excursion being booked. I personally really enjoy the tour bus excursions because you get to see neat things, but the drivers talk the whole trip telling you about the land, people, legends, and so on. I also recommend that you save time in your schedule to look around the towns where you dock. They have really neat shops in Juneau, Ketchikan, Valdez, and Sitka.

I booked our cruise to Hawaii through Expedia and was pleased with the experience. I would however, recommend booking through the cruise line. If you have to fly to the port where you board, the transfer from the airport to the ship is included in the price of the cruise. If you book independently from the cruise line, you have to find your own method of getting from the airport to the ship. It saves on stress not having to worry about transfers.

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 29, 2011

My friend works on a cruise ship and spent the summer travelling back and forth to Alaska. Anything specific that you would like to know?

14. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Jan 5, 2012

I really appreciate the offer and I am sorry it has taken so long to respond. I just did not have anything specific to ask. All my questions are very broad as I have no idea what I am doing :lol:

We are looking at the Norwegian Jewel or the Star Princess. Most of the ones in our price range have the same number of stops. If she (or anyone) knows anything about either of these cruise ships that would be great! Also, one cruises the Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska and the other cruises Cruise Sawyer Glacier. I am interested in knowing what the main difference of these two would be!!!

Once we book the trip, then I am sure I will have questions about the excursions, but right now those are my only questions.:thanks:

15. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 6, 2012

If you are a Costco member, you can get discounted cruises to Alaska from Princess Cruises, I believe.

And possibly Norwegian (the norwegian cruises looked awesome, but cruises are outside of my parents budget for vacations :p).

You may also want to check with your union for any discounts

And the Norwegian Jewel looks like an awesome ship judging by its page on the Norwegian site. Seems to have more amenities and things to do than the other ship

16. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Jan 8, 2012

bros - we are not members of Costco, but I did not think about looking for discounts in places like that.

Cruises were also out of my parents budget and are barely in ours. However, we love to travel and have been saving for a long time. Also, we are not bringing children, so it is a little cheaper lol

17. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 9, 2012

Also check whatever airline you would be flying with - most airlines have their own travel services

Also if you are a AAA member, they have a travel service.

(also we are going on vacation to vegas this summer, woo. But we have to leave out of JFK instead of EWR, making it so it'll be like an extra hour we have to leave early, to save $400)