AIS Interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by LMichele, Jan 2, 2012.

1. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jan 2, 2012

What can I expect to be asked on an ELA/Math AIS interview?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2012

What is AIS?

4. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jan 2, 2012

Academic Intervention Services. For students who have failed or are at-risk of failing state exams.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2012

Is the ELA for regular education students, students who haven't failed yet?

I would expect questions about reaching the students. How would you get their attention and maintain their attention during a lesson? What strategies can you use to help the students develop the skills that they were unable to learn in the regular education classroom? How will you incorporate test prep?

6. ayla

ayla Companion

Jan 2, 2012

What kind of teaching will you be doing (small group, co-teaching, etc?)? I work with failing/at-risk kids in just math. I primarily co-teach but also do pull-out. My interview questions were about co-teaching (very intricate things so be prepared to know exactly how you would co-teach and co-plan, without offending/stepping on toes/etc while keeping best practices in mind, if that is part of what you might do... I can PM you more specific questions and my answers if this is part of what you would do), multiple teaching methods (because they clearly did not get it the traditional way) and best practices, manipulatives (concrete-representation-abstract) and how you feel about conceptual understanding vs procedural fluency, how you use data to drive instruction -- good to ask them questions about what kind of data you would have to work with and what you have used before (data is a big part of my job and there were a few more very specific questions asked I can also PM you), and then normal things like discipline, planning units, etc. I'm sure reading would have analogous phonics/comprehension/fluency type best practices questions. On many interviews I was asked specifically how I might teach a topic of my choice. I would usually choose something interesting like addition of fractions with unlike denominators so I could hit on direct instruction, small group work, differentiation, etc. I also was lucky enough to be teaching summer school at the time and so I could pull out a worksheet I had just made recently with some alternative multiplication strategies on it. HTH!

Also you'll probably be asked about your experience with special ed students!

7. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2012

Good Luck!!!

8. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jan 4, 2012

I am a AIS Math/ELA teacher and in NY, too.

Did you already have your interview?

I don't remember specifics from my interview but I think they were all pretty basic el ed questions. Working with others, strategies, discipline, etc.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions!

Good luck!

9. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jan 5, 2012

Thank you for responding! My interview is tomorrow.

I went on one other AIS interview this year, and like you said they were all basic el. ed. questions. I spoke to the AIS teacher in my school and she said hers was the same too. I know differentiation is big and working with other teachers. Thank you SO much :)

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2012

Good luck tomorrow!

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2012

In addition to what's already been said, you may be asked to share a sample math and ELA lesson.

And then they may ask you the other typical questions:
    1) tell us about yourself (I typically stick to my education and prior work experience and how it relates to this job)
    2) why do you want to work here

12. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jan 6, 2012

Thanks everyone! I studied up last night on the district's math & ELA program, read up on the Common Core Standards, and printed out some info on RTI & differentiated instruction so I'm ready (I always feel like my differentiation answers are a bit weak). I finished my brochure last night and just have to print it out, and then I'm good to go :)

13. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2012

Good luck today! Hopefully you'll hear back quickly about the job.

Is this for next school year or the rest of this school year?

14. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jan 6, 2012

It would be for the rest of the school year. I'm currently a 3rd year permanent substitute, and in the past I would have never thought of leaving my school & district in the middle of the year. However, my current district rarely, if ever, hires perm. subs for tenure track positions, or leave replacements. This district where I'm interviewing has excellent compensation for their perm. subs and almost always hires them for tenure track positions and leaves. My thinking is that if I can do a great job with this leave (if I get it), then I could hopefully be put back in the district as a perm. sub next school year.

15. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 6, 2012

Good luck!

16. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jan 6, 2012

Thats great! Hoping for the best for you! I hate that so many districts around here do not hire their leaves and perm subs.

17. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jan 7, 2012

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. I have a feeling they already have someone for the position, as they only interview 5 people for 10 minutes each and hope to have someone in the position by Tuesday of this week.

I had a solid writing sample and a wonderful brochure that I left with each member of the panel. Unfortunately, I felt that it was a very tough ten minutes and as confident as I was walking in, I was very thrown by some of their questions. I felt as if I was laughed at for considering the remedial and enrichment classes I teach at a local academic center teaching experience (I plan and implement the curriculum aligned to state standards, give and grade weekly homework, assessments and projects, differentiate instruction, etc.)

Also, my question to the panel asked them to describe their district's AIS program, as I have seen that it can vary greatly from district to district. I explained briefly what the AIS program I am familiar with in my current district, and asked for a brief description of their program. It was evident from my other answers that I was familiar with what ELA and Math programs they use in the classroom, so I did my research on the district. However, one member of the panel seemed SO incredibly offended by this question, as if it was the dumbest question I could ask.

18. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2012

Sorry it was a rough interview. Chalk it up to experience and keep looking for the right fit. If they weren't taking you seriously with what you did, it probably wasn't the right place for you to work.

19. LITeachTeach

LITeachTeach Rookie

Jan 7, 2012

I can't believe they were so rude. Good thing you know now so you know that district doesn't deserve your talents. I've been on interviews where I didn't click at all with the interviewers and felt belittled. (Wonder if it's a Long Island thing...)