Air Conditioning????

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by skittleroo, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2010

I was reading a post where some of you were talking about not having a/c. That is almost unimaginable to me. So it got me interested in how many work in those conditions.......

So.... does your school have a/c?
    Where do you teach?

Can't imagine. I live in Texas and our Ac starts up in March/April and runs through at least October....but have also had to run it in Dec and jan.

3. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 9, 2010

Yes we have AC. We are in Georgia. Hopefully they got the kinks worked out in the AC system over the summer (new building, some rooms super hot even with AC/some rooms like an iceberg).

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2010

Southern Ontario (it's been well over 32C here all week!)
    No air conditioning in elementary school; some of the newer high schools have it. We're in school from the day after Labour Day until the very end of June.

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 9, 2010

I have a/c here in NC, but growing up in RI, nobody had it.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2010

No a/c in the school I went to.
    I think maybe the newer schools do, but not many here have them.

7. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 9, 2010

a/c here in GA.

8. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2010

NO AC in school in NY! the ones ive worked at anyway

9. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2010

I was talking to my kids a few days ago and they thought I was lying to them when I said grandma didn't used to have AC back in the 50's when she was their ages. They just couldn't believe it. What did they do????? Didn't they die????

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2010

I have a swamp cooler in Idaho. Some of the rooms have air conditioning, but only in one wing of the building. (And it doesn't work very well.)

11. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jul 9, 2010

Our entire building is air conditioned here in Missouri - but has only been that way for three years. Before that, some rooms had window units, some different and two wings of the building had central air.

On the same note, I work all summer and the AC died yesterday. Our classrooms have two very small windows that don't open in such a way to let in a lot of air. The office staff was really suffering yesterday, but the lack of AC may have sped up the board meeting last night. It still isn't fixed today.

12. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2010

I was wondering the same thing when I saw how many people put air conditioning on their wish list for their classes. I could not think of not having air in our school.

13. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 9, 2010

So Cal here, we have a/c and it works great when the DO decides we are hot enough.

14. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jul 9, 2010

When we weren't air conditioned, we sometimes would have to get out of school early during the first month or so of school.

After most of the building got air conditioned, we would take our classes to the cafeteria or library to escape the heat.

15. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jul 9, 2010

OH MY GOODNESS! I just assumed that all schools in America would have something as basic as an a/c. I feel terrible for those you that do not. I couldn't imagine not having one; it's one of the basics that I thought all schools had (I feel so naive)! It does make realize how grateful I should be for having something that I never gave much thought to before.

How do you all operate during the summer? How do the students function?

16. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 9, 2010

Parts of our school building is AC (Main office, library, 3rd floor classrooms, Learning Consultant Office, and a few classrooms on the main floor).

The last 2 years, I have had an air-conditioner in my classroom because one of my students required it. It was written in her IEP. She has MD and is in wheelchair. She gets very hot and sweaty and does not have much mobility.

I do not know what I am going to do next year. I have been spoiled for 2 years. I really think every classroom should be air-conditioned. In fact, we had a parent who offered to donate air-conditioners for each classroom but the Board of Ed said no...

I work in Northern NJ.

17. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 9, 2010

Happily AC'ed, but we are in South Florida, so it is nearly a necessity. (Well, not really, I guess, but for this girl it is! :) )

18. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 9, 2010

Central NJ, no AC except in Auditorium, BOE, and principal/main office/nurses office.

My HS went from Beginning of September to around June 23rd.

Not fun. Especially when teachers collapsed due to dehydration

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2010

AC in Kentucky.

We have complete control over our air which I am genuinely grateful for. I fear, though, that because we have so many wasteful people (teachers leave for the day with their lights on...what the?) we'll eventually lose this perk.

20. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 9, 2010

Rural K-12 school in South Dakota...have had AC since 1997, I think. Not all school here do, though...we are pretty lucky, considering our size. First six weeks of school and last three or so can be pretty brutal without it.

21. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 9, 2010

Before I moved to ND, I had a hard time comprehending no AC as well. Now that I live here, I totally get it. I think my apartment a/c has run for a total of about 6-7 hours. Most days, I just keep the windows open. On those few days when it got hot and a little muggy, I turned it on for 15-20 minutes to cool things down a little, and didn't feel the need to turn it back on. The wind keeps is reasonable most of the time.

I could never have imagined that before this year. I've lived my whole life in S. Florida, where a/c is considered required equipment. Matter of fact a landlord will fail a section 8 housing inspection if there's no working a/c. Wonder how people lived before a/c though...my mom grew up in the area and seems to have survived just fine.

22. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 9, 2010

mmswm, how long have you been in ND? If only for the last two years, I hate to tell you, but they have not been normal. :) (Unless, it is changing to become the new normal, that is.) :)

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 9, 2010

Just this year. I moved in Feb. I did look at the historical averages for the various seasons, plust the recent heat waves that have come through in past years.

Even a few weeks ago when it was 90 degrees out, it just didn't feel that hot to me. It definitely didn't feel like what 90 degrees feels like in Miami. Between the wind and the lower humidity, it's far more tolerable. Plus, my apartment is a corner unit, so it catches the breeze.

24. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 9, 2010

It is always a matter of perspective, isn't it? :) I have a brother in Tampa, and when I visited there in August one year, I thought I was going to die! :) 8 in the morning felt like walking out into a sauna!! I have to ask, though, what is your perspective on the North Dakota cold? :D

25. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jul 9, 2010

PA. No a/c.

26. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 9, 2010

Yeah, well just don't talk to me about winter. My previous definition of winter is "the three days in January when you turn off your a/c".

I can imagine next winter is going to be brutal for me. That's why I'm enjoying the temperate-to-me summer right now.

27. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 9, 2010

:D Okay, we won't mention the elephant in the room! :) Glad you landed in our neck of the woods AND that you are liking it! :)

28. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 9, 2010

That's the definition I know! :lol:

29. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 9, 2010

Some new building have air conditioning while some others don't. The school were I'm going to be teaching next year doesn't have air conditioning. Hopefully we won't have many hot days in September.

30. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 9, 2010

ABSOLUTELY we have a/c in southern Arizona! It's individually controlled in each classroom. We usually run it from April to Sept/Oct give or take a month or 2.

31. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 9, 2010

We have a/c in some classrooms about 1/4 of the school, including my office and classroom:)

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2010

Our offices, faculty rooms, cafeteria and auditorium have AC. None of the classrooms do.

(And, as a reminder, our dress code mandates jacket and tie for the guys, and either panty hose with a skirt or a jacket with pants for the women.)

But our administrator all also teach, so it's not like they're hiding in those air conditioned offices all day long.

And we do get (some) heat in the winter :)

33. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 9, 2010

In Oregon, I have seen no schools with a/c.

34. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 9, 2010

I teach in Wisconsin, and my school does not have A/C. Granted, I only teach in the heat for about 4-7 weeks out of the year, but it can be BAD! It's hard to get the kids motivated, and when they come in from recess their faces are beat red and sweaty for the next hour because they can't cool down. It's very uncomfortable.

Another unfortunate side effect is that everything gets moist and curls. Papers get stuck in the printer because it's damp and wrinkled. It feels like things are wet. Chairs can't be moved along the carpet because it's wet (when the kids try to scoot their chairs out from their tables to get up, they get stuck!). Last summer I put my bulletin board stuff up a few weeks before school started-never again! The borders curled-I had to do everything over.

It's pretty disgusting! Plus, I HATE the heat, so I get really crabby.

35. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Jul 9, 2010

No A/C for me in Maryland. The computer lab, library, and office all have it though.
    Our newer schools all have it, and it looks like our union is trying to get it in our classrooms.

36. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jul 9, 2010

I'm in Wisconsin too, and teach at a private school. A parent donated window air conditioners for all of the classrooms in our building. They get put in when it starts heating up in the spring(early May this year), and taken out in the fall, usually late October. But, to save energy, we have to turn off all but 1 row of lights in the room.

When we didn't have them, I would turn off all of the lights, turn up the fans, and try to get all of the hardest work out of the way before lunch, so that when they came back in the afternoon and it was sweltering in there, they wouldn't have to think so hard. I encouraged everyone to bring a water bottle, and they could fill it up whenever it was empty, but then, I have a sink in my classroom.

Our principal sometimes bought freeze pops for the whole school.
    She is great!

37. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2010

wow I feel so lucky. I've personally never seen a school without AC, so..... granted in Texas its is hot longer than alot of other places, but.... I can't imagine teaching in a 90 degree room.

38. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

wow...think everywhere in texas has a/c. Wasn't aware the rest of the country wasnt' the same

39. boomer mitra

boomer mitra Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

we too have AC in our school..we have centralized AC system infact.

40. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2010

A good part of the country and Canada have only has a few short weeks of hot weather; it's simply not cost efficient.

But our schools are heated. :)

41. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jul 10, 2010

no AC in my school. The newer buildings in the district do.
    It makes those last few weeks of school really hard. Culturally my girls need to wear long skirts, pants underneath, long sleeves and head coverings (they are Somali refugees). I really feel for them when I'm hot in a summer dress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.