Air Conditioning????

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by skittleroo, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2010

I know that is what I assumed too. I would love to be able to go without AC. I'd actually have a decent electric bill.

Heating is a good question too. Don't alot of people up North have boilers or something like that????? All I know of is gas heaters and central heat.

2. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Jul 10, 2010

I grew up in Michigan--- only had AC when we were in a new school for 8th grade. NO AC otherwise! Every other school I was in was at least 30+ years old. In 7th grade, while the new middle school was under construction, we were placed in the original school building for the district-- built in 1911! Definitely no air, but lots of big beautiful windows that provided decent air flow. In MI, we generally started after Labor Day and only needed AC for parts of September, and then again towards the end of May and the couple weeks of June until school was out. In most schools, there was a constant battle of getting the heat to keep the classrooms warm enough!

I just moved to NC (last week!) for a teaching job. It's a new schools and we'll be in portables for the first 2 years... I'm pretty sure there's AC...

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2010

My building is made of cindeblock. It was built in the 60's, when energy was cheap but good building materials were expensive. (yes, things have changed a bit in the last 50 years.)

So the boiler pumps the heat in, and it goes right out.

When the school opened in 1987 (using the building from a school that had closed) the pricnipal gave us some good advice: invest heavily in wool!

4. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2010

Im in a portable and have great air conditioning. Thank goodness because when we start back up in August it will be "99 in the shade!" Other classrooms always blow hot air, or only work sporatically! If I move to another grade I will ask to keep my room for that reason. Also because in the spring and fall I have windows with screens on both sides of the room and I get a nice cross breeze. AND I have an abandoned baseball field out my large window. Love it! :)

5. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 10, 2010

We have air in the offices, teachers lounge and cafeteria. The only classrooms that have air are the gym, the library, the computer lab and the kindergarten classrooms. (Although the K teachers will tell you their a/c doesn't work effectively.)

In northeastern Ohio it usually isn't too bad, but when it gets miserable, I take the kids down to the lobby by the office and have class (usually reading) on the floor!

6. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 10, 2010

In VA, A/C. We have it, but whether it works, is balanced throughout the building, or is turned on by temp not date is another story. Need it - many interior classrooms in the bldg.

In NY grew up with no A/C. Survived.

7. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jul 10, 2010

Our school is older so there is no a/c in most of the building. The exceptions are any portions of the building that have been remodeled, they must be up to current codes, so they have to have a/c. I am really grateful, since our department is being renovated this summer. I am going from a large one window room (small window-back of room, no air flow) that would get to at least 95 degrees on hot days to a large NO window room that will have air (assuming it is turned on).

8. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Jul 10, 2010

Im in NY and have never seen a/c in schools. Somehow we survive.

9. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 10, 2010

I'm in CA and no air conditioning here. When school starts in August we roast. It's so hot. The portables have a/c but none of the original buildings do. We are building a new 2 story building this year and I wonder if there is some code requiring it for new construction. We'll see.

We do have windows that open along two walls and doors that open to the outside on both sides, too.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2010

Here in NC, we have it of course.

I grew up in Michigan, and only my HS had it. They would put window units in the computer labs.

11. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Jul 11, 2010

AC in BAMA

12. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2010

Although we are one building 4K-12, the elementary wing is the only part of the building without AC. Now isn't that efficient? And they made us remove classroom refrigerators to save on energy costs. HELLO!

13. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 11, 2010

No a/c in my school, but I heard through the grapevine that the 5th grade rooms with have it next year due to a 504 on a student. ( Woo )

I'm in Norther NJ as well. It was TERRIBLE this year. My classroom is upstairs and has very large beautiful windows, but they're on the west side, so when it's past noon, the sun bakes the room.

14. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2010

I grew up in the middle of Fla and our old elem. school had no AC.
    In 6th grade we had a small fan to move air in the room. We also had no AC at home till I was an older teen. I still dont know how we stood it.

15. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Jul 12, 2010

I am about to head off to summer school. We have NO air conditioning. Last week it was over 100 degrees outside, who knows what it was inside the school. The fans are only blowing around hot air, and are even more of a distraction because these are children with special needs. Parents were calling the superintendent because it was so gross in the school and the kids came home soaked. The funny thing is, they didn't have to have summer school at this school. There are other schools in the district with air conditioning available, and they chose one without it?!?

16. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2010

wow - I grew up in South Florida and we had it at home and at school. That is why I didn't realize some people just didn't have it. There my school was set up with the hallways being outside, but all the classrooms had AC.

17. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Jul 20, 2010

Some schools here in NYC have a/c. The portable classrooms do, as well as the schools built within the last 10 years and select classrooms in buildings. In the older buildings, a few will have a/c because of summer school.

18. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 20, 2010

I just got an AC for this coming year. In the past I lost about 10 lbs during the hot weather. I'm in PA.

19. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 20, 2010

No AC for me- but the more modern CPS schools have them. Some of our schools are well over 100 years old. I've worked in 3 schools- 2 non A/C, one A/C.

Most schools have boiler rooms and old fashioned radiator heat too.

20. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 21, 2010

I live and teach in Southern Florida and can not imagine teaching without an AC. After recess the children come in dripping with sweat and the fairer-skinned ones are so pink!!!

I grew up in the Boston area and no schools had AC! :)

21. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jul 21, 2010

I live in Texas, and our schools have A/C. Ours broke all the time last year, and there were several days that it was 90+ degrees in my classroom.

At my new school, I will have my own thermostat in my room! I'm so excited about this, I can't even believe it. Last year, all the teachers would take turns BEGGING for the A/C to be turned on so instead of one of us being labeled as annoying, we all were. (My admin was TERRIBLE and it seemed like they actually hated us.)

My room for this year doesn't have any windows, so while I'll have to depend wholly on fluorescent lights, I won't have to deal with any excess heat from poorly insulated windows like last year.

22. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

That's really not that bad...my husband teaches in the oldest school in NYC. A couple years ago towards the end of the year, one of the science teachers took a thermometer and put it by the door. It read 130 degrees :eek:

23. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2010

That is just wrong.

24. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

Yeah, but they get used to it after a while. He said they're gradually putting a/c throughout the building, but it's taking a while.

25. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 21, 2010

I live in eastern Nebraskaand teach at one of the few schools in the city without AC. It is an older building and would need to be completely rewired if we were to get AC. WE sure could use it though. The building gets up to 90 degrees in the mornings until at least mid September (we start in late Aug.) Spring (mid-April and May) can be rather uncomfortable too. I did not have AC growing up so I can cope, but I don't know how these kids do it without getting sick.

26. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jul 21, 2010

That's ridiculous! I guess your school year goes longer than ours...that probably has a lot to do with it, too. Our last day of school was May 28, and by the end of June, it was unbearably hot where I live. I did at least have a ceiling fan and a little oscillating fan by my desk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.