Airborne Sued

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 6, 2008

Someone on another board I belong to posted this. Since there's been a thread about Airborne here in the past, I just wanted to post this.

They got sued for false advertising to the tune of $23M because the product works no better than regular vitamins. I think the article calls them "overpriced vitamins".

I've used it before several times & it really seemed to lessen the intensity & length of my colds.

http://biz.yahoo.com/cnnm/080304/030...ment.html?.v=2

3. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Mar 6, 2008

Interesting. I like Airbourne.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2008

If you take a look at the ingredients, Airborne really is like glorified multivitamins.

One claim they probably can make is that the vitamins and minerals are more easily absorbed by the body because they're dissolved before ingesting.

I'll take Airborne when I know I have a cold coming on, but I won't take it on a day-to-day basis, even during cold season, because it is just too expensive.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2008

Airborne was invented by a teacher. I think the story I heard on the news that she combined several vitamins/herbs into one pill.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 6, 2008

My hubby asked his doc about it & he looked up the ingrediants and said you can get most of what it says on here by drinking a lot OJ or taking Vitamin C (don't really remember the dosage off hand). But he did say there were a couple of concerns he would have taking it, especially all the time.

We take the store brand now that there is one.

Cassie...I'm like you I take it when I feel something coming on or if I'm around a lot of colds (the past couple days...mine own have had the crud.)

7. HMM

HMM Cohort

Mar 6, 2008

placebo effect.

Just take a daily multivitamin, eat right, and wash your hands a lot.

8. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Mar 6, 2008

I can't take multivitamins, they make me smell like maple syrup. That's right. I smell like maple syrup when I consistantly take a multivitamin!!! I know it's totally weird! My whole classroom ends up smelling like syrup.:lol:

HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF THIS HAPPENING TO ANYONE ELSE???

9. HMM

HMM Cohort

Mar 6, 2008

:eek:

That's interesting.

10. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Mar 6, 2008

There are worse things to smell like! I like maple syrup. :)

11. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Mar 6, 2008

Yes, I've heard of that! I know exactly what you mean.
    Multivitamins actually upset my stomach, so I don't use them. Maybe that's why I'm so tired all the time?? :whistle:

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 6, 2008

That's weird because I have a friend who I always think smells like syrup. I wonder if he takes vitamins? haha.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2008

That happens to me, too, so I take my vitamin at night. I also take the children's chewable Flintstone vitamins, which seem to have helped a lot.

14. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Mar 6, 2008

Wow, I have never heard of that! Multivitamins tend to make me gag. I've found that the Target store brand or Wal-Mart store brand are better for me for some reason, I can take those and actually not gag, although I have to take them at night. If I try to take them first thing in the morning, I still gag.

I've taken airborne before when the kids are really passing around the germs, and I really think it works. Even if it is all in my mind, I'm still not getting sick, so that's okay by me.

15. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Mar 6, 2008

I used to be an airborne fan! I recently started to take (and love) emergen-C...similar to airborne, but cheaper! You can buy a box of 30 packets for less than or around the same price as a pack of airbonre (one tube comes with what, 8 or 10 tabs?) Emergen-C is a powder, so it is easy to throw into a bottle of water (I usually drink about half of it plain first). Also, the tropical fruit flavor tastes better than airborne!

That is just my 2Cents....I don't know how much it really works, but I like the way it tastes and I think it helps with the immune system...esp. with all of the little germs flying around my room!

16. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 6, 2008

I swear by Airborne. It has a combo of herbs and vitamins and minerals that really keep me from getting sick, or I only get mildly sick. Once my whole family had just arrived in Mexico for vacation, and everyone suddenly came down with sneezing, sore throat, and headache. We all slammed down Airborne, and 2 days later it was all gone!

How can you sue someone for selling something that doesn't work better than a vitamin? The people were not forced to buy it? Sheesh!

17. little317

little317 Groupie

Mar 6, 2008

This reminds me of when someone sued McDonalds because they got burned by hot coffee. Some people just need to use their brains and start taking responsibility for their own choices!!

I buy the Walgreens brand of airbourne. Its cheaper and it tastes better. It has helped me when I am on the brink of getting sick.

18. HMM

HMM Cohort

Mar 6, 2008

"... First, he says, Airbone entered the market claiming that its formula — a result of research by second-grade teacher Victoria Knight-McDowell — could ward off colds. Airborne later backed off, reworking its campaign to say the supplement "boosts your immune system."

The problem, Schardt says, is that Airborne didn't have a single shred of evidence to back up either claim...."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=87937907

If it is ok to do this then I think I'll start selling sugar pills next week and claim that they can cure the common cold.

If you claim that your product can do something you better have the research to back it up.

19. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 6, 2008

Most of my herbal supplement bottles say *this claim has not been evaluated by the FDA. That is enough to get by with all sorts of claims.

20. HMM

HMM Cohort

Mar 6, 2008

True.

I'll add that to my sugar pill;)

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2008

:lol:

22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2008

and walgreens had their own brand...Walborne! :rolleyes:

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2008

different foods affect different people. it's all about chemical reactions. many ethnic groups have a strong body odor because they ingest heavy amounts of certain foods.

when my daughter and my ex eat garlic, it stays in their skin for two days! I mean their hands, arms, hair...everything on them smells like a whole glove of fresh garlic.

It took me awhile to realize and accept this. I stopped cooking with garlic salt and powder for months because I couldn't stand being in the same room with them! :( of course, they both thought I was crazy when I said this. She's grown, so I don't care if she eats it now! :lol:

24. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2008

lamaze class teacher told me that oj kills all the benefits of vitamins, so you should drink water or some other liquid to take them. who knew?

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2008

Centrum works for me.

I think One-A-Day has gone beserk. Now there is one-a-day silver, womens, mens, added calcium, added B2. they just don't know what to make next!

btw...everybody knows taking prenatal vitamins helps your hair and nails grow!

26. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2008

guess it falls under false advertising. Just like diet pop is supposed to help you lose weight. Now they say studies on rats prove that if your body has sugar free substitute, you automatically eat more to make up for the missing sugar..so in essence, diet drinks make you eat or drink more...which makes you gain weight!

anybody see that one? think it was ABC evening news a few weeks ago.

27. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2008

I've had my tounge scalded more times that I care to remember by their tea too. What on earth do they use to boil water??? Pot bellied stoves? Maybe a long time ago, somebody complained about stuff being not hot enough!

What I do is open the lid, drop some ice cubes in, then add my sugar, and cover it back up. By the time I get back in the car (chicago is still 28 degrees in march!), it will safe to drink.

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2008

If we find a cure for the common cold, Walgreens will go out of business!

when they made that study that parents should not give their kids cold medicine, because it did not work, and most of it was harmful...the aisles in walgreens were all empty! more people come to 24 hour stores trying to soothe a sick child.

it just has to run it's course

29. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 10, 2008

I keep some of the RiteAid version handy in case I feel a cold coming on. I do think it can help my system fight it off more efficiently, when combined with the classic tactics like getting enough sleep and such.

I used to gag on multivitamins, but I made myself get used to them and now I take one just about every night. What got me were the studies saying that folic acid is more effective if taken starting a year before you conceive a baby (they used to say 3 months). I'm not trying to get pregnant now, but you never know what could happen in a year...

30. little317

little317 Groupie

Mar 10, 2008

Works like a charm!

31. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Mar 10, 2008

Don't know if what they said is true--but whenever I get that scratchy feeling in the back of my throat, I take an Airborne at night and one in the morning and whether it really works or it's psychological-- I haven't gotten sick not even once this year (knock on wood!). I am glad to hear the store brands are comparable to the expensive brand. Sometimes the generics work for me, sometimes not.