AIMSWeb

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by amedinaoh, Jul 13, 2009.

1. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Jul 13, 2009

AIMSWeb---Does anyone use this? How has it worked for your school. We are just starting this year and will test 3 times during the school year. I think it will be nice to see student growth in a graph form. What about accountability for students receiving support services outside of the classroom? Some are pulled for most of reading.

3. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Jul 13, 2009

We are starting Aims this year too. No info. yet though.

4. lovemyjob

lovemyjob Rookie

Jul 13, 2009

Our district uses it...we only had it for one year so far. K, 1st is very invovled benchmark testing as well as 4th and 5th; 2nd and 3rd are a piece of cake to give. What stinks for us this is the data we are using for services. So if we want a child tested by the child study team it takes a lot of hurdles before that child will get seen. Maybe your district will use it differently, maybe just as a data report. Ours uses it for RTI.

5. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 14, 2009

We started using it this year as well. We use it for documentation for RTI. I teach K and did not find it helpful at all. The students counted to 100 and had to read a list of numbers. I didn't find it useful in letting me know who knew the math they needed to know for kinder.

6. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

We're going to start using it this year as well. It's replacing MAP testing and Dibels for us....

7. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

We've used AIMSWEB for two years now as part of RtI. We were all so worried that this would be the only assessment used to draw on to decide which kids need extra help. We've only used the reading section, and its basically only three-minute fluency checks that we do on every student three times a year. After each one, teachers are given subs as a grade level and we meet with the administrators, spec ed staff and RtI coordinators to discuss the results. That way, if we are seeing a student who did fine with fluency but is struggling in another reading area in the classroom,they can still receive services. As far as what I've seen, it CANNOT be a stand-alone assessment. It has to be used in conjunction with other assessments.

8. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Jul 15, 2009

I didn't know they had a math portion. We are only using the reading one this year.

9. Jack and Annie

Jack and Annie Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

The math portion is just math facts...not very reliable.

10. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Jul 15, 2009

We've used it a few years now. Like others I have found that it's not as reliable as we'd like (my highest students always do poorly because thy have reading skills and my preprimer student (I teach 4th) came out average b/c he just circled words and guessed correctly).

We do both fluency (rdg.) and math as a district. But for individual progress monitoring I've done nonsense words and my partner teacher did comprehension.

My major concern with it is the tests in a format that we do not teach (cloze) and timed readings. We teach reading for meaning, go back and check each word-see if it makes sense...our solution this year is to do more practice AIMS tests to help the students get familiar with the formatting.

11. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2009

We do CBM measurements in reading fluency three times a year and then put the data into the AIMSweb database. I never look at it between, because those CBM readings don't really help me in my work as a 7th grade teacher. I think they are a big waste of my time and the kids'. I could go on a major rant here, but I'll save my breath and your time.

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2009

We do the math benchmarks and reading fluency...I am moving to 1st grade, which I know is much more involved than my 3rd grade testing was. This will be our 3rd year with AIMSweb...I really like it, but not everyone does. We do the reading and math benchmarks 3 times a year and I also progress monitor reading students on a weekly and/or monthly basis. We also use it as part of RtI.

13. MrsCSoup

MrsCSoup Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

We will be using Aims this year as well. I came from a district that used MAP testing and am interested in how this compares. From my understanding, this will be our primary tool for identifying students who may need additional services. If anyone has more information about this I would love to hear it.

14. kbunch24

kbunch24 Rookie

Jul 18, 2009

We have used AIM's Web for the past three years. We use this program for our weekly CBM measure. We enter the students scores into the database in order to progress monitor which students are making growth and which students need more intervention. We use this program also because it is what our state uses for state goals in reading growth.

15. 4SpecialEd

4SpecialEd Rookie

Jan 7, 2011

How do you backup your AIMSWeb data?

Would one of you users be so kind as to share how to backup my data? I would hate to have to enter it all again. Thank you very much.

16. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 8, 2011

We have used AIMSweb for about 3/4 years now. It is just one form of assessment we use to measure our students' growth. We have a team that comes in to CBM the children, and during our weekly meetings, we analyze the data. We use this information for RTI, classroom differentiation, and progress monitoring. Again, this is just one piece of the puzzle.
    I don't have any problems with it, however, the data is very limited.

17. TripleTeach

TripleTeach Rookie

Jan 10, 2011

Our school is using MAP testing for the first time this year. What is the advantage of AIMSweb over MAP?

18. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Jan 10, 2011

They've redone the math portion either last year or this year. It's MUCH better - and works story problems! It's a great progress monitoring tool. The teacher next door to me has a husband who is a principal in our neighboring district. They use it with amazing results and LOVE it!

Our district has used the reading portion of AIMSweb for years. I don't know how many, but this is my 4th year and it has been around longer than I have! Reading/English and K-5 teachers say it gives great results. I hope you all discover the same thing!