Ak-ward...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 27, 2010

I was checking out at the grocery store this afternoon and the checkout lady looked up at me and said 'Oh, are you out on your own now?' with a little knowing smile. I was really confused and quickly looked over what I was getting-lots of desserts, yes... but nothing that would warrant a comment like that. Then I realized she thought I was a teenager. But I didn't know what to say back-it was so random, and not invited at all. So she kept ringing me up, and I was kind of quiet. And then she started to ask about my mom and dad. And that's when I realized she thought she knew me. So I had to stop her and tell her I didn't know her, and then she got all embarrassed (which I knew would happen and which is why I did NOT want to say anything). She kept apologizing and then went on to say she had babysat for 'me' (she couldn't really grasp I wasn't this person she thought I was) since I was 'this high'. I was walking away by this point.

I don't know which I'm more disturbed by-that there is someone out there that looks so much like me, or that she thought I was 16. When I told her I was 28, she was stunned. Mouth opened stunned. So much for trying to look older...

I think that age thread jinxed me.

3. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 27, 2010

Ugh! I dislike the comments about the random assortment of stuff I am getting! Especially when getting snacks! lol that bothers me! haha- that is so funny, she thought you were a teenager. lol
    Overall, I am sorry that happened to you- but it was a little funny! Well, next time you go there you know who to avoid!

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 27, 2010

:lol:Jem. Is your hair still pink? I work with people about 5-15 years younger than me and people think I'm at least 10 years younger than what I really am.

5. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 27, 2010

People talk too much!!

I remember when my husband and I used to go to a local pharmacy instead of the pharmacies in the CVS or Walgreens. We thought the pharmacist would be more personable with us since it was a smaller store and not a chain.

When I picked up a generic RX for something the elderly "sweet looking" cashier said "Oh sweetie, you need a 10 dollar minimun to use your debit or credit card here." I was in a rush so I just grabbed a Hershey Bar from the counter and said "Here, add this in please, that should do it."

She LOWERED her eyeglasses, looked at me up and down and said "Oh honey... You need to be eating chocolate." :(:(:(

What I wanted to say: Here's a tip, "sweety" -- I know I'm overweight. I don't need you to tell me that to figure it out.\

What I said: Uhh... Ummm... Yeah, you're right.

I left the store, never to return again, with the RX and a tube of gross tasting chapstick.

People can be wretched!!:dizzy::dizzy:

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 27, 2010

Glad you guys can commiserate. Yes, I still have some pink, but it's super faded now. I had it pulled back in a knot, so not obvious at all. I'm wearing a pink t-shirt and jean capris, which is not a young OR old outfit. It was just very odd.

I'm off to dig in to the giant pineapple upside down cake I bought. Because apparently I'm finally on my own and can eat entire cakes in one sitting.

7. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 27, 2010

I dislike it when an older person will refer to me as "kid" when they're talking, like "have a good day, kid" when I'm 30. I remember an older gentleman telling me that as I passed by the park's pay booth.

One time, a waitress said "what will you kids have?" or something like that, and I said "we're not kids, we're in our 30s" kind of defensively because I was caught off guard to be sitting with my husband and someone talk to us like that. Yes, we were surrounded by older people at the golf course for a quick bite but it's just best to talk to someone without adding those age-related words. I wouldn't say "how are you old woman?" hehe =)

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 27, 2010

Haha, Tennis. I would say this woman was about my age-that makes it even weirder!

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2010

Just wait until you get, "Can I help you, ma'am?" :(

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2010

Well, Jem. You can either take it as a compliment or forget about it. I know people can look like the spitting image of others. She could have just asked you if you were so & so before doing all that other talking, but oh well, it's over now. It's certainly nothing for you to be embarrassed about & don't feel awkward. She's the one who made the mistake. :)

Woah, the nerve of some people! No one's ever been so bold to say things like this to me. I would have said, "Uh, I'm sure you mean well, but it's really none of your concern, so would you please just ring me up."

11. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 27, 2010

Oh I've heard that too! That also catches me off guard. :lol: How about, "Can I help you find something, Miss?" that would be appropriate for me rather than kid or ma'am.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2010

I use ma'am for all ages, including my students.

But my husband and I were just talking about this yesterday. Yet again the person checking him at Walmart commented on what he was buying when it wasn't really appropriate. It reminds me of the SNL skit with the Target clerk. :)

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 27, 2010

I got a chatty clerk at the grocery today. She asked me questions about several items. Then she was amazed when my $154 bill turned into $97 after my coupons.

At least she didn't make any personal kinds of comments. Years ago at the same store, the clerk made a comment about me being pregnant. Ummm . . . no.

14. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

Jul 27, 2010

I wouldn't take it personally. I was a grocery cashier for over 5 years and ringing up stuff can get pretty boring. Most people don't really want to talk, so it's just a way to make conversation. The store I worked for encouraged us to talk to customers. I never commented about personal items, but if someone came in and bought loads of beer or 20 cases of coke....."Thirsty?"

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2010

See, I don't like that...someone commenting on how much of something I'm buying. Actual conversation is NOT always necessary.

16. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 27, 2010

Conversation is fine, but commenting on what I'm buying is rude. I once had a cashier ask me if the tums were for me or my boyfriend. Huh?? Would you REALLY like to hear about my stomach ulcer issues?

17. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 27, 2010

I agree that it's inappropriate to comment on what someone is buying (though often if I'm buying a lot of something, I feel the need to explain, anyway).

In Jem's situation, it is a little different. The cashier clearly mistook Jem for someone else (someone obviously much younger.) With the understanding that this person thought Jem was someone she KNEW, it is not as inappropriate to make comments on what they're buying.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 27, 2010

Once I went to Tractor Supply and purchased three containers of Anti-Monkey Butt powder. (one for home, one for work, and one for Mom)

The clerk was young (and cute). He smiled at me and said, "So, you have monkey butt?" I told him that I didn't because the powder cured it. :thumb:

19. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

Jul 27, 2010

Yes, Jem's situation was weird. But just talking about stuff or weird items in general isn't unusual to me. I guess I picked the right ones...because they never got offended and were happy to get chatty about it. Now, condoms and pregnancy tests...no, I just swiped them on through and bagged them right away. What is Anti-Monkey Butt powder?

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 28, 2010

It's great stuff! I have the regular and "lady" (non-talc) versions. They have calamine powder added. It's great in hot weather.

[​IMG]

Anti-Monkey Butt Powder

21. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Jul 28, 2010

My most embarrassing moment in the grocery store happened a couple of years ago. One of my students and his mom both worked at the store. She saw me making my way to the check-out, and she said, "Oh, you have to go to Joe's check-out line!" I had feminine products in my cart and there was NO WAY I was going to embarrass him and myself by having him check me out. His mom tried to motion me that way, so I picked up the box of tampons and said, "I don't think it would be a good idea today." We both laughed and I went to another line.

22. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 28, 2010

One of my male students checked out my feminine hygiene products one time. His comment: "My girlfriend likes the kind with the purple words on the box better." It was a priceless moment.

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 28, 2010

I was at the grocery store one day and this random 80+ old man stopped me in the aisle and said, "Aren't you too young to be shopping by yourself"? I was about 30 at the time :dizzy: I wanted to say, "Yes, Sir. And I don't drink out of a sippy cup anymore".

A few times I've had either door to door salesmen or survey takers or guys from the electric company come knocking on my door and ask me if my parents were home. I told them no, they don't live here but since this is MY house I could help them. I have to admit I did say "NO" one time to a survey taker and just closed the door on her. I guess I do get offended sometimes.

24. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 28, 2010

This is the best thing I've read all day!!

Thank you for the laugh, I needed it!!

I have had people comment on pregnancy tests... After we'd been working on the pregnancy thing, we realized that those tests are NOT cheap.

So we went to a place called Big Lots... not sure if they're exclusive to Southern Florida...? It's like a discount store... sort of, hard to explain.

Anyways the lady at the register said "Well, what are you hoping for with this?!?!?!"

LOL!:woot:

25. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 28, 2010

Sorry off topic a bit, but We have Big Lots in MA, too. Sometimes they have great school stuff! I used to love it there, but the one near me closed and it is too far to go to the other one and it was not as good as the one that closed. lol

26. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2010

My daughter and I will stand in line together talking like moms and daughter do, pushing one cart, taking all items out and placing them on the belt with no dividers, talking to each other the entire time, y'know. As the cashier begins to ring us up, they'll look us up and down and back and forth then ask "Is this all together?" ...d'huh? LOL This has happened since she was a little child and even to this day where she's now a teenager. I'm biracial and she is multiracial but I am brown and she is white. Regardless, we are obviously not asking anything to be rung up separately. That's pure rudeness but partially due to ignorance and we live in a major city! LOL Now we just mess with cashiers that do that.

27. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jul 28, 2010

we have big lots in utah too. But the cheapest place to buy pregnancy tests is dollar tree. When you are trying to get PG you seem to buy a bunch.

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2010

EEK. Do you find them reliable? :eek:

29. GG Fan

GG Fan Rookie

Jul 28, 2010

The Dollar Tree test I used last summer was accurate :D But I did take the test about 3 days after my period was expected; I don't know how good they are at detecting pregnancy before your period is expected.

30. GG Fan

GG Fan Rookie

Jul 28, 2010

I don't think anyone has ever commented on my purchases. But last time I was in my home town (very small town) the cashier at the gas station asked if so-and-so was my dad and said I look just like him (I usually hear that I look just like my mom). He also said something about how much I look like my brother, who used to work at that gas station. When I told my dad about this he said "Oh yeah, that was probably so-and-so." It was a guy I had gone to school with but he was several years older than me. I never would have recognized him as an adult!

31. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 28, 2010

well, along the lines of several posts in this thread...a few years ago I was purchasing a couple of pregnancy tests and some prenatal vitamins. As the MALE cashier was ringing up my items, he said: "Don't you think you should lose some weight before trying to conceive?":mad::confused: I mean, when do they tell cashiers in training that they should do their best to ensure that customers do not want to shop at their store anymore....geez!

32. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jul 29, 2010

Gosh, some cashiers are just plain rude. There have been times where a cashier ask if I should be getting something because of my weight. It's annoying and none of their business. Especially, when I am giving myself a treat for a good workout week. Geez.

33. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 29, 2010

I thought of you today, Jem. I was in line at the grocery store and the lady in front of me was chatting it up with everyone, in an awkward way. She asked the lady in front of her if she could borrow her discount key fob thing and then asked me for .15 cents when she checked out because she was short. I gave it to her because I was so taken aback. Weirdo! :)

34. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2010

:eek: