Airport Scanner vs. "pat down" ...upcoming travel plans!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2010

I'm pretty laid-back, too.

The thing is that I think that my privacy is important. Unless they have reason to believe that I might have something dangerous in my possession, I see no reason to allow anyone to touch me. The pat-downs that they're doing aren't cursory, make-sure-there's-nothing-in-your-pockets sort of actions. They're invasive. Men in the news reports on CNN say that their testicles are being felt around a full 360 degrees, complete with cupping action. That's not appropriate, especially for someone who is just trying to hop onto a plane and go visit grandma.

An equally-distressing issue is that once you enter the security checkpoint, you're not allowed to leave without being searched or scanned, even if you decide that the scanning/searching is too much and you don't want to get on the plane after all. You aren't allowed to revoke the consent you gave when you bought your ticket. That's not right.

2. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2010

Or maybe I'll opt for the scan. But only after donning a kilt and informing the security agent that I'd decided to go "commando" that day.

3. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Nov 21, 2010

I did the scan last year. We have had it for awhile, I didn't realize that was what it was, there was no line. It was no big deal.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 21, 2010

What about people like this special ed teacher who was humiliated? I think this whole ordeal was a pretty big deal to him. Now, I'm all for safety, but I just think this has gotten a bit out of control. Like I said before, maybe we need to look at Isreal for some ideas.

5. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Nov 21, 2010

Wow, that's so sad. I feel so bad for him!

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 21, 2010

Well, I hope they try to because just the other day on the news. This man was saying how it's considered a felony when there's __ & a misdemeanor when there's inappropriate groping, such as when a female is inappropriately touched by the male.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 21, 2010

Still, man or women, I wouldn't feel comfortable having anyone feel me up down there or my breasts. Bleh. (except for my female dr.)

8. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 22, 2010

Yeah, Israel has a great system. It is rather effective, too.

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 22, 2010

I totally agree. I don't look like I'd blow up a plane, WHY waste my time and theirs? The whole thing makes me furious.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 22, 2010

11. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Nov 22, 2010

Not a big fan of either one. We flew through an airport this summer that had it, so we did the scan. I was VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY upset by it, but was marginally less upset by that than the "Let's grope you in the name of safety". I can not express the number of reasons I find this reprehensible, but suffice to say, we are done flying. Period. (The weekend we flew was the first week of it, and had we known in advance when we'd purchased the tickets, we would not have flown then. I nearly did not go, but because of the nature of the trip, it was impossible to drive or cancel.) There is no limit to the invasion of privacy required to fly. Further, there is not a control of the data/pics, nor is there recourse for people whose experience has been a violation of good taste and decorum. This nonsense is not helping the airline industry for sure.

12. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2010

I don't mind the pat down

but I do hope they call me the next day or buy me dinner

Heck it would be more action than I have had quite a while.